Gt40 replicas and discussion of pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I couldn't contain myself.

Holy cow guys. I duck out for a week or so and when I return, hoping for an interesting read over my morning coffee, you guys have turned even the main forums into the Paddock.

Is it something in the air, or just the general crappy'ness of the world's economy that's turning everyone into self appointed policemen and ruffians with nothing better to do than to riducule each other, puffing out their chests in self-serving recognition of their own brilliance?

Seriously, delete the damn thread FFS. Where are the moderators? Do we have the 'right' moderators? This is all getting far too boring.............:thumbsdown:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Is it something in the air, or just the general crappy'ness of the world's economy that's turning everyone into self appointed policemen and ruffians with nothing better to do than to riducule each other, puffing out their chests in self-serving recognition of their own brilliance?

I'm sure Edward will be happy to write a few short words on the subject.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Wow! I just read this all the way through. So here's what I think. There are two types of GT40s. The orginal cars including the sub set of safar and H&M cars at less ultima value, and everything else. What I believe we are talking about is the everything else.

I will exclude the avengers and similar kit cars because people on this website will generally do so. They are not what at least 90% of the regulars would consider to be replica GT40s.

Then I would divide the everything else group into currently in production kits such as RCR, ERA, Tornado, CAV etc. and the older out of production makers such as the orginal GTD's, KVA's, and even the old Roaring 40's.

Then I would have a look at the car, consider the current cost to buy the kit, if a current builder and add up the cost of the parts on the car, add a value for paint at about 50%-80% of a mid cost paint job but not more than $5K. Lastly add the value of a current licence plate and SB100 in california. I would put this at another 2 as much as 10K for a california current sb100 car.

For the older builders I would try and come up with the orginal cost of the kit. These are generally are much less than the current cars in production. Usually somewhere around 50 - 75% of the newer cars. My GTD for example cost about 35K as a kit. The current RCR for example cost about 45K and you need to buy a gearbox, so add another 5-10 grand and you have a cost for a current kit as an example of about 50-55K.

Then the additional parts are added to these baseline costs and you will arrive at something usually around 45-55K for a "old" car and 65-85K for a "new" car. Tag on the additional value for title and you have a baseline value.

You will note I attach on value to labor.

Please don't attack me for my evaluation, You can disagree, but I 'm not far off on this. There is always exceptions such as death of the owner, going broke, the old lady leaving, etc. These will effect the value but are on a case by case basis.

My guess is about + or - 10% from my baseline will get you a really good deal depending on if you are buying or selling.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Wow! I just read this all the way through. So here's what I think. There are two types of GT40s. The orginal cars including the sub set of safar and H&M cars at less ultima value, and everything else. What I believe we are talking about is the everything else..

Exactly right, but you left out the most interesting (to me, of course) and most troublesome case: Superformance. Is it part of "everything else" or part of "the subset", and why?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Oh.....Alan.........Now you are going to get me in trouble........... Hummmmmmmm? I think that currently built cars in 2012 are not Orginal GT40s from the good old days of the 60's.

They are not built for Ford with the purpose to win LeMans. With these I include the Gulf cars that were built for the same purpose.

Now the question of a modern day car constructed by a current car builder to mimic the orginal, no matter how closely. By the way there have been several people who have done this. Some on this forum. I do not think they would say that they have hand built an orginal car and pass it off as one. So IMHO they are not in the same group as the orginal cars. I think that pricing of the new cars (all) in relation to the orginal cars bears this out. The market is speaking..........listen.

Please SPF people I mean no disrespect. But I do have an opinion.......and it's free....so thats what it is worth. In fact all of the current cars, if built well, are wonderful and I would be happy to own any of them.

I'm with Howard on this one. The market will always drive the value of our replica's.
So, the real answer as to what it's worth will always be, whatever the market will bear.

Seriously, delete the damn thread FFS. Where are the moderators? Do we have the 'right' moderators? This is all getting far too boring.............:thumbsdown:

I agree, hostility is damaging to this website's foundation.
It has the potential to make a lot of readers uncomfortable.

Here are the facts:
A self proclaimed expert that has yet to drive his car once in 2 years.
Who made 1,563 posts most of them just as hostile, just as antagonistic,
messed up my thread, and that is frustrating. So I made a new one.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Oh.....Alan.........Now you are going to get me in trouble........... Hummmmmmmm?.

I think the easy way out is simply to declare that SPFs fall in their own category in the middle since they are not kits, and are an attempt to make a mostly-exact replica at a vastly lower price point. So I think we could be excused for calling them "category 1.5".

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I agree, hostility is damaging to this website's foundation.
It has the potential to make a lot of readers uncomfortable.

Here are the facts:
A self proclaimed expert that has yet to drive his car once in 2 years.
Who made 1,563 posts most of them just as hostile, just as antagonistic,
messed up my thread, and that is frustrating. So I made a new one.

Mark -- aren't you glad you asked? Don't say I didn't warn you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back