John Place

GT40 in BMW blue and white stripe and nose flare.
(Water under the car from the sprinklers - car has no leaks and it is easy to check on my auto lift)

Attachments

• 36923-GT40rear.jpg
    36923-GT40rear.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 606
Hey, what is going on here?! I remember this car,,,,Saturday,,,,Howard's house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great car, John, add a few more shots, specially from the side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

A side view of my CAV GT40 in good company with Cobra and Turbo Porsche.
John

Attachments

• 37011-JHPStable3.jpg
    37011-JHPStable3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 593
CAV GT40 Blue and white stripe stunner
Was surrounded today in shopping parking lot with guys requesting I wait while they went to fetch cameras.

Attachments

• 37102-GT40frn.jpg
    37102-GT40frn.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 614
Latest;

My GT40 will be back on the road again this month with a new 427 aluminum Dart block, AFR heads, balanced crank, H-rods, fuel injection etc. We have changed rear axles for stronger ones including using Porsche racing universals to handle the higher power. We took the opportunity to completely seal the cockpit, insulate every section and double the rear window for sound and heat suppression. Inreased the radiator and A/C capability. Overall weight remained the same due to engine weight saving. More in a few weeks. Similar work on Roy Sales's GT40, CAV San Diego dealer, has placed his GT40 in top ratings on the tracks.

John

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
John,

If you get some time, could you please elaborate a little on the brand\type of insulation you used, what you did to increase the A/C capability. I too am getting ready to do the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim, I will be glad to elaborate and give you full details, as soon as we get the car back from the header builder, the last step in the changes. It will need to do some road miles before it can be passed as acceptable. Guess it is still a case of "two weeks".

John

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks John, look forward to hearing how is all goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My GT40 is on the road and like a different car, in fact runs like the Ford GT.
All Aluminum Dart 427, AFR heads, SCAT Ultralight crankshaft, aluminum flywheel, SCAT H-beam conn rods, Accel/DFI distributor, producing 550 HP and 547 lbs-ft at 3,000 rpm.
Quietened cockpit sealing all joints and applying Dynamat heat seal, also double plexiglass rear and caulking compound. Stronger stub axles, drive flanges, drive shafts and CV joints and bolts.
Many other improvements along the way.

John

Attachments

• 68959-GT40Eng2.jpg
    68959-GT40Eng2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 539
Hi John,

I suspect that California has a number of sleeper CAVs that just don’t get much publicity. And, a CAV with an aluminum 427 is certainly worthy of comments and pictures. Very nice car. I hope you continue to add to your thread.

Are there any pictures, stories, or advice you can share? I would be especially interested in track opportunities, track stories, and things you may have done to your car to pass tech inspection at the track or just make the car more bullet proof. Any idea how Roy is prepping his track cars?

Bob

Hi Bob;

Roy is also using Joe Leonard of J C Performance in Grover Beach to prep his track cars.
Joe and I intend to give this car some road time then proceed to the track. The gear ratios have been chosen to suit track application rather than trying for a high top speed. Rear axles, CV's and driveshafts have been strengthened. Roy is using the same, as the high HP engines will break axles and/or CV's. I have gone fully aluminum, saves weight, while Roy stayed iron block. Also improved engine mountings from plate to billets.

Hi John,

I have just returned home from a business trip, so sorry for the delay in acknowledging your answers and thanks for the comments, especially about the driveshafts. I understand Joe Leonard has a great race car background and good references. I have never met him in person but hope to visit him and his shop someday.

I am the sort of person who does research and asks a lot of questions months in advance of starting any project. Ultimately I want my car hardened enough to drive “seriously hard” on the track. I don’t expect to keep up with you and Roy and your Godzilla engines, but I’ll bet I get some great video footage as the two of you go by!

I was just hoping there might be additional information to share that was specific to prepping a CAV. I would be most interested in any fuel management modifications. Have you had any fuel delivery issues on the track especially during hard acceleration, braking, and sustained high G turns? Also any suggestions about the routes of the tubing for venting and fill-overflow of the fuel cells would also be a big help. Any details here are useful otherwise I will just do the standard race preps necessary for all track cars.

Bob

Bob;

I have not had a chance yet to do track testing.
Joe leonard is the right person for what you are wanting. He is a perfectionist and has changed fuel and cooling system. Tel: 805-437-0908.
If he has your car it will become a track reliable car.

John

Hi John,

I am sure I will get with Joe before I am done. Thanks for the lead. If you find yourself in Phoenix and have the time, give me a call.

Bob

Hi John. Just to put the record steaght, I do have the Dart aluminum block allso which J.C.fitted, and the same injection ect. With regards to the 2 c.v. joints I broke after I had fitted two wrong spaces to the inner c.v.s causing the drive shafts to push the outer c.v. inner races sideways, taking these spaces out solved the problem as we then have the correct full clear bump and drop travel. J.C.s upgrade is defanatly an improvment for the realy high h.p.engines. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We are all allways looking for a better or different way to improve the wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Cheers and T.T.F.N. will see you at the cobra bash.

John I will have to agree with you Joe Leonard is a perfectionist and has the passion to do work like your car for as long as he lives, I hope to follow his footsteps. I have had the chance to ride in Roy's and your car, they are breathless inside and out, I cannot fathom the time spent by Joe to create a car that you have. I will have to correct you JC PERFORMANCE TEL: 805-473-0908

I have seen Joe's work for years now and repect eveything about him. After seeing what Joe did to your blue GT-40 " it is the ULTIMATE GT-40 with all of its accessories and HP" I hope you enjoy the car. On Roy's GT-40 a magnet will stick to the Dart Block (not aluminum)

Agent 86 "have to love the tiger"

I just served myself a big piece of humble pie today, Thursday January 19, 2006. I was so sure for the last 12 months that I had a Dart Aluminum Block in my car I have never put a magnet to it. I apparently misunderstood the builder JC. It’s my fault and I feel like an idiot. I am corrected by John and Agent 86. I apologize, its painted aluminum and it is a Dart and I’m told it’s a 351 bored and stroked to 427 (unless I get corrected again). I called Joe from JC Performance the builder and confirmed it.
Both John’s and my GT’s will be at the www.vipclassics.com booth at the Western Cobra Bash (you don’t need to bring your magnet). We will also have the fabulous new Auto Futura post #100 chassis for all to view.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Attachments

• 72706-COBRAandCAVgt-MASTER1web.jpg
    72706-COBRAandCAVgt-MASTER1web.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 528
Back