HELP Looking for information on this orange Superformance GT40 SPF 2214

Pat / The rest of it is in originality. The molds my car's body panels were produced from were from an original (number 1008 I am told). Yes there are a number of symmetry differences, but I believe those same differences were on the original. That doesn't mean I have to like it though. Then there are the changes I have made to straighten out the symmetry differences and also to make all of the scoops functional, door boxes, tilt front clip, perfect shut lines, etc.
The side impact protection is something that you'd be wise to look into regardless of the mfgr of your car. This might be a point also in favor of the SPF as they may have this in all cars. The originals had none.
Bottom line is that you pretty much get what you pay for and are willing to invest your time in.
Pat does not want to be in a position to be upside down in his GT from an investment perspective. I wish him all the luck in the world because honestly - I know of no one here that is NOT upside down.
---
With that - I am headed back out to my shop where I will continue the journey with my GT40..

Thanks Randy,
I know the storage issue caused you alot of issues, but the "Originality" is something I have issue with also. I think there are issues with the molds that should have been addressed many moons ago. I'll leave it at that(your much more diplomatic than me). One of your favorite quotes of mine while you were asking for help from Fran,ect.... "Any suggestions short of dynamite or a can of gas and a match would be VERY appreciated!!!" I took up these issues with Fran. He suggested that I should follow the build log of a friend of his that had better luck. I added up the hours he spend setting the body and it was over 50. I might add that the engineering capabilities of that gentleman was waaaay beyond me. This didn't make me feel much better.
Your side impact work was awesome. and after looking at it for 5 mins the decision was made that I would do it too. I remember thinking ARGH!! more time not on the road doing this, but thanks to you I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel, just copy your work.
As far as the value/upside down question. There are two MKII's for sale by Superformance dealers right now. both used 2k and 5k miles and both with 45kish worth of Roush 427's and RBT's. 1 for 120k the other for 130k.
On the surface I don't believe these are astronomical prices (although I dont know the cars). So someone purchasing them couldn't get hurt too bad.
Here is the flip side. The car I am trying to find out info for is an MK1 (my preference). This Superformance dealer (not the same as who has the other cars) tried to sell me the car for 170,000. The car has an engine/trans package worth less than half that of the other MKII's and it has over 20,000 miles on it. Big difference. If you saw Ricks post this same car was at Barrett Jackson on consignment by them for 149,000. Now what something is for sale for and what it can be bought for are quite often two very different numbers. I'm not complaining about what they would have LIKED to sell me the car for. They can ask whatever they like. I didn't try to deal on the car, because i didn't know then if I wanted it for sure. I still don't know. Thats why i'm trying to do my due diligence :thumbsup:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Have you considered an ERA? Still up there with the best of the GT40 replicas IMO (of course I'm biased), little deviation from original and the one to go for prior to the Superformance explosion. Even though no longer supplied direct from ERA, you should be able to get into a good used one for your $100K budget.

As an aside it amuses me there is so much discussion on authenticity and then virtually everyone goes and places an order for a LHD!

Julian

Julian,
Thanks for the imput.
I guess I kinda dismissed the ERA because they don't make them anymore. I do remember when I was a kid back in the 70's that was the Cobra to have back then. I don't know that much about the GT40's they build, but I probably should learn. There is a really nice one in Fresno for close to a 100. One thing that bothers me is the A/C visible under the dash, but maybe something could be done with that.

Steve

Supporter
Pay no attention to Mike, he lives at 8000 feet and the air is much cooler up there.........and apparently a little thin too:shocked:. Just kidding Mike!

You're in a bit of a dilemma, the price range your looking at is a bit low for a SPF, even a MkII. Coming down to that price range, however, could require a ton of work on your part (RCR). Your tiime is worth some money as well, and don't discount the cost of materials. I don't know what Randy has into his car on top of the purchase price but I'll bet it's a lot more than you'd put into a SPF after the purchase.

Many have put a lot into having Dennis Olthoff work on there cars. Dennis does great work and extremely knowledgeable. A lot of the work he does involves sorting out screwups made to an existing car or custom race prep that you may not want/need (brake ducts, sway bars, roll bar or cage, fuel cells, fire suppression etc).

My advice, if you really want a MkI, is to find a roller for sale. There are a couple for sale around 110k. After you've swallowed some of that expense, purchase an inexpensive SBF and a transaxle and do the install yourself. That avoids a lot of the expensive and time consuming body work and custom fabrication. You can always add more upgrades over time if you desire.

It's my impression that the SPF do hold there value and if you avoid lots of customization you can get out of it most of what you'll put in it. As Howard pointed out, the market is small and a sale will take time for sure.

If you go the route Mike has gone, you probably won't get out of the car anywhere near what you have in it......but his car is gorgeous and he does appear to enjoy the heck out of it (Mike, I expect before and after videos with sound when you change out your engine)!!

Pay no attention to Mike, he lives at 8000 feet and the air is much cooler up there.........and apparently a little thin too:shocked:. Just kidding Mike!

You're in a bit of a dilemma, the price range your looking at is a bit low for a SPF, even a MkII. Coming down to that price range, however, could require a ton of work on your part (RCR). Your tiime is worth some money as well, and don't discount the cost of materials. I don't know what Randy has into his car on top of the purchase price but I'll bet it's a lot more than you'd put into a SPF after the purchase.

Many have put a lot into having Dennis Olthoff work on there cars. Dennis does great work and extremely knowledgeable. A lot of the work he does involves sorting out screwups made to an existing car or custom race prep that you may not want/need (brake ducts, sway bars, roll bar or cage, fuel cells, fire suppression etc).

My advice, if you really want a MkI, is to find a roller for sale. There are a couple for sale around 110k. After you've swallowed some of that expense, purchase an inexpensive SBF and a transaxle and do the install yourself. That avoids a lot of the expensive and time consuming body work and custom fabrication. You can always add more upgrades over time if you desire.

It's my impression that the SPF do hold there value and if you avoid lots of customization you can get out of it most of what you'll put in it. As Howard pointed out, the market is small and a sale will take time for sure.

If you go the route Mike has gone, you probably won't get out of the car anywhere near what you have in it......but his car is gorgeous and he does appear to enjoy the heck out of it (Mike, I expect before and after videos with sound when you change out your engine)!!

Thanks Mike,
Really good advise. I only know of the one MK1 Blk roller at Hillbank Irvine. if you know of another let me know. I really like alot of the mods Dennis Olthoff does. I think I would be buying the parts and doing the install myself. No race mods needed (unfortunately) no track here in Hawaii. It wasn't that long ago that you could find SPF rollers on the internet for 75-80.

Steve

Supporter
Pat, you'll find 2 at Gulf Coast Motorwerks. It wasn't that long ago that rollers listed for 83k. Now a roller is somewhere north of 110k I think.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I live at 9k but drive mainly at 5k. I honestly don't think these cars need a/c. The only time I get uncomfortable is on those few occasions getting stuck in traffic on a hot day. If you have the little helicopter vents and are moving more than 20mph, there is good airflow through the cabin

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It wasn't that long ago that you could find SPF rollers on the internet for 75-80.

Actually it has been several years since those prices were current. And there were some killer deals on cars bought early on by "gotta have the new thing" people who drove 100 miles and then took a bath. They are also gone.

The price now is due to the costs of build and the parts involved. The GT40 is NOT a simple build for the factory and the add-ons (ZF, etc.) are not cheap BUT the sum of the parts makes a hell of a car that is at least a million dollars less than an FAV chassis.

Hey, I have a open build slot for 60 day build as compared to 10-12 months so semi-instant gratification IS possible!

Mike,
I live in Hawaii at sea level in 65-90% humidity. At 6am this morning is was sweating on the couch watching Formula One and finally had to turn on the A/C. There's not enough helicopter vents in North America to keep me from melting LOL. But at least I don't have to shovel snow and can enjoy it 365 (with A/C) :)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I spent a month or so about a year ago strongly considering a move to Oahu. Didn't look like a great place for a GT40 or any sports car for that matter. I think if I lived there I'd ride my bike and not even have a car. That and spend a lot of time surfing and scuba.

I spent a month or so about a year ago strongly considering a move to Oahu. Didn't look like a great place for a GT40 or any sports car for that matter. I think if I lived there I'd ride my bike and not even have a car. That and spend a lot of time surfing and scuba.

How about if we just have your GT40 move to Oahu. :thumbsup: It will be well taken care of.
I live on Oahu. There is a million people on this island. About 1.4 mil in all Hawaii. There is a thriving sports car culture here. There is a dealership for Ferrari, Lambo, Bently, Maserati. The Porsche dealer has a 918 in the showroom. I've seen an MC12 here. There are plenty of Cobras, and at least 1 GT40 (CAV i think).There is a lot of money here. Lots of amazing drives to go on. Just no race track.
I actually Moved to my part of Oahu because there was a race complex here.
Drag strip, dirt oval, Motocross track, and a road course. I sold my Formula ford before I came here, but came with two race karts. Two months after I moved here they closed the track. Now 9 years later still no track. :thumbsdown:

SPF rollers started at $65k if I recall. The finished car with RBT and Rousch 427 finished by Oltoff was around $100k. An early car might meet your budget...

I did the Hawaii move back in the mid 80s. That was fun. Too crowded for me back then.

2214 was owned by David Briggs who used to post quite a bit here. You can search for info on the car. He owned a CAV, but wrecked it pretty hard. That's why the motor and trans in 2214 originally came from a CAV. He posted about it here as well.

Ian

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
What HOWARD said!!!! :pepper:

Sure do wish I could :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Doug

Back