It's Official - New GT

One of the most innovative new features appears to be the air tunnels. These replace the air ducts which on the original GT40's directed air over the engine. The large tunnels direct air straight thru the rear section.

From the pictures, these new air tunnels appear to direct air under wing like folds on the rear section. If my analysis is correct, these new tunnels according to Bernoulli's principle, would cause a negative lift on the car keeping it firmly placed on the road. Of course, this effect would only be effective at speeds probably exceeding 100 mph. Additionally, the air tunnels would likely reduce air resistance at high speeds!

John
:thumbsup:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Designed by an Aussie Todd Willing, who I was privileged to meet at a historic Formula Ford meeting prior to Christmas. As at time the car hadn't been released Todd was sworn to secrecy. I knew he worked for Ford and had just come home from Detroit.. But not a word, apparently his wife didn't even know what he was designing.
I want one of course.
John, the ducts next to the tail lights are where the turbos are waste gated ..more downforce?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I'd take one in a heart beat, I've really admired the MP4-12 and watched the prices come down in the last couple years on used cars.

Hi Jack. Like you, I'd love to have one of these. Had an on track ride in a McLaren MP4-12c and was amazed by the eerily solid feel of the carbon mono. Here's hoping the new GT's price is a relative bargain like the '05-'06 GT was.

Jack

Last edited:
From Road & Track...

Attachments

• gallery_nrm_1421161181-fordgtgulf_cdauto_11315_1_copy.jpg
    gallery_nrm_1421161181-fordgtgulf_cdauto_11315_1_copy.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 347
  • gallery_nrm_1421161315-fordgtgulf_cdauto_11315_2_copy.jpg
    gallery_nrm_1421161315-fordgtgulf_cdauto_11315_2_copy.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 359
  • landscape_nrm_1421161393-fordgtgulf_cdauto_11315_3_copy.jpg
    landscape_nrm_1421161393-fordgtgulf_cdauto_11315_3_copy.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 342
Sounds like the old Chevy Monza V6 flat plane crank but with a turbo whistle. I'm sure it's super fast and agile, just isn't for me, even at a low price. Maybe it will, in the end, Keep the value of the GT and the GT40 intact.

Ron Earp

Admin
The new Ford GT40 is a beautiful car and I feel it is a more elegant evolution of the concept than the 2005/2006 design. I don't mind the 3.5L Ecoboost engine at all, but as mentioned I'm not interested in the flappy paddles. Unfortunately, manual transmissions are probably only going to hang on with some cars of character, such as the Mustang, Camaro, and maybe the Corvette. Technology moves on.

The new Ford GT40 is a beautiful car and I feel it is a more elegant evolution of the concept than the 2005/2006 design. I don't mind the 3.5L Ecoboost engine at all, but as mentioned I'm not interested in the flappy paddles. Unfortunately, manual transmissions are probably only going to hang on with some cars of character, such as the Mustang, Camaro, and maybe the Corvette. Technology moves on.

I do not think that manual transmissions will hang out with some cars with character. the issue is cost. In less than 5 years the cost of DCT will go down that will make it into low cost american muscle cars (mustang and Chevy). ZF has a 7 speed DCT than could go on Mustang and Camaro in the near future. Corvette would only need one trany and it could reduce the cost of a low volume car with non-standard gearbox. I will not be surprised if the 2017 Shelby GT500 (50 year anniversary) will come out with paddles. Even the GT350 will be available in automatic since the competition forces to have it available. New automatics with 7 to 10 gears will allow better mpg and less emissions (helping CAFE). The Mustang for the first time will be world car with many engine options with RH and LH version and needs a DCT.

I really like the design. Apparently Todd Willing is a Hobart Tassie boy so good on him. Looks like we may not see the car here in Oz though (no R/H drive model) :-(
Todd Willing, from Hobart, designs new Ford GT supercar, but it won’t be sold Down Under | The Mercury

I spend the past 3 weeks in Australia including 3 day in Tasmania. It was nice to see the different cars from Ford and GM (Holden) in Australia. It is sad the production will end next year. Guessing why Ford closed manufacturing was due to the unique design of Ford Australia did not fit into Ford One World cars and the high cost of retooling and labor cost in Australia were the factors. It is cheaper to ship a car from Europe than built it in Australia. Toyota and Holden followed Ford's closing. My last trip to Australia was 23 years ago and the changes are great. Besides Hobart and Ayers Rock I visited 4 large cities (Sydney, Cairns, Melbourne and Brisbane) and they are very visitors oriented with many things to see. My only complain it is cost, Australia is very expensive (similar to London or Tokyo).

But going back to the Ford GT if the product last a RH version could be available in the future. China, Asia, India, Japan, England and Australia are RH drive. That is a very large market for Ford to ignore. RH drive market is larger than LH drive by far.

Keith

China, Asia, India, Japan, England and Australia are RH drive. That is a very large market for Ford to ignore. RH drive market is larger than LH drive by far.

Do you know, I never gave any thought to that. Interesting....

However, I am not sure the UK would be particularly hung up on RHD. There are many LHD vehicles here, heck I even drive one! (mid/rear engined Mercedes powered!)

Hello, I love the car, think it's a great step forward. They state it will be a much lower production than the previous car and higher price, so I don't think they need to make a R/H drive. Dan

Ford has suggested the price for the new GT will be substantially above the 05-06...and closer to Lambo Huracan and the like cars ...so $250k plus seems to be where it's going...we'll see.

Hello everyone,

I think the new GT is great, including that colour. The Ford stand looked really good with all the cars in that shade.

I would answer many of the comments / criticisms / observations on this thread by pointing out that this is not the ' new GT40 ' it is the 2016 Ford GT.

Sure it follows on the family line from the sixties, & Ford PR will stress that, but it has obviously set out to be a super car of its time (ie now). There is little future in constantly redefining a 50 year old design (even if it is the most beautiful car ever). At some point you have to move forward. Most of us on here will immediately see the GT40 style front & hood, plus the curved screen narrowed down Mirage style. For me, personally, these nods to the past are enough to keep some of the spirit and lineage of the previous cars to wear the name Ford GT40 / GT.
The '05 Ford GT was a brilliant update of the original car but you shouldn't, in my opinion, just do it again & again. Successful companies don't usually have just one good idea & keep repeating it, at some point there needs to be some revolution with the evolution. ( witness the decline of the home grown British car & motor cycle industries for instance )

The GT40 was successful in the sixties because the best people started with a clean sheet of paper (plus the Lola), a new factory & a pretty big bank account. If a double clutch gearbox was available then they would of used it....

The 'lack' of a V8 & stick shift is not an issue to me, if it is to you I respect that.
However,
The proposed output of 600+ horse power is for the road car, not just a race car.
The V6 turbo is a better fit with modern race series, & most likely future ones.
Ford want to promote the Ecoboost family of engines, they don't want a flagship car that has a different ethos.

In closing, I'd agree this must be a much more expensive car than the '05 GT. I can't see it affecting prices of previous GTs or replicas, it's a different animal. The added interest & publicity will I suspect strengthen their prices if anything.

Regards Steve

I think there is a significant difference between "Market" and "Population".

I know the difference between Market and Population. In 2013 Ferrari Sold 700 cars in China (mainland, taiwan and HK) alone (2nd largest market) and very close in the UK (largest European market). Japan sales were also high. Australia market is over 100 cars a year and shortage of cars. Ferrari did open in India and sales could be also over 100 cars. I do not have the numbers but with Ferrari production limited to 7500 cars (until now Fiat wants 10,000 yr) the RH production should be over 20% of their market.

It all depend if the Ford GT if is a short term 2 year production and how many. Carbon fiber Chassis you can assume it is a very low production car and expensive to make it legal every year. The last GT sat in dealers at discount in 2007. Ford is not oriented to small production cars and their dealers are volume sellers not ready to sell a $200K+ car

The 1990 GT90 720BHP; The 2005 Ford GT 550BHP-1700BHP This Ford GT 600BHP All Retro Ford GT(40) Why does it remind me of a Lotus? Stop trying to put elements of the past into a car. And have a completely new stunning "todays" design!!! When I was young I am 63 I do not think there were any Retro concepts cars. Mind you when I saw the E type for the first time it made every other cars on the road look like a brick. When you saw a Ferrari then it stood out.I love Lamborghinis being outrageous.
I hope it boosts interest in the original car as well as being a successful racer. But please lets look forward more!!
Regards Allan

Ron Earp

Admin
As time marches on it is increasingly difficult to design a car that doesn't resemble a previous design, and, they could do far worse than modeling on the GT40. I'm excited for Ford and their new Halo product ideas, good on them.

Back