I'm Not Trying to Start Anything but....

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sure I don't get it either Keith, I thought it was funny, both the Brits, Aussies and Kiwis take the piss out of their figure heads all the time. Maybe the Yanks are just a little precious?
BTW, thanks for taking the heat of the Ashes.:laugh:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I don't get this...seriously.

The 'clown' has been banned for life. Is that a little harsh - and placing the spotlight just where perhaps it wasn't needed?

Sounds like the Announcer should have been fired before him - if indeed you think anybody should have been fired.

BBC News - Missouri State Fair rodeo clown banned for Obama mask

Not a 1st Amendment Issue?

Evidently these yo-yos don't remember the Halloween masks of Reagan, Bush, Nixon, et al that were sold in stores all over the country 'back in the day'.

'Really getting tired of the 24/7/365 DOUBLE STANDARD in play these days....

Mike Pass

Supporter
Some people have very thin skins. Get a life. You are a long time dead. Develop a sense of humour.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3u3PwCZfM4]Spitting Images Ronald Reagan - YouTube[/ame]

Nothing is so sacred it can't have the piss taken. I should know.......don't ask!
Cheers
Mike

The problem is he'll have to take them to court to reinstated, damn PC crap anyway.
I'm sure he'll win the case but it will be expensive.

Keith

Good answers thus far but probably not complete picture. If it was the State Fairgrounds that did the banning (I have no idea how these 'State Fairgrounds' are administered and by whom), who actually funds them - is it private enterprise, City, County, State, Federal or a combination?

In other words were they advised to do this or did they take preemptive action - like a possible law suit but from whom?

There is no political agenda from me and I do not wish to raise any issues but I am trying to understand the American Constitution.

I have been quite critical of the implications of this (1st) in the past and it has been very energetically (and rightly so) defended & pointed out that despite some abuses it is a cornerstone of American raison d'etre.

This episode (should it be accurate - and for me, there's no telling that) it's a kind of a confusing scenario.

Predictably, the people with political agendas have jumped on the bandwagon and virtually, and dismissively said "well there you go" etc., but it doesn't tell ME anything.

Can anyone enlarge in nno partisan terms please?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Can anyone enlarge in nno partisan terms please?

Boiled down, the truth is one can't, Keith. The whole thing IS partisan. It's political horse feathers from start to finish. It isn't based on the constitution at all. It's rooted in the liberal's attempt to force compliance/adherence to their "p.c." view/mindset with regard how everyone in our society should think/act/react/view any given situation...in effect, what everyone's social philosophy should be. And a large part of that mentality is: Liberal view = always GOOOOOD. Conservative view = always BAAAAAAAD. Liberals = ALL smart as a whip. Conservatives = ALL dumber than door knobs. In the "Obama mask" situation, for example, 'TIS VERBOTEN FOR ANYONE TO POKE FUN AT A LIBERAL...especially if he's a member of a minority group. OTOH, conservatives - of ANY color - are TOTALLY FAIR GAME in the ridicule department - by ANYONE...anytime, any place, for any reason.

There are countless examples proving the above IS the case.

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
For fuck's sake Larry you are like a goddamn puppet with an Archie Bunker tape in his mouth. SOME liberals and conservatives are unrelenting advocates of individual liberty and free speech. SOME liberals and conservatives are not. If you want examples, I can give you plenty, which will just highlight the continuing decline of the intelligence of people who get force fed Fox News all day.

Keith, you asked a serious question, I'll try to answer.

As a citizen in the US, your free speech rights attach to your political writings of almost any sort, the distribution of the same, and your political speech in certain contexts, typically those deemed to be public forums. Meaning that in a purely private context, yes, speech in the US can be regulated. Additionally, as a side note, commercial speech gets less protection, but that is a different category altogether not pertinent to this example.

Here, the fairgrounds would almost assuredly be deemed a public forum so if private citizen wanted to do what these guys did, probably protected. Almost certainly so.

The rub here is that the actor -- the one engaging in speech - is the government itself and so it's really not a private citizen seeking protection of the 1st. It's more like a corporation deciding if it wants its employees expressing themselves a certain way.

And that I agree with. A state government making fun of the President, whether Republican or Democrat, isn't appropriate in my view. Private fair? Have at it.

Keith

OK that's forthright anyway even if it is only "one side". I do not believe we have many similar terms of reference here in the UK, but the gap is closing, certainly the nature of the beast generally would suggest that if one was of a "non liberal hue" one might encounter certain subliminal 'lifestyle and behavioral education' in what could be similarly described as PC tactics.

It is a constant source of amazement (and amusement) to me, that the two main countries responsible for a lot of the current crop of PC nonsense worldwide both now and in the past are Australia and the United States - the very two countries you might be forgiven for thinking would be the very last bastions to hold out against some of the kind of soppy nonsense that tends to make instant victims of people just for the sake of being seen to be 'caring' when really the agenda is control and manipulation.

I would have thought the Obama mask would have been really funny, but the announcer was the one that probably made the position untenable.

MikeP, thanks for posting that Spitting Image stuff from the '80's - it was absolutely hysterical and I almost think we perhaps could not do it today because we are beginning to take ourselves too seriously and demand 'respect' without earning it.

When the British lose their sang froid sense of humour, and their self deprecating manner I think the world at large will have also lost something quite important in the natural balance of things.

Edit: Just seen Jeff's post which overlapped mine and it makes perfect sense regarding the public private responsibilities which was what I was looking for as I have no idea about the 'fairgrounds' set up, until now . Thanks.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
For fuck's sake Larry you are like a goddamn puppet with an Archie Bunker tape in his mouth. SOME liberals and conservatives are unrelenting advocates of individual liberty and free speech. SOME liberals and conservatives are not. If you want examples, I can give you plenty, which will just highlight the continuing decline of the intelligence of people who get force fed Fox News all day.

What took you so long. You must be 'slowing down'...

If you want examples, I can give you plenty, which will just highlight the continuing decline of ('should really be 'decline in', not "of") the intelligence of people who get force fed Fox News all day.

See what I mean? Conservatives are dumb as door knobs 'far as lefties are concerned. (Thanks for providing the reader a custom tailored example confirming what I said w/o the need for anyone to 'Google' a darn thing, sir.)

It is a constant source of amazement (and amusement) to me, that the two main countries responsible for a lot of the current crop of PC nonsense worldwide both now and in the past are Australia and the United States - the very two countries you might be forgiven for thinking would be the very last bastions to hold out against some of the kind of soppy nonsense that tends to make instant victims of people just for the sake of being seen to be 'caring' .

That's an interesting point keith and I wonder if it has it's roots in the fact that both these now great nations, were, not so very long ago, just lawless, wild frontiers? Has that knowledge lead to and nurtured a national subconscious, or conscious desire, to be 'seen' to be caring and highly developed, leading us to these over-exaggerated 'PC' viewpoints now being enforced?

Put another way, it's new money, trying to look like old money but in an Oh-so enlightened way.

Mike Pass

Supporter
When the British lose their sang froid sense of humour, and their self deprecating manner I think the world at large will have also lost something quite important in the natural balance of things.

Nail on head hit you have!
You might have COPD but your brain is in good shape.

Cheers
Mike

Keith

Yeh daft as a box of frogs. Look at this!!

This is over my right shoulder.

You'd have to be completely brainless to have all this and no-where to put a table to eat from. Mind you, having a refocused and realistic sense of your own longevity certainly makes for more instant fun.

Longevity though is one thing. Activity is quite another if you get my drift.

£5k for cheap funeral. Spend the fucking rest!!

Yeeeehaw! (Slim Pickens - Dr Strangelove)

Good innit.. :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
£5k for cheap funeral. Spend the fucking rest!!

Well, I think a straw longboat and we can have an Up Helly Aa in mid channel. That would be a bit of fun towing a longboat with Rum Runner........
If you change your mind you'll have to swim back.

Back