In Car Video

Brian Stewart
Supporter
OK, so how does one get the video to run on a Mac???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry I have no clue about no Mac's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

For all you guys running windows, you should have the windows media player installed. If you dont for some reason you can go HERE and download the latest version. Once you have it installed it should automatically start every sound or video file when you double click it.

By the way, I strongly recommend that you use the Windows Update funtion in the start menu in the lower left of your task-bar. That way your system will be better protected and run the latest software because the bugs in MS operating systems get fixed over time.

Hope this helps,
Lukas

Whoa...

All I know is, that wasn't Sasketchewan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think the Coquihalla highway in BC at dawn would be good for a "dash"

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Mistral, F3l, Buzz

Apparently Batman and Robin aren't willing to say where the video was taken, Superheroes have to protect themselves you know:)

Buzz, The Caped Crusaders report no Fuel Starvation problems. All the plumbing is AN8 plus the surge tank, in fact leaning out the system at high RPM was a challenge. Braking and cornering has no effect on fuel delivery either.

Now if I could just get Superwomans address! PS: The high pressure pump mounts below the surge tank on the bracket shown.

Attachments

• 34933-Fuel System1.JPG
    34933-Fuel System1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 350
[ QUOTE ]
OK, so how does one get the video to run on a Mac???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll need to visit the Microsoft website and download the Windows Media Player for Mac.

Regards,

J.P

That does not look anything like 190mph to me. You really need to verify your speed readings with GPS. It looked more like 150MPH.

I've been well over 150MPH on a number of occasions. The actual cars you are overtaking IF you were going 190mph would like like stationery vehicles, the cars in the video don't. The video looks like my casual drive up to the local gardening shop.

I might be wrong, but it just doesn't look fast. Sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What diff were you using. What size wheels. What ratios in the ZF. What RPM etc.

I look forward to being prooved wrong,

Regards,

J.P

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi JP,

You could be onto something here. I'd love to have GPS mapping of lapping sessions (ad to wish list!).

In the west the traffic on four lane divided highways average 85>90 mph, much higher than in Ontario where we enjoy bumper to bumper congestion at 60mph if we're lucky.

We calibrated the speedo on the dyno and thought it was close. The sensor picks up from the CV joint bolts. Anyways to answer your question, the Dunlop tires are 26.5 dia., the ZF box has lower ratios than Getrag or Renault for example with a 3.22fd and .740 5th.

I wouldn't want to speculate on tire growth but it works out to 173.40mph @ 5500 rpm which was the last rpm seen shortly before shutting down.

We're going to check the calibration againt a measured mile to be sure of accuracy at posted speeds.

Enjoyed the pics of your Fuel Injection plumbing by the way!

Hi Ian

Interesting video - very impressive sounding engine / rate of acceleration but I too must admit that it doesn't quite look right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Roy's GTD has been calibrated against numerous 'speed traps' at the end of various sprints we compete in and on the Pirelli P7s - we manage about 29 / 30 mph per 1000 revs in 5th. For example, it was spot on at 132 at Brighton 2003

5000 revs for us (on P7s) equates to approx 150mph and the data logging showed 155.4 at 5200 rpm on Lavant straight at Goodwood and also tallied at Heyford Aerodrome at 176mph.

Looking at video of both of these runs in comparison, I would estimate your speed to be nearer 155-165... look again at the road centre line dashes and the approaching road sign, although it should also be remembered that wide, straight long roads tend to make judging speeds more difficult.

Whatever the actual speed, your car sounds great and it must be great to know for certain that the car behaves well, plus is nice and stable at such high speeds.

Finally - check out www.Race-Technology.com several club members over use them in the UK and as no trackside beacon is required, they are great for trackdays where such beacons are not allowed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Paul, Thanks for the link, looks like very good data loger and not completely unreasonable in price (although I'm looking at over $1,200cdn to land that product!).

I figured about 31.5mph/1000rpm with this setup. Anyways, it would be great to hook up with you guys sometime, I need a good excuse to bring a car over to your side of the pond:)

Cheers

Ian -

and all overseas club/forum members -

If any of you are thinking of coming over to the Uk this year, you might want to think about timing your visit to coincide with the club Trackday at Goodwood Motor Cicuit on Monday August 23rd.

Grid%20from%20air%201.JPG

We Brits are most welcoming to fellow minded enthusiasts and should anyone be able to bring their steed - what an event to visit. Any takers? - Jim? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you are thinking of attending - please email us so we can look out for you..

PS - not my intention to hijack this thread so please respond by email/pm, or add post to GTD Club section.

Crimony Batman!

Faster than a speeding bullet. Using my detective skills, based on dyno tuning in Red Deer (1.5 hours south of me here in Edmonton) and the looks of the road (I have travelled it at least 100 times) I would say these speeds were reached somewhere west of Ottawa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

What were the revs in 5th at 190? How many revs left?

Yes, we cruise Edmonton to Calgary at 140 kph and occassionally at 150 kph - posted "limit" is 110 but 125 is understood - (Got passed by 3/4 ton pulling speed boat just past Red Deer when I was doing 140-145 kph). Truck and speed boat were at 150-160 kph. Our white lines may not be equally spaced as they are in England or the U.S.

It appears that passing traffic was not as impressive because of the zoom lens. If it had been pulled back (the zoom) it probably would have appeared a little different.

This is impressive to me seeing as it was a roll on in 5th. I wonder the results would have been if it began with a hard pull in 4th and then to 5th! I understand it is a 40 mph spread in the gears. 4th tops out at 160 mph and the pull was started at 115-120 mph, which would have 4th sitting at about 3000-3500 rpm????

This is a tie for a North American (GT40) high speed run seeing as Rick Mertz hit 190 as well. I believe Gary Gibb was in the car so perhaps he can comment about speedo speed and seat of the pants speed. How accurate is the speedo in the GTD?

Why such a large margin between the flywheel and bhp readings? 507 fwhp less 17% should yield 420 bhp.

I would have been dusted my on my GSXR-750 above 140 mph! The CAV GT40 with that 500hp 347 in there is knocking on the Hayabusa's door.

Zahir, the CAV dealer in Calgary, owns an F-40 and other exotics (a few lambos too think) and it would be great to get his opinion of this video. Anyone else have supercar seat time to express their opinion on rates of acceleration?

Last question...

Why 190 and not the magic 200? Didn't have a spotter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Should have called me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Kouba

Supporter
How about this: A newbie who can contribute something!

Here's the scoop on GPS stuff and tracking your speed. I do a lot of climbing and such and purchased a GPS a while ago. When I bought it, there was an intentional "wander factor" built into it, theoretically so terrorists couldn't use it to guide a missile made from household appliances into the White House. Subsequently, I believe it has been decoded and the system is fairly "accurate."

Even so, if you turn on a GPS you will note that simply standing still, you will have a velocity as it sits. Usually less than 5mph, on the order of ~2 usually.

That said, the GPS I purchased has the ability to record whatever track you have laid down over a given time, and though I haven't done it, I know there are USB cables and software that should allow you to calculate your speed.

This won't do the same as the data logger linked above (has accelerometers and such), but if you're looking to sort out speed over a distance, you can obtain that from a simple GPS. Additionally, mine has a display where ground speed is shown, and someone sitting in the car can simply watch that and take notes.

Last check, my GPS (Garmin ETrex) was ~US$100, the cable was ~$40US (I think), and the software was ~US$80 (I think).

Simple solution, fairly accurate.

Chris

Link:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=3576289&parent_category_rn=4500600

(no personal affiliation with REI, they just have the stuff)

Chris Kouba

Supporter
PS: just realized in the link, if you double click on the the image and get the bigger image, you can see at the bottom of the display "SPEED 15 M/H."

Chris

Could be, could be, perhaps on the 401 somewhere west of Kingston heading westbound...

Must take in-car video now of certain choice pieces of road, perhaps we've started something here, virtual GT40!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Paul, Thats about the best excuse anybody could come up with for a trip over the pond! Might even be able to convince one of my customers to bring his car along too. We'll have another Gulf spec car done by then, this one being 1076 and right hand drive....

Cheers

If you want to get an accurate speed measurement without the benefit of a policeman's radar gun, there are a few handheld GPS units available that are accurate to within 0.1 - 0.5 MPH and 7-10'. They aren't cheap!
If you want to spend really big $$, some larger units will give an accuracy of 0.01 MPH and a location proximity of <12"!(surveyors use these)
Garmin is at the lower end of the accuracy scale, but is very portable. And cheap too! I used one to calibrate my speedo, and once the code was set into the speedo, the GPS stayed with it(within 1MPH + or -)from 10-160MPH. It didn't quite keep up on hard acceleration though.

Bill

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
The short run that I made with Gary in my car was only up to about 145 mph or so because there was traffic on the expressway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif My GTD has a VDO electronic speedo that was calibrated on a dyno at 140 mph. If the speedo is calibrated at a higher speed it will be more accurate in the higher range of the speedo. This speedo has several ways to calibrate it, the best being just put the car on a dyno run it up to speed note the speed on the dyno and adjust the speedo to match the dyno.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ditto on the GPS - I've owned a few and all were spot on - no 5mph at a standstill on mine. Two were car GPS units from Garmin and the current one is an aviation GPS. Good stuff! I'd highly recommend anyone doing speeds runs to try it out, speedo error is amazingly non-linear. Calibrate at high speed if that is where you want accuracy.

Back