HSR Daytona

Pat

Supporter
I was there and had a ball driving a Porsche 935. Drivers came from 19 different countries to participate. The racing was very competitive.

By any chance was it this one?

Attachments

• !cid_83F47FB047AD4D4F9B4A22B8980322CC@HomePC.jpg
    [email protected]
    139.2 KB · Views: 328
Johan, wish I knew you were there as it would have been nice to see your 935 and to meet a fellow forum member. Next time. :thumbsup:

BTW I thought of some other interesting tidbits the forum members might find interesting and these are coming from the drivers of the MK 1 GT 40's in attendance and also from personal observations. Both cars are 1965 versions with the dual tail-light rears.

The tires used by both cars (s/n 1041 Walker & s/n 1018 Wilson) were Avons and not the wide variety. The rears were fairly "skinny" (maybe 8" at the rear) compared to some of the other "steam-rollers" seen. The brakes were solid disks and glowed like fire as the cars approached turn 1. Chris Wilson (said he believes he was doing about 198 mph (!) on the banking, while his co-driver stated the track is much narrower then it looks on TV and paid HUGE respect to the Nascar guys for doing what they do 3 abreast. Both GT40's had problems at the rear of the car due to the banking and stresses put on the rear upright. I believe both cars suffered driver side issues at the rear with 1018 suffering a cracked bolt holding on the half shaft and 1041 had issues too. 1018 also required an engine replacement during some of the practice sessions.

1018 was crewed by Lazante out of England who also serviced the Mclaren GTR to victory in the 1995 24 Hours of Lemans. Dean Lazante and his crew were well dressed, polite and were always insuring every thing was checked and re-checked for the drivers before each session.

The co-driver for 1041, (Mike Jordan) said he thought his door was going to come off while coming of the last part of the banking heading down the main straight as he looked up to see the drivers side door lifting almost an inch off the spider! The crew fitted an additional brace to hold the door on at speed.

All the drivers said it was a thrill to finally drive at Daytona and loved the setting over all. Compared to Lemans, one stated, its so well lit and not dark like Lemans and with the grandstands being so close to the track it was really spectacular. The weather was a blessing to as it couldn't have been nicer. They all really loved that as England in November is absolute crap.

The seats in both 1018 & 1041 was of modern design which says volumes about the originals. Only the MK II car held on to the original seats. BTW it too suffered from "door lift" on the passenger side as copius amounts of duct tape were seen covering the door.

There is no doubt the GT 40 design is one of the greatest of all time. Sure I'm biased cuz I own one but when you see the 40 out there with so many others from that era the car is simply gorgeous.

Pat

Supporter
I think silver and yellow GT40, #37, is a Gelscoe... pricey and beautiful but not a multimillion dollar beast

I'm not sure of the Gelscoe numbering conventions but the G in front of the chassis number on #37 may indicate you're correct.

Attachments

• Gelscoe.jpg
    Gelscoe.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 354
Tractor boy
Very important. First thanks for the kind words about me and Bailey it was great to meet ou
For the record I do not own the # 40 indigo blue Bailey GT 40.
I t is owned by and raced by the super talented driver Jeff McKee
who drove beautify
But the race bugs got to us.
I represent Jeff in the sale of that beast ( see GT 40s for sale) and he will be setting up a “full Race” Bailey Later in the year.
Meanwhile it was a great event, great people great cars ( a little to 911 centric but with the help of Rick Muck SPF and Bailey Cars north America we will change that)
I will post more photos
Ron

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kirby and Gray are both Pantera guys and great friends of mine. Gray's Chevron has a great history. First owner was Solar Productions,i.e. Steve McQueen. He bought it to run in the 1970 Le Mans where it wore #44. Later it was seen in the movie, and it served as the stand-in cockpit double for the Ferrari. They only had use of the Ferraris for a short time so used the Chevron when they needed a close shot of the driver.

He won his class in Monterey this year too. Having a ball with the car. But he was denied entry to Le Mans Classic this year, apparently on the grounds that he is not French enough! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have an old photo somewhere of #44 (Watkins Glen 92'?) and the name Bill Mazzoni
seems to be correct but I'll check on it....

Back