GT40 replicas

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Just a couple of comments here.

First, is the fit of parts. No matter what car you get, if you are smart, you will plan on doing a fair amount of fitting. I am not talking about fabricating (although if you plan to make the car YOURS, you should plan on doing some of this or having it done also), but fitting: little tweaks and nudges to get the parts to fit RIGHT. Early in my build, I made a comment about having to fit the majority of the parts on the car to the NASCAR Busch and ARCA car builder whose shop I used from time to time and whose advice I used almost daily. He told me that, even with the detailed specifications on the race cars, the competition amongst parts vendors, and the price they paid for parts, they still have to "fit" nearly all the parts used on their cars as well. So, if you are looking for a tinker toys assembly project, you may be looking at the wrong hobby.

Second is in regards to the comment about RCR cars; the website is just enough to whet the apetite. Ian, or anyone else considering a GT40, you need to talk to Fran. I think you will find that all of the important parts are included excepting, of course, the engine/transaxle combination. Fran's cars are very inclusive. If you are building a track car, there is very little that will be required outside of the drive train, wheels and tires. If you are building a street/track car, only the creature comfort items will be needed (as is the case with most kits.)

Regards,
Lynn

I am in the process of making the complicated descision that all of you have made in picking a replica.
My criteria is as follows:
1.Originality
2.Best construction
3.Ease and fit of parts in build.
4.Best build support.
5.Price (best dollar value not cheapest)
6.Most satisfying upon completion.
7.Best handling.

1 RF 40 is spaceframe ERA stainless steel tub (like the original)
2.Best Contruction. By far ERA makes the best Cobra and GT40
3. ERA comes complete and all parts fit.
4 Best built support. You live in CT and ERA is in CT. What better support.
5. By far ERA is the most expensive but you get what you pay.
6. I have been an ERA customer for 15 years with 4 cars. I have not meet any customer with complains. Nobody is perfect but Peter Portante get out is way to please its customers.
7. You have all the options to make a car handle. Original GT40 are hard to handle, brakes are a pain (too small non power assisted) and hard to shift. Do not think that you have a state of art racing car. I am happy with my new ERA GT but a lot was changed from my original GT. Brakes, engine, tires were improved. Shifting in a right hand drive is better than a left hand GT. But It takes practice to get used to it.

Ron McCall

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
How NOT to do this.....create an accurate Mark I from scratch. Oooooh what a headache.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get it yet???
I want to see it !

[ QUOTE ]
Mark - if you own the slot car in your avatar, please post a few pics of your track! A few folks here happen to pass the time waiting for their 40s with a little slot car racing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Al,

Yes, the slot car in the avatar is mine - a Fly model. The track and 3 more GT40s belong to my son (along with many more cars). Since we live in the land of outrageous home prices, we do "carpet racing" as there is no room for a permanent track in our tiny US $1M track home.

Perhaps we should start a thread on the best GT40 slot car!

Mark

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Mark,
You must be joking!!
You want to try buying a home here, UK.
How about a studio flat, kitchen in lounge, approx 32 m2, £200,000.00
Thank god i sold and moved out long ago.
In London, a double garage recently sold for over £300,000!!!
And it wasnt even in the middle of the city, it was in the suburbs.
Figures published by a major mortgage lender show, that in the last 7 years, property prices have risen by , on average, 126%. If you sample selected areas, that 126% has been determined in 4 years!!!
Thats what i call Capitalism.
Finally, the top performer, in terms of area, prices rose by 67% in one 12 month period.
Wish id had a block of flats there, imagine the slot car setup i could have had?!!!

Charlie,

Good point. I travel to the UK quite often and am often reminded of how outrageous property values can get - esp in London and Cambridge (where my company is located).

That said, the California Bay area is quite outrageous compared to most of the US. For about 1/2 the price of my small house with almost no yard I could own a 3 - 4,000 sq ft house on 1/2 acre in a nice neighborhood in many areas of the US. Of course this begs the question "why am I still here?"

Mark

Back