I got a 385 Ford Motor - Where can I put it?

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, I got myself a 460 motor and I'm thinking to the future. Where can this thing go? Has any company starting putting these into 40s? I know, bad thought and I don't want to open the BB vs SB war, but I've always liked the 385 motors since I had one in high school that I raised all kinds of hell with. Of course a Cobra is a good home for one, but a 40 would be much better. Any thoughts? Right now the motor is resting at my folks place but will be sent out for build up into a 514 inch short block for use later.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
Those mod motors fit (RF did at least one and I though another company did too), and they are wider than the 385!! They are *sometimes* heavier than FE motors. This gets debated ad infinium over on the Cobra forum and it depends on the build - mainly heads, intake, water pumps, etc. FE motors don't have as many choices as SBs and 385s so many of them end up being rather porky. But the 385 could certainly go on a diet too and if iron headed you can forget it (nobody would do that though, I don't think). This isn't heavier and beefer SVO iron block either that many people use.

I think they used,or tried to use, the 460 in the G7 car. Since the engine bay is the same dimension as the MK4 and the 4 is about the same as the 2 I believe it would work. It is quite a bit bigger than the 427 and that means taller. In a Can Am car it doesn't matter but getting it under your body work may be a problem. Why don't you just pop out your motor and see how it works. I am curious to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Bill

Since 429s fit under the hood of 71 Mustangs,
a 460 should fit under a GT40 clam provided
the mounts were welded in the proper spot.
Problem I'd think would be the trans.

First you'll have to do some engineering to mate it $$$,
and I doubt you'll be able to use an inverted G50 since
I'll bet the 460 has to be set lower in the chassis.
So unless you want to "baby" a trans, you'll be looking
at $ 10k tranny or more. But hey! If that's what you want,
I say do it! It's your car and would certainly be cool.

As we've seen, given enough time and $$$, amazing cars can be created.

MikeD

Guys,
The 385 blocks fit in the RF GT40s. Also the FE series can be fit as well. The only draw back is the trans cost. You have to go with a ZF or an RBT. really big price tag, but then again none of this stuff is cheap. To replicate a Mark II even with a 385 would be a neat thing.
One thing I have learned about Robert Logan Of Roaring Forties is that if it's doable he will give it his best shot. You couldn't ask for a better guy to brainstorm with. He loves a challenge.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hershal is right, Robert has fitted a 385 series and a FE. As a matter of fact, we have a Mark ll fitted for a FE that is headed to the States at the first of the year. Both motors will fit but a long with the high cost of the gear box, you must also consider custom made headers, possible increase in cooling system. Also increase horse power, and weight, means an up grade in the braking system. Heavier springs and up grade in socks. We accept the task and look forward to the end result.

Ron Earp

Admin
Jerry, Hershal, and Robert - Fantastic! I'll be heading to Kentucky for a cross-country flight for sure when that arrives! I will probably place the 385 in a Cobra, a Midstates since I like those, but it is nice to see that someone will use it for a 40. I won't even put any hp figues on what the 385 can do because lots of folks on the board won't beleive it. But, those that are in the know know what these things can do.

Jerry, what is planned for yours?

We will have a lot to do before we get the car completed. When she is completed,we will be doing some track events. Also we will be showing the car here in our part of the country. Hershal can let us know when it arrives. I will let you know when it goes from west to east. You can feel free to drop in an visit any time. Robert has sent me some pictures and as you might expect, his crew has done an excellent job. I had an oppertunity to spend two days at Run and Gun this year with Hershal and Robert. We all had a great time and I found Robert to a gentleman with a real passion for RF GT40's.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Jerry,

Thank you for the kind words and for the great showing at the Run and Gun, Michael sure can drive !!!!!

The body work has now been completed with all the mods and additions for the MkII also completed. The chassis is completed with the Koni's and AP Racing brakes fitted. The 3 master cylinder pedle box and AP master cylinders are in a box with the car together with all the rest of the brake components. We have also fitted a central gearchange for you and I for one look forward to seeing this BEAST on the track.

Best wishes,

Robert

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Pretty sure one of the Safir MKV cars has a stroked 460 in the back (I know its around 8000cc anyway). Pictures show it appears to fit fine under the MK II rear deck.

Robert-

Did I read your post and the post from jercarnut, that a 429/460 can (or will) fit a RF GT40 MkII? Will air conditioning be available, or will all available space be taken up by the engine? What transaxle(s) can be mated to the 385 or FE engines?

This would make for an incredible car in performance, looks, and sound. And they make aluminum blocks for both engine series. WOW!! The performance of a big block with the weight of a small block. Incredible!!

Bill D

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Bill,

Yes , we have made a chassis that will take the BIG BLOCK and will also take a modular (new Ford 4.6 lt.) engine. I believe that Jerry plans to put a ZF box in her and there is enough space for Air Conditioning.

Jerry will keep you all informed of his progress but we will be helping all the way.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi Bill,
Robert is right, we will be working with the ZF transaxle.The 302/427 ZF adapters are available from Kennedy Engineeing. I don't know for sure about the 385 but Gary Hall of Hall Pantera couples 460's two ZF's on a regular bases. His super Pantera is a 514 with a ZF box. I would think that he probably deals with Kennedy for his adapters.

Ron

I saw Gary's Pantera run at Watkins Glenn. Pretty awesome!
Has the largest headers I have ever seen on a car!
If you're serious about this, you might want to chat
with Gary.

MikeD

There's a DRB GT40 being built over here with a twin turbo 426 Hemi, so I'd say that anything's possible !!!

Mike,

I know it's OT but what did you have that was a Hemi? My first car was a 70 Barracuda convertible.....wish I had never sold it.

Back