Help!!

I'm so confused. I am planning on building a 1965 gt40 mk I, with either a 427 alcohol injected engine with a blower or a twin turbo setup.
Ok now for the problume. My mom is getting ready to sell her 2001 bonneville ssei. I've wanted it sence she got it, and I feel like it's mine in a sence. I could realy make it fast, however if I buy her car I can't start building the gt40 until I get out of collage.
What do you guys think I should do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Do you have a normal street car for everyday?

If you don't, I recommend getting a street car first (unless you're planning on walking or taking public transit while you're in college). GT40s are fun, but I wouldn't recommend parking it behind your dorm at night.

I heard if you cant get 400 hp from a sbf ford you arent trying. I wouldnt go with either option. I'm sure a car like that would cost as much as a Ford GT or at least heading into that territory. Its only a 2000 to 2300 lb car. I would go naturally aspirated because there was a thread on one guy who wanted to put a twin turbo gt40 but he might go to na do to the people who decided against it. Then there is the transmission. I hope this helps for you.

If you want to recreate a 1965 GT40 Mk1 then you won't be wanting anything like that!! Turbos, 427ci etc.

You will pay enourmous amounts of money for a gearbox that will take that kind of power. $20k easy. Engine $15-20k. So that's $45k before you start. This has been said before I'm sure.

And most GT40 replicas weight in at about 2300-2500lbs, you will not be able to use the power. I would recommend trying a 40 with an honest 400HP and ask yourself the question again!!

I'm one for power, as much as possible. But I realise that there are limits, useable limits that is, where any more power is just a waste and simply dangerous. AND VERY EXPENSIVE.

Why not spend some money and come to the U.K and visit Goodwood on Monday 23rd August for the GTD40 Club Track Day. Get a ride and THEN you will know what I mean.

Regards,

J.P

Ron Earp

Admin
Keep in mind, a good GT40 replica is going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $70,000 USD to finish ( and that is ignoring your aspirations of a R-OH 427), at least, give or take a little. If you don't believe this figure search the forum, it has been debated and is solid.

I don't know about you, but when I was in college and graduate school I was lucky to scrape up $6.00 cash for a twelve pack (bad beer) and some hot dogs (no buns, what do you expect for six bucks?). Your situation might be different, but building a GT40 while in college is not something I'd do, even if I had the money. There is this little thing called studying, while pesky, is rather standard operating procedure for learning, passing classes, and graduating in a timely matter.

I'd get the Boneville, go to school, concentrate on life/school, then build a GT40 once you're out. Just my opinion of course.

R

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
...and it might make the difference to graduating or not.
Do we have a spell checker buried in the website software?
Dave M

Yeah, I too thought about going twin turbo with a GT40, but the space is very limited under the rear bonnet, and I'm not sure the fiberglass could take the heat either.

I've decided that my twin-turbo engine project will find itself in a Datsun 240Z! Another car that weighs about 2400 pounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

GT40 will cost a lot. I'm waiting until done with school and have loans paid off... only two years of law school left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

John

Howard Jones

Supporter
If a stock 240Z weighs 2400 pounds I'll eat my hat. I helped a friend take a 240Z motor out once and it weighed more than the SBC that went back in. How about 3400 pounds?

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Factory quoted 2260lb curb weight. Use the hot sauce Howard, it'll taste better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Factory quoted and actual scale weights are known to differ quite a lot, not a 1000 pounds, but a few hundred in many cases. I bet around 2600 with fuel, oil, water, etc.

Back