How fast or quick are the SLC's?

Wayne, around the Daytona road course.
Either 156 or 158 on street tires. I was with him,
had PLENTY left too!

I know of a street SLC that regularly sees over 170mph at VIR without breaking a sweat....and also has plenty left

That is serious fast for a street car on a road course, bikes would have a hard time getting to 170 at VIR. What is the HP on that car? One of the first things asked of such numbers (for bikes) is - has the speedo been calibrated correctly?

Its John Salmons and he does it quite often. by all accounts..500hp approx. with a Ricardo.
He is a VIR member and not a bench racer at all, so I tend to listen....long straight at VIR and that's not really a high speed for the long course as even Porsche street cars hit over 160 there quite regularly.

BTW thats a GPS speedo too....digidash pro using a Garmin

Last edited:
Wasn't there an SLC that ran Daytona over 190? I don't know any of the specifics, but I remember reading about it a couple years ago.

Do they steer good at those speeds, or is it a handfull?
Mine at 100 seems good, but I wouldnt want to hit bumps or pot holes with it.

Seems like it would jump around.

After some tire pressure adjustments (street Nitto's) and resetting the shocks, Wayne's SL-C was rock solid and steady. Turn-in was good, pretty neutral with just a touch of oversteer which could have been power induced as Wayne is a hot-shoe!

Garry...do you think we would be able to race the SLC if it didn't steer above 100mph...wink.

Maybe you need to have a trip in Allans car with him to straighten you out....

You also don't have the wing or the street tail so you have a little aero disadvantage which shows up under braking too, the wing helps to keep the car straight and balanced during the weight change...with the pointy end still pointing forwards

Howard Jones

Supporter
OK......................These are road race cars meant to be run on road courses. That means LAP TIMES gentlemen. I wonder if Fran could post some tracks and qualifying lap times from his national championship year. Now, that would be interesting.

Another team that had quite a successful car was the blue 25 Hours of Thunder Hill car that came very close to winning that race. In fact, they would have won the race if they had not been shunted passing Miata in the last few hours. I seem to remember they qualified the car at Thunder Hill at about 1:45 or so.

Here is an in-car video 1:45.9 GT3 Porsche Cup full-on real-deal race car with a pro driver, on the same track. I have run 2:high teens in my GT40 there on street tires.

I have posted on my build page that these cars can be built GT-3 fast cars (with about the same power level) and I stand by that. I started running at COTA nearly at the outset of my journey with my SLC a few years ago. My first day had me beyond three min laps. My best-recorded lap so far is 2:36 although that was at 435HP last year on 75% used up R7 Hoosiers. I have run the car once with the new motor/550HP and I know it's quite a bit quicker. It will be very interesting in a few weeks when I run the car with new tires for the first time. However, there are a lot of GT3 Porsches at COTA and I can run with them IF the driver is at or near MY skill level.

World challenge GT-3 lap record at COTA is 2:05 and change. That's a world-class pro driver, a Porsche factory-built race car, on real brand-new race tires. My personal goal is under 2:30 lap times. we'll see how it goes.

Oh......that's how fast an SLC is.

This is a video of an SLC on track. My car (I am current owner) of the #71 Blue Mustang is in front of the SLC.

p.s. Here is the #71 at Mid-Ohio, 2840# car with 427turbo 800+rwhp:

Blue Miss clocked a 1:42.5 @ Thunderhill.
That's going pretty good, I think that would be good for pole in the 25 hour depending on what shows up. IIRC a full-on current carbon-fiber-everything LMP car went a 39 to set pole recently (I think I'm remembering that correctly).

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
I was at TH one time for an open track day and the Nothern California Shelby Club was sharing the weekend with a group of F Atlantic cars running their own race weekend. After a while, I noticed that they did not lift in turn one AT ALL, You could hear them turn in the car at full chat and never lift. It had to be at least 165MPH or so. They ran 1:42 -1:44s all the way down the grid. That was back at least 15 years ago. 30s at TH are BIG BOY pants faaaaaaast!!!!

Back