James' GT-Forté scratch build GT40 MkI

Got my steel today - around 100 metres of it. Have to cut it up to fit it in the garage...

Attachments

• IMG_7067.JPG
    IMG_7067.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 712
What are you using to cut it?

I really want a bandsaw myself but don't have room so have to put up with just a chopsaw.

Thanks guys

Got the front uprights now. Just need some Granada hubs and callipers to go with them - anyone got some spare? :)

Attachments

• IMG_7124.JPG
    IMG_7124.JPG
    433.3 KB · Views: 891
Hi James,

Rob Broomfield kindly gave me some s/h Willwood 4 pots, so you can have my old Granada Calipers

Pm me your address and ill send them up to you

mick

I'd be tempted to just go with the alloy hubs, three reasons, first being they're light. Second being that with the design of the granada/cortina brakes the disk can't shed much heat into the wheel (a distinct advantage of alloy wheels). Use an alloy hub instead and aluminium being a much better conductor of heat it'll still nicely transfer that heat into the wheel. Final reason being that you can get hold of them easily....

Thanks Mick - that would be fantastic. I'll pm you my address. Let me know how much postage will be and a bit more for a beer or too :)

David, yep - I'll look into that, thanks. Have you sourced some for yours yet?

It should just bolt on. might have to mix and match a bit with flywheels/clutches but they'll all be Audi ones.

Hi Brian

Yep, as David says, it should just bolt on - no adaptor required.

I will need to sort out a flywheel insert to convert it from automatic to manual. Something like this.

Cheers
James

Done my first bit of actually building the car....

Cut the upper rails and got them ready for tacking up.

Attachments

• IMG_7515.JPG
    IMG_7515.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 985
Well done James.

Good luck. Is that your wine rack at the side ? Can't really see how full it is. Could be bad news. Either there for celebration, or to drown your sorrows.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen - yep, it's my 200 bottle or so wine rack, which is around 50% full :). I ferment my own wine (from kits), so can fill it up 30 bottles at a time. But it is proving a bit of a task to get it full as I keep drinking them!

Jayson - I'm looking forward to seeing the completed chassis too! It's some time off yet, but it's a great feeling to finally be able to get stuck into it properly.

Back