How fast is your GT40?

Gentlemen,

I know this is subjective to some degree (easily BS'ed) but I'd be very intersted in performance figures of your cars. This is not intended as a dick measuring excercise I'm really interested in benchmark figures.

So setup description: example (302, EFI, Renault R30, est Bhp 375.)

Best time 0-60 Mph,
Best time 400m or 1/4 mile,
Best time 0-100 Mph,
Best time 100-150,
Highest top speed.

Anyone have braking distances from speed?

As a famous GP racer said to me once... "Dave its not how fast you can go, its how fast you can stop!"

Just to state I haven't had the opportunity to log figures to-date but will when I get a chance. This is not intended as vendor show down either!!

Look forward to your replies.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
MkIV J6 is going to come out on top on this one........especially on the 100-150 item.
grin.gif

With these cars, those numbers are so dependent on gearing that they're not really worth much, I think.

Dave, I have not spent a lot of time trying to verify times and speeds. However I did take my GTD to the nostalgia drags and did one drive up and run for time. I turned 103mph in 13.2 seconds on 275-55x15 tires usinng a Renault box with 3.88 diff. The tires were cold and hard. I have had the car to an indicated 150+ mph and I was at about 5400 rpms and still going.

Bud, that's a pretty nice "real world" time...would you share some of the general specs on your engine?

Hi all,
We run data logging on Roy's lightweight MK1 GTD and have recorded the following:

172+ Mph at Heyford Aerodrome (2000)
0-60 Mph in 3.7s at Longleat (2001)
0-100 Mph in 7.6s at Longleat (2001)
Standing quarter in 12.14s @ 128 Mph at the Brighton speed trials (2002).

I'd have to recall the data to check the revs, but the logged speeds tally with the speed trap at several events.

The car weighs approx 1040Kg and has adequate power (450+) with an all alloy, stroked 302 (347) and Kinsler / Motec aka 'Smart-Tech'

ps - as a passenger with Roy driving - 7990 rpm sounds awesome inside the car giving 84+ Mph in second on tall road tyres.

grin.gif

[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Paul Thompson ]

Snakeyes, I have a 1965 289 block running a .030 overbore with a 302 crank. I use offie stiffing bars on the main caps and run a windage tray. The rods are PAW's with 11/32 bolts and forged flat top TRW pistons with enlarged eyebrows to insure valve clearance.A Crower "level 4" split pattern cam is used with Crane "Hi Intensity" lifters.Duration is 280 on the intake and 286 on the exhaust and lift is .486 int. and .498 on the exhaust. A Ford HiPo damper is used and the engine was very well balanced by a local guy who specializes in hipo and aircraft engines. Topped off with an Offie 360 manifold and a holley vacuum secondary carb tuned for the engine. This package has been very reliable as a street driver as well as on the track at Willow Springs. This is a very mild estimated 330HP engine that does not require a lot of fiddleing. My balance guy rebuilt and recurved the Ford distributor and it works just fine.

Thanks, Bud. If I can ever find out the specs on my 289 I'll have to compare it. The first owner of my car has no details whatsoever on the engine so I've contacted the builder, who is trying to find something...

1040 kg is a shade under 2,300 lbs., I believe--

Paul,

I noticed the belly pan under your gearbox,

etc. I have considered one for my car, but

haven't seen one on a 40 until now. Has it

made a noticeable difference?

Bill

Paul,

On the subject of the pan,,do you have a drawing for this thing?? I would like to have one made for my GTD. Any info on it would be great.

Thanks,

Farhad

Bill, Faili and all,

Roy wrote a piece for the club magazine a while back I believe on the rear sub-assy of his 40. I'm over there this weekend so I'll see if he has a copy to post here.

In the meantime, the new rear frame looks like this:
Rearframe1.JPG

The old one fitted looked like this:
OldRear2.JPG

The side angles were originally longer and a sharper angle making more of a tunnel effect but were a pain when loading on the trailer.

Did they work? don't know for sure, but after running 170+mph, they had 'scraped the ground' so possibly. I suspect that they would have little or no effect below 100.
Now Roy and Ray have done windtunnel tests on a model... but that's another story. (a somewhat funny one too as I recall!)

best regards
[email protected]
grin.gif

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
p thompson said:
Now Roy and Ray have done windtunnel tests on a model... but that's another story. (a somewhat funny one too as I recall!)

I know this is an old thread but I like funny stories! Spill the beans, Paul.

Cheers

Russ Noble said:
I know this is an old thread but I like funny stories! Spill the beans, Paul.

Cheers

:D :D Blimey! - that is a blast from the past.... But the thought did bring a smile to me just thinking about it. :) I'll have a look at home tonight to see if I can find some pics, but let's just say that the story includes the following:

1 x Roy Smart -
1 x Ray Christopher -
1 x 1/10th R/C model (complete with added 'removable bits' - spoilers etc)
1 x spring guage
4 x digital weighing plates to 0.1g
1 long pipe - 3m? - by about 24 or 26 inch dia -(I'll check)
1 x 3-phase 30Kw electric Fan....:eek: -

and I suspect the last part had most to do with the funny element of this story... I'll check and post once I know...

MWGT40

Supporter
Paul

I recall (I think a couple of years ago) that Roy recorded a sub 12 at Brighton didn't he?

Martin

Back