Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

Ed McClements

Supporter
Please don't treat this as any form of recommendation - do your own homework.

You do know this, but it depends upon which subject you want to scan and how good your computer hardware is.
We already have an Einscan HX? blue light type - about the size of 90s mobile phone :) It's great for bigger stuff like a bellhousing or a wheel casting.

Today I got a little Revopoint MINI for smaller close up stuff. It is another much smaller blue light unit but claims to be more accurate, and also handheld. The package is delivered fully accessorised as a kit including an inclined rotary table and a steady hand tripod.
The unit is only about the size of my Leica camera and on my first venture without a micrometer I used one to make axis machining files for the barbs on these plumbing fittings.
The files for those plastic wiper parts have also gone for prototype printing.

As a result and I did have to think long about it, but now I need to dispose of my hydraulic draughting board after 50 years and play with TurboCad.

View attachment 125992

There is a lad up the road from me making a 1:8 model of my car using a metal body shell from the Dagistini GT40 kit as the basis. The rest is 3D work.
Ryan knows all about this stuff as he let me have a beautiful scan of his 302 short block recently.

View attachment 125993

You have blown my tiny mind! I had no idea that this type of technology was available for less than the cost of a Gigafactory. Looking forward to future posts showcasing what can be achieved. Thanks.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Eddie
I won't be doing much of this stuff on here as it is our build log.
I might set up a thread elsewhere on the forums if folks are interested, but there are some young fellas far more skilled than I doing this work quietly on here and on the web.
Here is an appetiser for you, a screenshot from a digital file made by Ryan. I am having this file 3D printed in aluminium at 1/8th scale for the toy model.

302 Engine Block Scan Screenshot.jpg

Andrew
I also have a few heads and covers about here which I will scan when I get time. Thanks so much for the offer.
There are some 1:8 resin 3D prints of complete 289s engines out there but none that I can see have the correct GT40 rocker covers.

My plan is to learn more about this skill and practise by scanning all of the the original GT40 castings including the 4-bolt bellhousing, distributor and alternator bracket for full size CAD modelling, although my other motivator is to record measurements from some very special musical instrument carved tops for my luthier hobby.

Any details about the P numbers you'r using for both these GT40's as you'r are building them closer to perfection the SPF will ever be and they seem to continue the P numbering.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Another day of chilling rain.
So far I made a list of parts being scanned in 3D for pattern making to make spares for Alistair and myself.

100% Original castings or parts used :

4-bolt ZF Bellhousing ( 1 original and 1 good copy to calculate shrinkage bolt spacing )
ZF Side Shift Lever Brackets - 2 types
ZF-0 Top Cover
ZF-0 Side Plates
ZF-1 Rear Cover
ZF Oil Cooler Pump
XF Distributor
Alternator Bracket
Damper Pulley
Gearshift bulkhead bearing housing
Plastic Wiper parts (lost wax trees for alloy or 3D printing in polymer)
Door Handle
Fuel Cap
Weber 48 IDA
Fispa Unit
3-way Fuel Tap Lever and body
Engine Front manifold Y-pipe
Hartwell Latch Body Brackets

Existing castings or using patterns based upon drawings :

Node and brackets position and cast marks on the steering rack casting (fitted to the cars so it is difficult to complete the whole casting but the rest of the piece is simple)
Pedal Box ( I might revise this a wee bit)
Gearshift lever bracket

Castings will be produced in Furane sand boxes, or investment and lost wax flasks.

Other 3D scan projects which I thought would be fun to do and on the go are carving profiles for my wooden instrument making hobby such as 1959 Les Paul, also spruce tops and maple back patterns for violin making. (Amati, Strad and Guarneri patterns)

Another day of chilling rain.
So far I made a list of parts being scanned in 3D for pattern making to make spares for Alistair and myself.

100% Original castings or parts used :

4-bolt ZF Bellhousing ( 1 original and 1 good copy to calculate shrinkage bolt spacing )
ZF Side Shift Lever Brackets - 2 types
ZF-0 Top Cover
ZF-0 Side Plates
ZF-1 Rear Cover
ZF Oil Cooler Pump
XF Distributor
Alternator Bracket
Damper Pulley
Gearshift bulkhead bearing housing
Plastic Wiper parts (lost wax trees for alloy or 3D printing in polymer)
Door Handle
Fuel Cap
Weber 48 IDA
Fispa Unit
3-way Fuel Tap Lever and body
Engine Front manifold Y-pipe
Hartwell Latch Body Brackets

Existing castings or using patterns based upon drawings :

Node and brackets position and cast marks on the steering rack casting (fitted to the cars so it is difficult to complete the whole casting but the rest of the piece is simple)
Pedal Box ( I might revise this a wee bit)
Gearshift lever bracket

Castings will be produced in Furane sand boxes, or investment and lost wax flasks.

Other 3D scan projects which I thought would be fun to do and on the go are carving profiles for my wooden instrument making hobby such as 1959 Les Paul, also spruce tops and maple back patterns for violin making. (Amati, Strad and Guarneri patterns)
The Les Paul. is a mark of excellent good taste.... not because I'm Paul
Happy new year

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I think I have about twelve or so.

It is something so awesome when you don't remember how many Les Paul's you have. It's funny how so many of us are afflicted..... A distant friend has an old amp habit, I have an old guitar habit. One day we brought them mostly together:

AL9nZEXkgnwUfPXpxbtkLE244aJYKY222oovAGWYw-Uwtw2IEQJrPwibz1EzizW65PXdGNPp5hYC0F2dd22HXkhLSIj1gT0W_DwTmG7natMt_FpHYOoRJ335I-65X5Khe-EB-XI-MCck3QPVSXY5RPcD_tXAQA=w1366-h465-no

The first, second, and fourth are actually 50's Gibsons. The left-most burst is a '21 and the next newest is from 92. This was a wonderful day!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
It is something so awesome when you don't remember how many Les Paul's you have. It's funny how so many of us are afflicted..... A distant friend has an old amp habit, I have an old guitar habit. One day we brought them mostly together:

AL9nZEXkgnwUfPXpxbtkLE244aJYKY222oovAGWYw-Uwtw2IEQJrPwibz1EzizW65PXdGNPp5hYC0F2dd22HXkhLSIj1gT0W_DwTmG7natMt_FpHYOoRJ335I-65X5Khe-EB-XI-MCck3QPVSXY5RPcD_tXAQA=w1366-h465-no

The first, second, and fourth are actually 50's Gibsons. The left-most burst is a '21 and the next newest is from 92. This was a wonderful day!
Marvellous Chris !
How cool is that Gold Top Deluxe "with Firebird pups ??" - cant see the poles in them.
I do like the "63 335 dot Cherry with the smaller ears there on the right. I had to wait years to get a lefty one of those.

Amp wise I am not too fussy and I use a Denis Cornell Plexi most of the time but also have a little Fender Tweed Deluxe and a Mesa Subway Rocket.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
How cool is that Gold Top Deluxe "with Firebird pups ??" - cant see the poles in them.

Extremely well spotted James! That is my treasure- its a '52 GT which has been seriously reworked-pick ups, stop tail, shaved bridge, original neck angle, tuners, etc... Truly player's grade which made it affordable, but the pick ups absolutely sparkle with it and it plays fantastically. I absolutely love it.

The 335 was great too, but that one is Marcus' guitar. It was a fantastic day, there were no sour apples in the bushel!

We played through a number of amps, but the one we kept returning to was a 50's era Gibson, but I forget specifically which one at this point.

Extremely well spotted James! That is my treasure- its a '52 GT which has been seriously reworked-pick ups, stop tail, shaved bridge, original neck angle, tuners, etc... Truly player's grade which made it affordable, but the pick ups absolutely sparkle with it and it plays fantastically. I absolutely love it.

The 335 was great too, but that one is Marcus' guitar. It was a fantastic day, there were no sour apples in the bushel!

We played through a number of amps, but the one we kept returning to was a 50's era Gibson, but I forget specifically which one at this point.
Could you guys play something from the Doors and put it on Windows for us.......?

Back