Jim's ERA build

Continuing on to the fuel system. I used an Aeromotive fuel pump with a pre and post fuel filter. the first photo was before I reanodized the fittings to the same color. The next photo is the final polished set up. This is a twin system with one on each side of the car. Since the car is so hard to get in and out of I got to thinking about how quick I could get out of the car if it got hit. The thought of two electric fuel pumps behind my head continuing to pump fuel was a little concerning. So I wired in an inertia switch to shut off all the electrcal if the car had a significant impact. Sort of an electical air bag.

era yosemite 007 (640x480).jpg

tahoe 144 (640x480).jpg

car 11-25 007 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter
I think that is the most sparkling, shiney ZF I have ever seen. Beautiful drivetrain. Who polishes it?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Hi, Jim....just wondering if there's been any progress on your ERA build you'd like to share.

Hoping to hear good news!

Cheers!

Doug

gt 6-23-10 003 (640x480).jpgAfter reading a post the other day that stated there were no complete ERA build threads I thought I should take the time and complete mine. At my last post I was just starting to put in the engine. There is a photo of the engine in without the transaxle.

After getting the engine in I embarked on the exhaust system. I wanted it to be a piece of art rather than pipes going in different directions. Since I couldn't find anybody to do it the way I wanted I decided to do it myself. After I brushed up on my tig welding I started cutting up and welding the mandrel bends. In this photo you can see the beginning of the project. Note you can see some of the pipes taped together. I wanted all of the tubes to come off the heads of the same angle.

Attachments

• rainbow king 078 (640x480).jpg
    rainbow king 078 (640x480).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 578
As to future ERAGTs, the reality is that with respect to the available ERAGTs, "in the pipeline", all are spoken for. Each is virtually custom-hand built for a customer and as a result can literally take years to complete. A new run of chassis would require firm deposits (commitments) from ten or so folks to warrant stamping out another run of the stainless tubs. Given the excellent national and international competition and the reality of the current economics here in the northeast, production of the ERAGT has been more a "labor of love" than a profit center for the company.

...but, never say never.

I'm just grateful to have had the opportunity to have owned ERAGT 2038 and now ERAGT2077. I am informed by the younger generation in my family that the ERAGT is a legacy car and cannot be sold...

Each has been the realization of what was originally just a fantasy. And I thank the guys at ERA for making it happen.

Jim

Attachments

• STA70177 (Small).JPG
    STA70177 (Small).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
It has become more and more difficult to produce a top-quality product at a reasonable price. I really enjoy the fabrication and putting together cars. It has been a real pleasure to build the ERA car. All the pieces fit like it should and no shortcuts have been taken. Truly the best of the industry. That said here is a photo of the completed header project.

Attachments

• office and girls 003.jpg
    office and girls 003.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 544
  • office and girls 007.jpg
    office and girls 007.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 584
  • office and girls 008.jpg
    office and girls 008.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 505

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Mission accomplished!!! What a work of art those headers are, so fluid in their form!

SO looking forward to the rest of this thread....thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Cheers!

That really is a nice build. There is only one flaw that happened to just jump out at me. The fuel lines. They are sitting almost right on the exhaust header. It was looking like it on the first post of the exhast build. There is a way out however. You will need to consider one of the following. A turkey pan, a shield at the rear only or swap sides with the webbers and shorten the fuel lines to keep the fuel from boiling. Otherwise a great build.
When I first started looking at GT 40s ERA was first on my list. I traveled to Conneticutt to see their factory and was very impressedd. I also visited Tornado, which was just down the road from them at the time.

Bill

Bill, thank you for your observations. I believe the previous photos presents an optical illusion that the fuel line is closer to the pipe then it is. There is at least 1 inch between the line and pipe. Two other factors which will help reduce the fuel boiling are the headers are ceramic coated and the fuel system is a circulating system. At a later date if there seems to be a problem I will probably wrap the pipe or the fuel line.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 411
Jim, that's the most beautiful engine, and engine bay, I've ever seen. Stunning. You should hermetically seal the whole car in a glass box so people around the world can admire it for generations to come. I don't think I would have the heart to take it on the road.

Hi Jim, absolutely incredible job on the exhaust system!!!!, could you tell me whose mufflers they are or did you make those also, I would like to put a pair like that on my CAV, thanks and all the best, Neville Nesbitt on Long Island, NY.

Neville, thank you for your kind comments. I did not make the mufflers. I bought this item from Stainless Works item number ST252425P. They have a 2 1/2 inch inlet, 3 1/2 inch body and 24 inches long. Enclosed are a couple of photos of how I made the brackets to keep them stabilized. This was just made out of some aluminum channel material and some clamps.

Attachments

• 7-13-12 058.jpg
    7-13-12 058.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 430
  • 7-13-12 059.jpg
    7-13-12 059.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 423
  • 7-13-12 060.jpg
    7-13-12 060.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 489
  • 7-13-12 061.jpg
    7-13-12 061.jpg