James' GT-Forté scratch build GT40 MkI

NickD

Supporter
Had a little time away from GT40 training for a triathlon, but back on it now. Welded in the harness fixings so there're directly behind the harness holes in the seats...

Hi James,

Hope all is well. Could you drop me a close up pic of your handbrake Handle mounting there ?

Also, You have places an extra cross member on your Roll hoopas oppsed to mine. Whats your thinking there ?

Thanks.

Nick.

Here you go Nick....

The handbrake is from an MGF and is pretty compact. It's got a switch on the other side for the brake light.

I've also made a start on the gear stick. Need to wait until I've sorted out the steering wheel position before welding it in place to ensure there's no interference.

Extra cross member - do you mean the horizontal box section below the lower round tube? That's just to position the threaded tube for the harness

Attachments

• IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_2729.JPG
    IMG_2729.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 697

NickD

Supporter
Here you go Nick....

The handbrake is from an MGF and is pretty compact. It's got a switch on the other side for the brake light.

I've also made a start on the gear stick. Need to wait until I've sorted out the steering wheel position before welding it in place to ensure there's no interference.

Extra cross member - do you mean the horizontal box section below the lower round tube? That's just to position the threaded tube for the harness

Hi James,

Thanks for that, I've slung my hand brake so low that when its up, it'll certainly interfere with the main cooling pipes. I must have been half asleep that night.

Looking at your gear shift - I thought you were right hand drive, any reason for the centre shift ?

Ha, yep - doing everything at least twice means you get at least twice the fun :).

I've got an Audi 01E box which has the control on the left hand side, so cable shifters down the center looks like the simplest solution. I'm planning to use the space to the right of the driver (where the gear rods would have been) for some of the services - a/c, wiring loom, maybe brakes

Hey James, I'm trying to develop a centre shift for a tornado with Renault 013 box, what mechanism have you got planned for cabin and box ends of things. the shifter you have at present, what is that, MR2?

Hi James, wow that audi box is a beauty, I'm going to have to buy a sandblaster. many thanks for the pic links, that rear shifter mechanism is very neat. K

Got most of the first coat of zinc primer on...

Quite surprised how long it takes! File down weld splatter, wire wool clean, roughen up with sand paper, clean with white spirits, then paint. Just got sand, second primer coat, sand, first top coat, sand, second top coat. Turn over and repeat :).

Glad that I've got most of the bare metal covered now though as my garage has a metal roof which tends to attract condensation which then rains down...

Attachments

• IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_2872.JPG
    IMG_2872.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 694
Good spot Brett! It's my first proper road bike, which I'm really pleased with. Although it's getting a bit more action on the rollers than the road at the minute!

Rollers :anxious: You're braver than me, I just stick to the turbo and :sweatdrop:

Must get a set though for balance practice. Got a Cannondale, a PX and a Quintana Roo myself :happy:

Quarq Powermeter (probably an Elsa) and I'll probably build myself a set of wheels - H Plus Son Archetypes or Pacenti SL23s on a either Dura Ace Hubs or some White Industries T11s, probably on radial Sapim Lasers on the fron and then Radial Laser on the NDS with 2x Sapim Race on the DS.

This of course is in lieu of a new bike and why I still haven't finished my car yet LOL

Hi james. Just clearing the decks ready to start a scratch build in the New Year. Thanks for all the detailed photos. Really great help and providing much needed inspiration during the rather boring task of small garage/workshop preparation. Bob.

Hi Bob

Looks like you're starting off on a similar path - won't be long until you're cutting and welding!. Judging by the photos of your Bugatti's, there's going to be another fine GT40 along soon.

If you're near Leeds at any point, you're more than welcome to look over my build.

Good luck
James

THE CHASSIS IS FINISHED!!!!!

Taken a bit of time, but finally got to this milestone. (The 4 coats of paint were especially tedious!)

But at last I can move on to the next stage :)

Attachments

• IMG_4097.JPG
    IMG_4097.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_4096.JPG
    IMG_4096.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_4099.JPG
    IMG_4099.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 507

NickD

Supporter
THE CHASSIS IS FINISHED!!!!!

Taken a bit of time, but finally got to this milestone. (The 4 coats of paint were especially tedious!)

But at last I can move on to the next stage :)

Great stuff James, Now it starts to get more expensive ;-(

Back