Heart Rate fun

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
I got a Fitbit watch for my birthday back in March, so have had plenty of time to see what my heart rate does in different conditions.
In ascending order we have

Sleeping 55bpm
Resting 60bpm
Working at computer 74bpm
Driving a BMW 320D 98bpm
Cutting hedge Friday Afternoon 113bpm
s*x 115bpm - how disappointing haha
Excitement before getting in GT40 116bpm
Running on treadmill sweating and breathing hard 128bpm
Driving GT40 no sweating, no breathing hard, just pure joy 133bpm

This leads to a good question - is driving a GT40 good exercise or not?
Answer - who cares, let's just get back in and drive it again!!!

Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Glenn, yes I think we had better leave that one there.
Actually Glenn, I will add, and I guess that I am not alone in this, if I have been silly enough to neglect my wife, she rightly tells me that if I love the GT40 that much then I should sleep in the garage with it! Ouch!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mine is locked at 61 and its wire controlled from small box inserted under my left chest abeam my shoulder joint. I have a direct
contact to Harefield Hospital by a system that has a GSM phone built in. I should take it everywhere with me but I don't and so far they haven't queried it. Part of the unit in my chest is a defibrillator as well and the surgeons demonstrate it once it's live to your heart. I've queried it but as things stand, even if I have a heart problem, my system will keep me going not matter what. The batteries are supposed to last 10 years and I've had it for 2 years now. I've been out on a classic motorcycle and clocked 130mph but my heart stayed the same at 61 bpm. Maybe I should ask the monitoring unit if they can crank me up a little bit and could I cope with certain other things?

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi David, first of all, do us all a favour and take your phone with you wherever you go. You don't know when it might be the one thing. I know that I speak for the forum when I say we do care, so save us the worry and take the bloody phone, right!
I suppose that your locked rate means that you have to pace yourself carefully, if you go too fast there will be insufficient oxygen in to balance the effort. How does that work for you? Were you passenger or driver on the motorcycle? It would be a natural reaction for the heart to beat faster due to excitement, your body must still release adrenalin and tell your heart to beat faster, but the signal is over-ridden by the pacemaker I guess.
Built in defibrillator is amazing, all on a small chip.
Stay safe Dave and look forward to hearing about progress on the GT40.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Dave,
It was exactly 61 when I woke up this morning- the same as I when I went to bed last night.
If I over do things I guess Harefield will call me in and adjust things. Yes - I am now carrying my cell phone
all the time - mainly because I am installing one of these video doorbells and currently if I am upstairs and someone rings, it takes me a while to get down stairs and open the gates. I took my BP monitor cuff and measure the results quite a few times of the day. It only ever increases in the anticipation of a hot curry. The rest it's 130/80 and 61 bpm.
I used to think I was indestructable but realise I',m anything but, and rely on a battery. My bucket list is to ride in the two seat Spitfire and the surgeons at Kings college Hospital are considering it. They've banned me from Diving now which is sad. Maybe if the G is kept to a minimum the aeroplane ride will be OK. I see the surgeons on Wednesday this week. Thank you for your concern.

I was solo on the Ninja. It feels a bit like my Ducati though slightly lower C of G. The owner told me he reached 175 on it recorded on a GPS. I think I still would prefer the Duc but it was sold into Germany and the guy who bought it has it mounted in his front room on the wall.

My (rather painful) record was at the end of a long whitewater slalom course at the World Masters in 1998. I was 52 years old. Approximately 200 bpm. I wasn't sure I was going to survice, but at least I won...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bob,
I can imagine the pain. Mine was doing 190 when they made the decision to burn the natural wires and instate the pacemaker. 200 is quite astounding.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I remember doing a 'beep test' in the military which involved running up and down marked lines in a gym and you had to complete it before each beep which got faster and faster. At the end we had to measure our heartrate and mine was highest at 200... I though I was in for a beasting due to lack of fitness but the instructor said I was the only one trying so he made the rest of the troop do it again!!!! Guess who was most popular member of the troop that day......lol

Back