Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Randy
No problem and good advice. The idea of all that hot wiring located inches from a 5" fuel filler scares me too.

Ammeters are easily converted and here is a CAV version which maintains the look of the original amperes unit.

L1000641.jpeg

Neil

Supporter
Randy
No problem and good advice. The idea of all that hot wiring located inches from a 5" fuel filler scares me too.

Ammeters are easily converted and here is a CAV version which maintains the look of the original amperes unit.

View attachment 124578
An expanded scale will give you more useful information. Using this scale it will be difficlut to tell the difference between 12.2V and 12.6V- a big difference in the state of charge in your battery.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hi James,
are you selling any of the steering wheel centers? If so,
I would be interessted.
All the best, Boris
Hi Boris
We are out in the market for some vacuum foil and painting work to do on them so not at the moment.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Well apparently it was relatively easy to convert a CAV ammeter to a voltmeter.
Last weekend my mate Paul Hendrickx asked me to help him with this idea so I dismantled one converted voltmeter and a second factory made CAV voltmeter. I gave Paul the two resistance values and he had succeeded in getting a reasonable reading from his CAV unit conversion by adding the correct value resistor to the circuit.
Don't ask me for the kOhm values as these two units gave me different resistances using an accurate Fluke multimeter and I think it will depended upon the sweep of the meter used.
Note these were 0 to +ve meters and the CAV discharge / charge meters as in battery condition units might be wired differently.

L1000648.jpeg

L1000649.jpeg

Neil

Supporter
Well apparently it was relatively easy to convert a CAV ammeter to a voltmeter.
Last weekend my mate Paul Hendrickx asked me to help him with this idea so I dismantled one converted voltmeter and a second factory made CAV voltmeter. I gave Paul the two resistance values and he had succeeded in getting a reasonable reading from his CAV unit conversion by adding the correct value resistor to the circuit.
Don't ask me for the kOhm values as these two units gave me different resistances using an accurate Fluke multimeter and I think it will depended upon the sweep of the meter used.
Note these were 0 to +ve meters and the CAV discharge / charge meters as in battery condition units might be wired differently.

View attachment 125040

View attachment 125041
As long as you've gone this far why not convert it to an "expanded scale" voltmeter"? Simply put a 10V Zener diode (or better yet, a 2-terminal voltage reference) in series with a different value of series resistor. You will have a reading of 10v to say, 15V giving you much better scale for reading your battery voltage.

Google is still your friend when in need....

this explains quite well what needs to be done to change ammeter in to volt meter
while I received only this morning my cav ammeter ,so il will start calculations and see how much fumes I can produce with short circuit....when I test
Paul
wanted to say how much smoke I will produce with my short circuits sometime I use franglais....

I bought a nice 3D scanner today for accurate pattern making. This thing is accurate to 8 microns.
What type did you buy? Been looking into the same but alot to choose from.
At work we have been hiring a romer absolute arm, but that is a bit out of my league cost wise.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Please don't treat this as any form of recommendation - do your own homework.

You do know this, but it depends upon which subject you want to scan and how good your computer hardware is.
We already have an Einscan HX? blue light type - about the size of 90s mobile phone :) It's great for bigger stuff like a bellhousing or a wheel casting.

Today I got a little Revopoint MINI for smaller close up stuff. It is another much smaller blue light unit but claims to be more accurate, and also handheld. The package is delivered fully accessorised as a kit including an inclined rotary table and a steady hand tripod.
The unit is only about the size of my Leica camera and on my first venture without a micrometer I used one to make axis machining files for the barbs on these plumbing fittings.
The files for those plastic wiper parts have also gone for prototype printing.

As a result and I did have to think long about it, but now I need to dispose of my hydraulic draughting board after 50 years and play with TurboCad.

IMG_1741.jpeg

There is a lad up the road from me making a 1:8 model of my car using a metal body shell from the Dagistini GT40 kit as the basis. The rest is 3D work.
Ryan knows all about this stuff as he let me have a beautiful scan of his 302 short block recently.

IMG_1732.jpeg

No problems James,
I still have not found any of the heads locally to get scanned either.
I need to go and visit a mates place to see if he has some.

Back