Just to compare J5 as it is with historic photos from prior to 67 Le Mans

Attachments

• 1967_Ford_GT40MarkIV22.jpg
    1967_Ford_GT40MarkIV22.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 549
  • 1967 MK-IV 427 8v TP.jpg
    1967 MK-IV 427 8v TP.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 382
Hello gents. Don't post much but looking at the pics of J-5 it's interesting how strikingly it is this J-5 rear suspension looks like a McLaren M8A/B Can-Am car's suspensions. From the uprights to the anti roll bar to the upper link and lower reverse "bone" and the trailing links it looks so similar.

So here's my curiosity.
Since Bruce was involved in most of the development and racing process of the Ford GT40 program did he get a lot of ideas for his cars from the GT40? Who designed the GT40 suspension? Who designed the first M8 suspensions.

It's understandable that this type of layout was already popular in the early 60s for formula and sports cars so but how did that era suspensions get formulated? Seems that the same designs just got "beefier" as the horsepower of the vehicle went up but there were only subtle geometry differences and links.
Someone school me on this.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but the pictures just got me thinking.

Thanks Jim! That was a swell read. Bruce must have met Klaus I bet. He also worked closely with Roy Lunn with the GT40 program. What a time it must have been! Great stuff.:thumbsup:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> "....., tried to include the rear body where the shipping damage was."

Was able to catch what I believe is the repair to the rear bodywork.

regards
Jim P.

Attachments

• J5 at THF b.jpg
    J5 at THF b.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 333
Back