James' GT-Forté scratch build GT40 MkI

My radiator came today. Cool!

Attachments

• IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 405

NickD

Supporter
Looking good James. Your build is looking top draw. All the better from being from scratch drawings only. Balls of steel bud, I thought I was brave going for a chassis kit build ;-(

Looking good James. Your build is looking top draw. All the better from being from scratch drawings only. Balls of steel bud, I thought I was brave going for a chassis kit build ;-(

Indeed I echo Nick's comments, great build and keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Main roll bar and supports in place. Starting to feel like a car now (well, a little anyway!)

Attachments

• IMG_1758.JPG
    IMG_1758.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_1938.JPG
    IMG_1938.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 554

NickD

Supporter
Main roll bar and supports in place. Starting to feel like a car now (well, a little anyway!)

I remember doing that bit on mine (alone), toughest part of the build so far. Looking great James. You can't have too much to do Chassis wise now ?

Hi Nick - yep, nearly there. Just the windscreen roll bar & roof roll bars to go I think. I might add a couple more bits like handbrake and harness mounting points then it'll be time to paint it. Will probably just do an undercoat for now (to keep the rust off) in case I need to weld in any other bits and pieces...

Hi Keith

Yes, I've read Franks articles & associated discussions. I figured a GT40 is inherently less safe compared to a modern production car and if I was going to stop and think about all the 'what ifs' I wouldn't be building a 1960s race car...

Keith

Interesting, thanks for the reply. It's a knotty point all right and I would have to conclude that you must follow your best judgement. Quite frankly, I have raced many cars not originally intended for full roll cages and the inherent dangers weren't undstood then.

Plus of course, sanctioning body requires a full cage - sanctioning body gets one!

Great build, lovely welding... sorry for any drift here!

Hi Nick - yep, nearly there. Just the windscreen roll bar & roof roll bars to go I think. I might add a couple more bits like handbrake and harness mounting points then it'll be time to paint it. Will probably just do an undercoat for now (to keep the rust off) in case I need to weld in any other bits and pieces...

Hello
very nice and neat progress on your built ; your rollbar is superbly integrated to the frame ... Congrats
yes you are right about doing only aprimer coat and follw your built !! This allow to do a very final set up of all ancillaries around every where adding all those small bracket needed by welding that prevents to drill and add hugly ones if forgot when chassis have been definitly coated !!!!!
Very good and professional decision

How are you making out with warpage? If there's any. Personally I would've completed the whole frame and tac welded it all together before the final welding. It would've eliviated some warping do to it being more strutually sound.

How are you making out with warpage? If there's any. Personally I would've completed the whole frame and tac welded it all together before the final welding. It would've eliviated some warping do to it being more strutually sound.

Hi. It's designed to be built in the three horizontal sections and then the vertical / cross members added in, which I've done. If everything was tack welded first then all welded up, it'd be pretty difficult to get into all the places to do the welding, especially where several pieces meet each other - you need to fully weld the main sections then weld the vertical / cross pieces on top of your previous welds.

I've been pretty scrupulous with the tape measure, saw, g-clamps, spirit level etc tacking opposite corners, working up the tacks trying to avoid warping. This is one of the areas I was concerned about. But it's all within a few mm, which I'm pretty pleased with.

Welded in the mounting for the handbrake, and got some headlights. Looking forward to the day when I see them lit up :)

Attachments

• IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 380
Had a little time away from GT40 training for a triathlon, but back on it now. Welded in the harness fixings so there're directly behind the harness holes in the seats...

Attachments

• IMG_2727.JPG
    IMG_2727.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 474
Back