Identify this transaxel

I ran across this pitcher doing research for a Mclaren M6 project can you Identify this transaxel?

Attachments

• 67487-Transaxel.jpg
    67487-Transaxel.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 497
That black plate seems to have some lettering cast in. Call in CSI to work the photo over and make an ID. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Back in the 60's the Corvair 4 speed transaxle was very popular for homebrew mid-engine cars. It is based on a Muncie 4 speed (much as a T44 was TopLoader based) and can take a small block (bowtie smallblock, that is) level of torque. The Crown V8 Corvair used the box as did several other kit cars.

Plus you have the option of using an automatic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

IO don't really know how strong they are in real world use, but remember the samll Hewland (FG200?) uses a VW beetle case as its base.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
CSI here.....

ran the photo through a genetic algorithm for 1,000,000 generations and came up with this......

Hope this helps.....

Attachments

• 67532-Corvairbox.jpg
    67532-Corvairbox.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 454

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Looks like Doc has a "Clark's Covair Parts" catalog! Be sure to order some original MK II/ MK IV tail light lenese! (remember they ARE Corvair parts)
Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

This is a '61-'65 Corvair transaxle. I believe a Kelmark adapter which required running the transaxle backwards. In addition, I believe a reverse rotation cam was needed for the engine. The black diff cover was for cooling, appearance and to keep the top of the case from flexing open under load which was a problem for R+P life expectancy. Most V8 Corvairs, Crown or otherwise used the '66-'69 unit which used a stronger tranny based on the Saginaw used in "lower HP" Camaro,Nova cars.If you follow the set up instruction for this transaxle it will handle a small block of around 350 HP ( my experience) Parts are getting hard to find and with better choices now available they aren't that desireable. I'm currently building one using some tricks I've learned, but would ultimately like to go with an Audi. Lighter weight, more gears and more legroom! There is a great article on Rick Norris' Crown Corv8 build with a google search. Cheers, Dave

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
They were actually pretty strong. There were 2 styles of adapters, the one in the picture and then one that attached at the trans end, after installing a regular 4-speed input shaft. While the latter adapter was longer in overall length, it overcame the major weakness. The input shaft runs inside of the output/pinion shaft in reverse direction. It is long and spindly, making it frail,and probably the only real weak point in the otherwise nice transaxle.

Back