GTD chassis, rip off?

yes, 'spose so. You'd think they would keep a bit quiet about it or at least say "GT40 replica chassis" and not "GTD"

Keith

Surely almost every replica is a "replica" of a KVA and a GTD? And since there's no such company anymore whose going to stop them?

I can't imagine why they're calling it a "GTD" however, why not "Western GT" ? :laugh:

Looks a nice piece of fabrication though..

Malcolm

Supporter
Agreed why call it a GTD chassis when it clearly differs in a large number of areas? Not saying it is worse but it is not a GTD chassis, unless of course the statement that a GTD 40 is an exact copy of a Ford GT40 is also true!

Keith

A stab in the dark. If GTD was the most prolific and best known GT40 replica worldwide with kits still being built up even after the company's demise, perhaps someone thought that they could piggy back on the brand's past reputation and history without incurring a "passing off" penalty? But, it's probably a lot simpler than that and perhaps someone will enlighten us.

It doesn't matter if they don't though 'cos it's just a boring Monday and I'm just passing time.... :snore:

Definately not a GTD chassis - or even that similar really.

See this thread of old to see what a bare chassis does look like:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-parts-sale/13690-gtd-chassis-available-again.html

Also - I believe that Ray Christopher retains the intellectual / design rights to the GTD Chassis still which was develped I think in the name of Uni-Chassis. It can be produced 'under licence' but with a commission payable.

Well - that's as I understand it.

I suspect that this bunch are describing it as a GTD as that was possibly most likely the most prolific / successful 40 chassis produced. Bang on the mark Keith!

At least they could have put in enough effort to spell correctly on the main page of the website! This is the face of the company to the public.

Ron Earp

Admin
I suspect that this bunch are describing it as a GTD as that was possibly most likely the most prolific / successful 40 chassis produced.

How many chassis were produced?

I would estimate that the GTD is the replica with the highest production numbers. Empirical evidence suggests that GTD produced more replicas than any other manufacturer - everytime a GT40 is up for sale, especially in England/Europe, it is more than likely a GTD.

Didn't someone have a registry of them at one time?

Ron

I cannot see on any of their site where they claim to make GTD chassis.

They clearly stated that they were asked to work on a customers project GTD and they have fabricated a very different chassis and suspension.

If the camera has not lied, it would appear that they have done a very good job and we should applaud them, and not be critical of them.

Graham.

Having worked for GTD for 10years and probably like a stick of rock for the old company, hearing companies riding off back of the GTD Banner grates (let alone what Ray and Graham must think) but as we all know GTD was a morphed KVA blahh........ it all keeps the GT40 banner flying, but GTD, Tornado and the likes have a provern track record which inspires confidence when in these times of watching the pennies a purchase of 40 or assosiated parts can be a sizeable outlay. Using someone elses work or rep- is one way of trying to pull in work but if you are that good be your selves and don't prefess to be something your not.

Sorry about that just got off soap box,
Confirm that there was close to 400 chassis numbers when I was still there. Quite a few stamped by yours truely. Early years circa before early '88 were patchy to wether they were put in the book or not (they would have been put in the sales record)s. During '89 Andy Bennet and Ray introduced the Chassis number book which consisted of the early numbers then latter the longer chassis number was introduced when low volume type approval was being sort. There may be more than 400 a chat with Ray would confirm.

I cannot see on any of their site where they claim to make GTD chassis.

They clearly stated that they were asked to work on a customers project GTD and they have fabricated a very different chassis and suspension.

Yes, I interpreted it the same way Graham. I don't see them claiming to be making new GTD chassis.

Austin

The fab work on that car looks pretty darn good to me, at least as good, if not better, than any GTD I've seen.

mardyn

Back