John's RCR build

Sandy

I am researching going down your route. Effectively on a RH drive car my reservoirs are on the "wrong side" ie the LH side.(There is'nt room with the way the air con is set up to have them on the RH side and ensure that they are above the height of the calipers which I prefer to do) Did you use ss line or braided hose from the reservoirs to the bulkhead fitting?

Best

John

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I used SS braided and Aeroquip hose ends. Then covered with nice orange fire shield. For you the run is longer might be tidyer with some hard line. From the tanks to the bulk head for me as a short bit of length, but for wrong side drive I guess you will have to run a bit longer. Then through -4 bulkhead fittings to the inside. Then just more of the same to the masters.

Air con? It's this a race car ;) ;)

Sandy

Like you I have decided to go down the -4 stainless braided hose route, should look good. Is the CNC 1/8 a 1/8 NPT which seems likely as it's a US product (the fittings suppliers also offer 1/8 BSP to -4 just to confuse)?

Thanks again

John

Last edited:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Sandy

Like you I have decided to go down the -4 stainless braided hose route, should look good. Is the CNC 1/8 a 1/8 NPT which seems likely as it's a US product (the fittings suppliers also offer 1/8 BSP to -4 just to confuse)?

Thanks again

John

Yep, the thread for Left Hand Drive :) 1/8 NPT to -4 will do it.

'Ello

Offered up the Quaife ZF-Q bell housing to the LS7, slight fettling of one of the two holes for the location studs, took just a few minutes with a dremel (Actually it was a force fit as delivered but Mr Melia suggested I eased it just a tad:idea:) but for those of you looking to go down bowtie and Quaife route thought the pics might be of interest.

John

Attachments

• Gt 40 build 003 bell housing to LS7 001.jpg
    Gt 40 build 003 bell housing to LS7 001.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 798
  • Gt 40 build 003 bell housing to LS7 002.jpg
    Gt 40 build 003 bell housing to LS7 002.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 672
  • Gt 40 build 003 bell housing to LS7 003.jpg
    Gt 40 build 003 bell housing to LS7 003.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 672
That block/bellhousing does not appear to have the chevy dowel holes drilled ( in the blank bosses between the two holes on each side ) The ford bolt & dowel pattern is drilled, not sure that the chevy dowel ones are. The seven bolts do NOT locate the housing.

If this is the case you will need to do a runout check on the bell housing register before drilling dowel holes.

Thanks for the interest. Dowel holes are pre drilled by Quaife. The bell housing is designed to fit either SB Ford or Chevy LS. I referred to them as location studs above.

'Ello all

Been hibernating during the cold bit but out in the garage now like a true harbinger of spring.

Some recent progress.

1. Connected up the brake/clutch reservoirs
2. Installed radiator, bleed pipe to header, condenser, trinary tubes etc. Was going to shroud the rad etc but after polishing the fabricated fan mount, radiator top and condenser top decided I preferred the naked look.
3. Removed powder coat from top of side sponsons (nearly finished) and trial laid out the feux fuel plate and mouldings (still need finishing at either end) prior to epoxy resin fix.
4. Cut out flow and return hole in the middle bulkhead and fuel filler hole and vent pipe hole prior to fitting the bag tanks. The fuel filler hole is slightly larger than it needs to be as I intend to inset the tank part way and then fit the rigid fuel senders through the hole before sliding (ready wired!) into final position. This was done because I didn't want to cut another large hole in the sponson immediately behind the scuttle weld point nor did I like the idea of significantly deforming the bags with a rigid sender in place when inserting them through the front cut out (which will be tight anyway)

Steps 3 and 4 are taking longer than I would have thought, especially cutting holes in the (very inaccessible) bulkhead, but almost there now and feeling rather pleased.

More pics in next post

John

Attachments

• SPEC pics 005.jpg
    SPEC pics 005.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 619
  • SPEC pics 006.jpg
    SPEC pics 006.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 593
  • SPEC pics 007.jpg
    SPEC pics 007.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 635
  • SPEC pics 008.jpg
    SPEC pics 008.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 646
  • SPEC pics 009.jpg
    SPEC pics 009.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 647
More pics.

Also cut holes and ran the conduit through the spinal column along with the other pipes. Next jobs are trial fit the complete LS7 and ZF-Q then drill holes for engine mounts and cut out the starter motor recess plate. When the engine is in place will also trial fit the headers to see if they interfere with the rear sway bar mounts (please God, let them be OK, spent hours making the mounts!:uneasy:)

More soon

John

Attachments

• SPEC pics 010.jpg
    SPEC pics 010.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 572
  • SPEC pics 011.jpg
    SPEC pics 011.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 628
John, et al.,

I am looking into the Kinsler X-ram for my LS-7 and today received an email from Kinsler that was somewhat discouraging. Basically, both Kinsler and Katech control the Kinsler intake with throttle angle as the primary control (Alpha N), OK for the track but not so good for the street. Changes in vacuum or load from accessories is not considered, etc. They do not use the Drive-by-wire ECU.

Since this is a "black art" for me, pehaps you could educate me on how you are controlling the Kinsler intake AND connecting to accessories/ dash instruments etc. What ECU?

It raises the same questions for any ITB setup on the LS7.

Thanks in advance for the "continuing education".

Chris Kouba

Supporter
'Ello all

Been hibernating during the cold bit but out in the garage now like a true harbinger of spring.

Some recent progress...

4. Cut out flow and return hole in the middle bulkhead and fuel filler hole and vent pipe hole prior to fitting the bag tanks. The fuel filler hole is slightly larger than it needs to be as I intend to inset the tank part way and then fit the rigid fuel senders through the hole before sliding (ready wired!) into final position. This was done because I didn't want to cut another large hole in the sponson immediately behind the scuttle weld point nor did I like the idea of significantly deforming the bags with a rigid sender in place when inserting them through the front cut out (which will be tight anyway)

Steps 3 and 4 are taking longer than I would have thought, especially cutting holes in the (very inaccessible) bulkhead, but almost there now and feeling rather pleased.

John

John,

Can I get you to expand on the hole making process and which senders you are using? Any special techniques you would recommend, or conversely discourage? I am getting to this stage and would like to learn from those who have traveled before me...

Also what senders are you using? The supplied ones?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

'Ello

Nearly there, IVA end June, off to the painters (Gulf Colours) next week. Engine start up on the tube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh7-CmAXK_E&feature=youtu.be

Sounds glorious, unfortunately not really captured by the camera. Lightweight flywheel/clutch makes the Kinsler Stack LS7 very responsive, fired up on the button first time (wheezy noises due to air in pumps). Also some pics. Will post more detail post IVA

Best

John

Attachments

• GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425) (1).jpg
    GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425) (1).jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 681
  • GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425) (2).jpg
    GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425) (2).jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 610
  • GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425) (3).jpg
    GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425) (3).jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 602
  • GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425) (4).jpg
    GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425) (4).jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 650
  • GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425).jpg
    GT40 uploads 13 04 12_5296 - Copy (640x425).jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 645

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
To follow up on this, the car has been sold due to Johns passing. You can read about the new owners (Walter) progress here.

Regards Brian

Back