Homebuilt Mid-Engine Sports Racer

Dave;

The size of my Howe radiator is 16" high by 27.5" wide. It is tipped forward to clear the rather low nose of the car and there is no filler cap on the top of the radiator. Bear in mind that my fan arrangement is "unconventional".

Attachments

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Neil I really like your fan setup, and had thought to do something very similar for a street driven Ferrari, but was convinced by others the noise would be deafening with smaller, higher speed fans in lieu of a pair of larger slower speed ones. In your case noise probably isn't an issue, however :)

I put the block on an engine stand and cleaned the oil passages, main bearing bores, and cylinder liners with brushes and then sprayed them with brake cleaner. I also brushed & sprayed the lifter bores. I wiped the liners with lintless wipers after spraying them with brake cleaner and they are now as clean as I can get them. A light spray of WD-40 was the last step, just to prevent any rust. When the main bearing seals arrive (Monday or Tuesday) I will install them and the main bearings so that I can drop the crank in. I did a trial fit on the Milodon copper head gaskets and they look fine. It was not easy getting them out of the skin pack without bending them. They are really SOFT!

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Attachments

A bit more progress today- I re- installed the fuel pump block- off plate, cleaned the oil pump thoroughly, removed the main cap studs, cleaned them and re- installed all but the angled studs. I installed the upper main bearing, applied some Red Line assembly lube, and laid thee crank into place. Maybe the rear main seal & oil pan seals will arrive tomorrow and I can put the lower main bearings in place and torque down the main bearing caps.

The King XP bearings are unusual, their bearing surfaces are flat black.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Attachments

I spent the afternoon installing the crank and main bearings. I put in a new rear main seal; the previous one was a Fel- Pro blue silicone seal but this time I decided to use their flouroelastomer seal 2912. It isn't as soft as the silicone seal and costs more but I think that this is a heavier duty material. Seals and bearings were coated with assembly lube before the crank was dropped into place.

The straight studs are torqued to 70 ft-lbs and the angled studs are torqued to 65 ft-lbs. The oil pump is also now installed. The next step will be to install the camshaft. Getting assembly lube on the cam bearings isn't going to be easy.