Historic Tech Passport and the MkII

If the Homologation papers in 1966 show the Gt40 homologation with the small block in it how would one get the MKII an Historic Technical Passport? Which brings me to my next question, if the class the MKII ran in at Le Mans when the Kiwis inadvertently won didn't have a maximum cc rating then what would stop you from using the 1966 3.980 crankshaft that was available then for the FE legally today? The appendix K rules only state period correct parts.

Of course I may be wrong and there may be someone on here with homologation papers for the MKII that they can scan.

David

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
if the class the MKII ran in at Le Mans when the Kiwis inadvertently won didn't have a maximum cc rating then what would stop you from using the 1966 3.980 crankshaft that was available then for the FE legally today? The appendix K rules only state period correct parts.

/QUOTE]

Getting caught?

Note that the HTP would most likely require you to use a T44 gearbox. The T44 is available, but runs more than three times the cost of a new ZF.

All of the FE powered SPFs I am aware of make condsiderably more power than the MK II race cars did.....on the street today......with less cost on a dollar to dollar comparison adjusted for purchasing power 1966 vs. today. That my friends is what 40 years of technology does.

Thanks Rick, the only MKII I've seen around with an FE is #2244, the beautiful SPF that Holman had done some stuff to. Wonder if the owner is on here ever and how the car is going with the FE/ZFQ combination. Seems most everyone I read about go with the Windsor instead and hardly any RHD/RH shifter.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Rick, the only MKII I've seen around with an FE is #2244, the beautiful SPF that Holman had done some stuff to. Wonder if the owner is on here ever and how the car is going with the FE/ZFQ combination. Seems most everyone I read about go with the Windsor instead and hardly any RHD/RH shifter.

There are several FE mk II's here including mine which us a ZFQ.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Mark IV;392617 All of the FE powered SPFs I am aware of make condsiderably more power than the MK II race cars did.....on the street today......with less cost on a dollar to dollar comparison adjusted for purchasing power 1966 vs. today. That my friends is what 40 years of technology does.[/QUOTE said:
OK, nitpicking but just to add to the data: my FE powered SPF makes a "mere" 490 HP. But that was by design and thus does not contradict your quite valid point. And I suspect my torque curve is flatter and lower-going than the equivalent in the 60s for the reasons you cite.

There is a series of HP graphs in the SAE papers that shows a progression of increasing power output within the Mk II program. I've always wondered what the modifications were that produced those changes, and if it was just a case of the team releasing more power as they gained confidence in drivetrain durability. Any one know?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Is yours RHD/right shifter or LHD?

Mine is LHD with the usual cable-operated center shift; I will probably convert it to rod shift fairly soon but need to coordinate that with some other modifications I'm planning. There is another FE with a rod center shift; see http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/25354-upgrades-options-mods-p2125.html. Actually it's probably the only SPF, regardless of engine, with rod center shift (so far).

I believe all of the other FE cars represented here that are in the US are LHD with center cable shift. I thought there was one in the UK receiving an FE engine but my memory of that is a little vague.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
There is a 1046 clone being built for Chris Amon that is FE, RHD, RH shift. As far as I know it is a ZF and not a T44, but I could be wrong (I usually am, ask my wife....)

With the SPF #2244 in a Holman Moody #5 paint job and the #1046 paint scheme being done for Chris Amon thats two out of three from the finish in '66 with FE power and RHD. Someone needs to do a FE RHD sillshift of #1016 next.

Can I ask, the SPF Holman Moody car was asking around $120K but I have no idea what it eventually sold for. As I would need to have a RHD sill shifter car, would the RHD put it at a premium over a LHD version of the SPF in the USA or not in the second hand market?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The RHD cars are a smaller percentage in the US but there is demand and some will take nothing less. The potential market is smaller, however I have had customers who will only purchase a RHD/RH shift car. The RHD/RH sill shift is an extra cost option vs. the standard center shift configuration in an SPF.

I have driven RHD on the street in the US in both a Safir GT and some other RHD cars (AC Frua, etc.) and have never had any real concerns about doing so. Yes, in a GT40 you must be sure before you pull out to pass with RHD, but with a GT your exposure time is VERY short!

Last edited:
With a RHD/RH shift car you could add the tube linkage for gated shifting. I think this was the way the first cars were built. The RHD would be dangerous in my area because of so many two lane roads. None of which you can drive left of center on.

No issues at all runing a RHD/RHS car in dense trafficed germany

If you want to experience the closest to the real thing its a must have

TOM

No issues at all runing a RHD/RHS car in dense trafficed germany

If you want to experience the closest to the real thing its a must have

TOM

Driving in Germany vs the US is very different. Having taken the German driving test and driving in Germany, your drivers are much more aware of their driving environment and understand you don't just sit in the high-speed lane. I've often said give the average American the the German driving test and 70% will fail.
Two nights ago in my home town, a soccer mom driving a mini-van, hit and then dragged a pedestrian over six miles. She thought she had a tire going flat. Talk about situation awareness.

Ron Earp

Admin
The RHD cars are a smaller percentage in the US but there is demand and some will take nothing less. The potential market is smaller, however I have had customers who will only purchase a RHD/RH shift car.

Truth. If I get back into the GT40 market it'll be RHD, as the RF I had was.

Driving in Germany vs the US is very different. Having taken the German driving test and driving in Germany, your drivers are much more aware of their driving environment and understand you don't just sit in the high-speed lane. I've often said give the average American the the German driving test and 70% will fail.
Two nights ago in my home town, a soccer mom driving a mini-van, hit and then dragged a pedestrian over six miles. She thought she had a tire going flat. Talk about situation awareness.

Interessting:

having lived in Texas for one year and spent about 30.000mls on american roads. i have a different picture. Most german drivers are absolut egomanic, whereas my perception in US is that drivers there much more pay attention to others. You will find almost no driver in Germany giving yield to you with a friendly smile, you find them regulary in US. Also the option of overtaking on the right hand side of a vehicle in a multilane highway/interstate makes it much easier to drive a RHD car. Although it is probably no fun with our cars the speed limit makes driving on an interstate much more relaxing ( no one is coming up to you from behind with >250 km/h, mmmhhhmm most of the time that´s myself upps)

But as also pointed out, RHD is the way this cars where built originaly, everything else is only for "Schattenparker" and "Warmduscher" ( german find out what it means :)
TOM

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
i have a different picture.

I don't think you are disagreeing. Tom is saying American drivers are more courteous and willing to share. Grady is saying they are less attentive, sloppier and technically less capable. Both are true, and to a lesser extent the same is true with respect to the English and French drivers.

Tom's point about overtaking on the right is interesting; that's the first time I've heard that stupid American custom/law (or lack thereof) seen as an advantage!

I don't think you are disagreeing. Tom is saying American drivers are more courteous and willing to share. Grady is saying they are less attentive, sloppier and technically less capable. Both are true, and to a lesser extent the same is true with respect to the English and French drivers.

Tom's point about overtaking on the right is interesting; that's the first time I've heard that stupid American custom/law (or lack thereof) seen as an advantage!

Texas overtaking on the right must be common place. It is something to see a pick up truck with Texas plates pass on the right pull off of the right lane on I-95 with a bridge coming up. The NCSHP doesn't make allowances for the practice even if you are from Texas.

Alan is correct with what I said. What aggravates me is these 20 something females in their tiny vehicles that zip back and forth across three lanes of traffic.

Back