Help with career search

So i guess like most everyone else in the economy I am finding it increasingly hard to find a career. I'm lucky that I do have a temporary job, but since graduating in December 08 I havent had much luck. I'm posting this to ask if anyone here could help me, for instance, if you do business with a company that is looking for someone or might be interested. Here is a little about myself... feel free to shoot me a PM and I can send a resume.

Masters in Graphic Arts (Dec. 2008)
Bachelors in Graphic Arts (May 2007)

I've got almost a year of experience(my current job) in prepress and 5 years in screen printing. I am looking for a full-time career with opportunities to progress. What I do is not as important as the type of experience I will get and where I can apply it. With that said something related to graphics, layouts, design, that sort of thing.

Most of my experience is related to Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and currently learning Flash and Actionscript 3. I also am an artist, fimilar with many media inculding graphite, painting, mixed media, acrylic.

Outside of arts, I am skilled in mig welding, fabrication, tuning, electrical, drivetrain, and just about anything else dealing with a car other than painting. I completely rebuilt a 90 mustang to 351w twin turbo, a/w intercooler, cage, fast xfi, and so on.

I have considered working for a performance shop before and am open to this as well. Maybe I could even bring my art skills to the table. My dream career would be meshing automobile and arts together.

I am VERY willing to move for the right opportunity, I have no real ties to the area so moving is very feasible.

So thats it, if you guys have any comments or questions just ask, I appreciate all of your time.

So is CAV or RCR hiring? :thumbsup:

I'm really beginning to think that going for my masters has hindered my search right now, compounded by the economy.

I'm really beginning to think that going for my masters has hindered my search right now, compounded by the economy.

Hi Mike,

I got out of Uni at just the right time to get employed before the recession of the early 90's hit. A buddy of mine got it wrong and was a year too late.
It seems like a drama now but 5 years from now it'll have worked out and you'll be glad to have got the extra education.

My advise would be to go where the work is. Its my experience getting a job long distance is a hard ask, moving from the UK to Australia I got absolutely nowhere trying to find a job in Aus before I moved, when I got here though it took only a few days to get sorted out.
In your case I'd think takeing yourself to NYC or San Fran for a couple of weeks, go knock on doors and introduce yourself. At most only 50% of jobs ever get advertised.

Mike, I don't think your MFA has anything to do with it. The number of GAs far outnumbers
the number of GA positions, and it has been that way for as long as I remember. Even in
the San Fran, LA and NYC area, where GA positions seem to cluster, the number of GAs in
those markets is tremendous. I have some friends who have finally made it - working in
Hollywood or starting their own design firms. But they are the exceptions. I also know a
lot of GAs who are struggling to keep steady jobs.

That said, I agree with Doug - pick a hub for that job market and head out there, hitting the
pavement hard. Trying to do it long distance is not going to work in that field. Too much
local competition.

Ian

Back