GT40 to the Cannonball

Well...

My first day with an E-mail address so I could join this great forum...

My first attempt to communicate on line, thanks to the neighbor's teenager who just left...

So I'll try for something simple like letting you guys know that my CAV will be on the road in ten days, and then it's off to the Cannonball One Lap Of America six weeks later. If all goes well my new baby will have 10,000 miles and 17 times track events under its belt two month from today. It sounds simple enough, doesn't it????

Buzz Welcome to the forum...... nice to here from somebody doing somthing we all would love to do.....one lap of america, that's going to be a blast.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Vic

Thanks for the welcome.

What does the one in parenthesis "(1)" under the replies to this post mean.

Hey Buzz,

The (1) or (2) or whatever shows you how many replies you haven't read yet. Or at least the number of replies that have come in since you last looked at the topic. There's no rule that you actually have to read them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Buzz, If you have any questions call me during the day when I am at my computer and I'll walk you through them. 757 494-2137. Nice talking to you the other day.

Steve: Thanks! Now I see how that one works.

Rick: So far so good. I'm on computer information overload at this point. Must be like that first day standing in the garage looking at all the parts to a complete RF kit...., but knowing Hersh and Robert are nearby. You're encouragement on the phone got me rolling. So thanks! Now kidnapping another teenager to get my pictures into the computer and then posted on the forum is next.

David: One of my concerns is if my codriver has an emergency timing coflict for the April 30 to May 8 race. Are you volunteering? If so you are now oficially Forum Alternate #1.

[ QUOTE ]
David: One of my concerns is if my codriver has an emergency timing coflict for the April 30 to May 8 race. Are you volunteering? If so you are now oficially Forum Alternate #1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Buzz,
Don't take Dave, he snores.
Take me instead!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Buzz,
My navigation is impeccable even using Astro, Dead reckoning, INS, IRS, DECCA, Consul, Loran, ADF, VOR and GPS and whats more I'm qualified to do it in Zero visibility and in spite of Tony's comments, I only sleep below 120 mph. (Low boredom threshold) but alas, I need to stand down from being No 1 reserve, and I would therefore nominate Tony in my place. Unfortunately I have a pressing engagement in Italy on 7-9th May (LMES event at Monza) and this pays my bills, me having to supporting 4 blondes with expensive lifestyles.
I hope Tony can help you though you may have to cut a hole in the top of the passengers door to get him in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Regards
Dave

Hey Tony & Dave,

I can certainly understand Dave having to fore-go the Forum Alternate #1 position because he has an engagement pressing four blonds. Personally I commend Dave's stamina.

I am sure that you gentlemen on that side of the pond are probably well informed about the modern day Cannonball One Lap of America, but for those blokes across the bigger pond some clarification might be in order.

The old Cannonball was an outlaw race across the country as fast as you could get there. Three thousand miles in thirty to forty hours.

The modern day, politically correct, Cannonball does not involve racing on the public streets. There are 6000 road miles and 17 timed track events at different road race circuits around the country. Each day the contestants compete in a morning and an afternoon time trial event at a major road race circuit. Each night they drive to the next track in anticipation of an 8:00 AM check in. If they drive the speed limit, they will get there in time. No support vehicles, no support personnel...just the two smiling entrants and their GT40.

The first day is a skid pad event at the Tire Rack in Indiana, the events major sponsor. Leave at 5:00 PM and drive 700+ miles that night and be ready to race the next two events in Kansas on the second day. Then off another 600+ miles to Colorado. The third night is the killer. Leave the track by 4:00, drive through Colorado, Utah, Nevada and California....crossing the Rockies and the Sierras....and arrive twenty hours later at 12:00 noon after 1300 + miles to race near San Francisco. Continue the insanity for a total of nine days, seventeen track events, and close to 6,000 road miles driven mostly during the eight intervening nights.

Therefore, snoring is not an acceptable attribute even in a self proclaimed, world class, Zero visibility navigator such as yourself Dave. Thank heaven for those blonds.... and Tony's heads-up.

Ron Earp

Admin
This years' schedule is rough! I've always wanted someone to compete with a 40 in the One Lap but it hasn't happened. Question - do you have One Lap expereince? After talking with one guy I know that has done it and reading the coverage in road and track over the last few years a well-sorted car is a must to have a chance in finishing. And as for winning, well, well-sorted, luck, and a whole lot else is needed.

The big disadvantage with a 40 that there is just no place to put things you'll need during the competition. You'll need tools and some spare bits plus some bare items for yourself. Good luck with the run and please post progress here while you compete!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

A couple of years ago I had an appointment to meet Jimmy Price of Superformance for the first time, at the Cannonball at Watkins Glen. I was aprehensive about what I would find...I found the SPF team, the Olthoff's with the SPF Cobra and a small trailer..packed with parts, tools and other needs hooked to a trailer hitch that took the place of the "quick jacks" on a "normal" Cobra. The effort expended by the team, and the way Jimmy jumped in and helped remove extra weight to improve speed really impressed me!

The point is, if you can add a hitch ball, you can take everything you need!!!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron,

What a great site and service. I've been lurking for four months....now I have some stuff to contribute. If I can learn about pictures there will be a lot more.

I don't have any One Lap experience. I have spent about $4,000 with Keith Code's California Superbike Schools over a five year period.... a couple thousand on Tim Oneil's world rally driving school in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.....and assorted club days at The Glen and Mid Ohio. I just love feeling those tires going sideways...especially when there are only two of them. The GT40 is the long term dream that will keep me from dropping the 3rd ZX-11. I don't bounce as well anymore, and I totaled the first two....not my fault, but just as painful.

My goal is far from winning the One Lap. I have never seen any of the tracks. Some of the top contenders have champion drivers with many hundreds of laps on each track. Winning....no chance. Finishing, and having a blast....good plan.

Who said storage will be a problem? The pictures will eventually show the custom, one inch receiver, tow hitch that we fabricated to bolt onto the CAV at six points. Until this week I was going to pull a large motorcycle-type trailer with whatever was needed.

The new plan is far better. Picture a one inch square hitch receiver two inches below the rear end of the ZF. Without a trailer hitch installed in the receiver the body tilts with no problem. Now consider that from the top of the hitch to the tail pipes on my CAV is 10.5 inches. The bottom of my tailpipes are at the same height as the bottom of my taillights. Now picture the "Basket" you would design that would be about 18" deep coming back off of the hitch and 46" wide from center of tailight to center of tailight. Off of this "platform" you have ten and one half inches of height from left to right. The driver's two small gym bags fit on his side of the basket....the passangers two on the other side....and two helmets in bags under the center exhaust. Pack it all up with bungy(sp) cords like on a motorcycle, or add some stainless for protection. Heavy tools, a clutch disc, and a complete axle assembly fit up front after we moved the horn and washer bottle around.

When we get to the track we will pull the pin and slide the basket assembly out of the tow hitch receiver in one piece. If we get to a hotel we just walk our bags inside, and leave the basket attached. The best part is we can drive through Nevada at over 100mph without considering a swaying trailer. The worst case scenario was going to be 500 lb.ft. of torque...on 335/35/17 Michlins...in the rain...through the Rockies...with a trailer adding to the fun. Now we loose the trailer!

I have another design for individual left and right baskets working off the same mount. If I want to go on a trip later a basket on one side may have enough storage and be easier to handle.

John D:

Thanks for the welcome.

You'll be one of many on the east coast to get a chance to see the car in the next month. Lots of street and track miles planned before April 30th to break whatever can be broken before the event.

OK, you know it IS possible to get a speeding ticket in Nevada, don't you? Or is that just factored into the cost of the event?

That Pikes Peak to Sears Point leg is going to be a real bear. You do pick up an hour at the Nevada border as you cross time zones, but still... 1300 miles in 24 hours... I've driven straight through from Salt Lake City to the Bay Area in a day, but that's only about 800 miles.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for finding me that extra hour. Things are looking up already!

The third night is the worst with the 1300+ miles in 20 hours, but the last night is no picknick with a run from Oaklahoma to Wisconsin in 15 hours.

Ahhh. The joys of temporary insanity.

Back