I got a 385 Ford Motor - Where can I put it?

MN12

In the past 30 years I've owned 12 Hemi Cudas/Challengers/
Road Runners (all hardtops). I'm afraid I'm old enough
to have driven some of them as transportation, blew them up,
junked the motor, tossed in a 440, and kept on trucking.
Nope...I wasn't smart enough to keep 1 or 2.

And musclecar convertibles are an amazing story.
It's absolutely true that during the musclecar era,
those of us with hardtops would NEVER own a convert
due to the extra weight. Now that extra weight is spelled
CASH!!!

Marty...any car is driveable if set up properly.
I recall a famous 65 Nova Pro Streeter with a supercharged
AND turbocharged big block Chevy that purred at idle.
You just couldn't slam the throttle open! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MikeD

I have some A460 and C460 head 600" all aluminum engines(385 series) if anyone is interested in installing one in a GT 40. They make about 1000HP single 4 without power adders. Should be a lot of fun, Wayne

Mike - I don't know the guy, but I'll get some photos for you ASAP.

RWJ - How many 600" motors do you have? What were you doing with them? I'd be interested in specs, condition and prices...

Up your a** was my first thought, actually, but being a nice English guy, ya know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm amazed, what a civil forum!! No one said up your a**!

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, no one has said, "in my garage!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Jerry, you said FE in your post but you meant 385, right? I mean, nobody wants to put an antiquated Farm Engine (FE) V8 into a nice car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yes Ron,
That is exactly what I need to do. We want to make this car to ressemble the 66 & 67 Farm Engine that won La Mans. We had a large amount of time installing a Boss 429 into a cobra about 12 years ago. It just did not look right when you pop the hood. It will be much easier to use a 385 series motor and less expensive. But the 427 was the dominate race motor for 25 years. Believe it or not there are more proformance choices in heads (low rise, mid rise, high rise, tunnel ports,and single over head cam). I just sold a 427 cammer last year, believe me it wasn't a farm motor. Sorry to bust your bubble. But with two, four intake and correct value covers, I think the FE will look great under the bonnet. This will have the new 427 alum block or a true 67, 427 side oiling race block. Merry Christmas, Jerry and Carla

Ron Earp

Admin
I know the FE's aren't farm motors, I just like to yank chains every now and again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyone that knows me knows I have a love/hate relationship with these motors and prefer the 385s - everyone is different. The FE will look fantasic under the hood, that is for sure! I'll just make sure to stay back or pass you so that leaking FE doesn't foul my tires! Just kidding of course!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Merry Christmas and I look forward to seeing the car! Best, Ron

In reply to the request about "A" and "C" head motors I have a NEW, never machined in the box C460, SVO block, single 4 valves, roller cam billet crank, billet rods, etc. One C460 598"all aluminum engine built by Charley Pepper (on loan to a friend at this time) One A460 600" installed in a drag car, started, never raced 10:1 comp with a set extra 14:1 pistons, One A460 all aluminum 588" disasembled for freshening, carillo rods, Modex crank Crane roller cam and components, Four A460 steel SVO block engines with the same components as the aluminum A460,2 fresh, 2 with time on them, 2 514" Boss 429 engines, one fresh, one with time on it, one 572" Boss 429 with new never assembled 10:1 comp roller cam (for a pro street car) and a few 427 SOHC engines (can you tell I like big motors?) Also have an steel block 494 SK can am Boss 494" engine, fresh. I found a new car that I want so someone can get some bargins. If you are interested email me at [email protected], 352 242 4591, Florida, USA.

In regards to the FE engines, I understand Ron is joking, however Keith Craft just built an aluminum block FE with a single 4 steel rod engine, idles at 900RPM that dynos 675HP at 6200 rpm. I saw it at the PRI show. I normaly build my own engines, however Keith will build my aluminm Tunnel port engine for my CAV GT. He is doing some great work with heads and cams.

Hi Ron,

Well, we could put this 514 on my Boss Hoss and then add nitro but since it's not a GM engine....Trying to find a way to cram a 572 crate motor onto the bike frame but the block is too tall.

Ron Earp

Admin
Steve,

Since it is not a Chubby you don't NEED nitrous! Only need the juice on those motors that won't cut it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you really want to get nasty you can make a 620 inch Ford BB but it won't fit since the 460s are so tall.

Hi Ron,

I have leads on a 606 Merlin and a 636 Donovan for the bike. Both want to switch to something 'more radical'. Both of these are on different Boss Hoss bikes now. Stay tuned. Now if I could just fit a ProCharger supercharger on there......

Back