How lucky..........

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Loads of terrible stories coming out of Helmand province and we witness the aftermath on an almost daily basis with the funerals back home here in England. Yesterday we lost a Chinook Helicopter that was part of a two ship formation on a Special Forces mission. They initially flew this machine away from the area where they were hit and force landed in a relatively safer zone and were picked up by the second Chinook. They then directed an attack on their own stricken machine to completely destroy it. The skipper in the second Chinook was a son of a very special friend of ours and they were taking a load of fire directed on their helicopter while they were co-operating and then extracting the stricken crew.
Somebody, far greater than us, liked them today........

British Chinook helicopter brought down 'by enemy fire' in Afghanistan on election day | Mail Online

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well Done Russ.

What a relief to hear a positive story from over there. He should buy some lottery tickets while he's on a roll!
I don't doubt somewhere down the line though somebody, somewhere will get a roasting for "unnecessary destruction of military equipment" (probably from someone who's never been in a real life situation like that)

In general, a high value/high profile/politically embarrassing equipment loss is generally amortised by ensuring it can be of no potential use to an enemy. The quicker this is done the better, but has been known to occur later. See the destruction of the French Fleet in 1940 as an example.

Dave, best wishes to the Chinook Captain and all those in country.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I love to hear good news and stories about our troops (and yours) it makes me feel patriotic, chokes you up and you get goose bumps. I like many on this forum are veterans of the 60s and 70s and back then we had little support from home. I support all our troops my hat is off to there bravery and work. Good news Brits!

+1 Jack. Stories like these are the ones we wish to hear. Better if we didn't have to hear ANY at all!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Guys,
He should be coming here last Saturday in September for dinner and I'll show him this thread with all of your comments.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
+1 Jack. Stories like these are the ones we wish to hear. Better if we didn't have to hear ANY at all!

Yes Total support for the troops but not for the politicians who put them there and then make them fight a conflict with not enough resources and effectively tying one hand behind their backs.

Best to your mate Dave.

I have steadfastly supported our troops that are placed in harms way, but always question the reasoning or the politics which placed them there. Been there, done that!

Pete, your comment is right on!

David, +1 best to your mate!

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,
He should be coming here last Saturday in September for dinner and I'll show him this thread with all of your comments.

Great move Dave,

It's sometimes difficult when on deployment to get an idea of whether anybody outside your own circle knows, agrees or even cares about your being there, never mind accepting the risks involved.

There's quite a few people here who know the risks very well and (for me at least) support from those who really know is worth so much more than rubbish from those who don't.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Spot on, Pete. Your comments are remarkably similar to those shared by so many I encounter.

Yes Total support for the troops but not for the politicians who put them there and then make them fight a conflict with not enough resources and effectively tying one hand behind their backs.

Best to your mate Dave.

Back