Homebuilt Mid-Engine Sports Racer

Neil

Supporter
A bit off topic-

I found a 1974 photo of me driving a Sabel but it was before the body was mounted. It was the first car that I ever built, a steel tube chassis with a body designed and built by John Sabel of Rockville, MD. It was powered by a mid-engine
Sabel 1974 Neil Albaugh.jpg
140 hp Corvair driving a Porsche 914 transaxle. It weighed only about 950 lbs so driving it in an autocross was really fun. I sold the car to a fellow in Md who is doing a full restoration. It will be great to see it back on the road again.

Regards, Neil

Neil

Supporter
My engine is back together now with the exception of the right side valve cover. I ran out of Universal Blue Hylomar so it is just sitting in place until my order for more arrives. I timed the distributor for 12 degrees initial with a little circuit that I threw together. I use a Mallory Unilite distributor that triggers a Crane HI-6 ignition box. If anyone is interested I will draw the circuit of the Unilite timing circuit and post it.
This morning I installed the flywheel, KEP adapter, and clutch. All fasteners are now Loctite'd and torqued to spec. Next job is to bolt up the G50 transaxle and mounting cradle.

Attachments

Neil

Supporter
Thanks, Dave. If I have time today I will weigh the complete engine and post it. Keeping things lightweight really helps your power-to-weight ratio.

Neil

Supporter
Howard, I just weighed the complete engine (with flywheel, adapter, clutch disk, and pressure plate but minus carb & spark plugs) with my Chatillon weight scale. It reads 400 lbs. The small increments are 25 lbs so there is one division over the mark at 375, so it reads 375 +25 lbs. The aluminum block by itself is 100 lbs. I am using an unusually heavy crankshaft, a Lunati forged 4340 Pro with a 3.75" stroke. It alone weighs 52 lbs.

Attachments