Kar Kraft T-44

Does anyone out there know if the T-44 is still in production. I'm thinking ahead for a second GT40 MkII as a future build with an FE motor.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Jim,

The only semi-production that I know of is Lee Holman [email protected]. The last time I talked to him about the transaxles, he was going to build them 3 at a time and had 3 magnesium cases fresh from the foundry. He was looking for someone to machine the cases at the time. That was ~3 years ago. I have no clue what has transpired since then, but as I recall, they had a price tag of ~$30K or at least that was the price he gave me.

Shop Address: Holman Automotive Inc., 9119 Forsyth Park Drive, Charlotte, NC 28273 (He is no longer at the airport)

Mailing Address: Holman Automotive Inc., PO Box 669351, Charlotte, NC 28266

Phone (704)583-2888; Fax number (704)583-2890

But with Lee knowing just how well this transmission worked with the power levels of the first cars, why would he want to reproduce them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Ah, just what we need builders all need, an over priced `origional` transmission to fix!
Well, if nothing else it`s `keeping it real` /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Stuart,

You would have to know Lee. He is an absolute, complete, unequivocal, most dogmatic originalist there is. This is the guy who pays $1800 for a wiper motor out of a airliner because it is the one that was used. I guess this is why his price is set at $500K for one of his MkIIs. But, they are part for part, exact duplicates of the original; which original, I'm not sure ;-), but I am sure Lee could tell us.

Regards,
Lynn

Goran , on this forum , asked me for some of the drawings I have regarding the T44 box. You might send him a PM and see if he has gone any further. Mike Teske has a number of them , although I think they are going to be used in his cars and I am not sure if they are finished. Send me a PM and I will give you his number.
Stewart, this box is really quite bullet proof. Don't know how you can poo poo it. The early problems were from over building it. According to one of the people who built the box, a second seal was installed on the input shaft that sealed the shaft too well. This heated the input to the point of failure. The were trying to keep the oil in the transmission separate from the oil in the ring and pinion. Once that was reengineered there were no problems. The ring and pinion in my box have been in there for 3 years and still look new. Try that with a Hewland.

I suddenly don't think I have a need for a T-44. For $30K +/- I think I'll just build another complete Cobra. It looks like I'll be making or finding a bellhousing to adapt the Renault UN1 to an FE motor. If I beef up the input shaft, I'm sure I'll be O.K. Thanks for the input guys.

Jim

Someone on the Forum claimed to have gotten an FE
adapter from Kennedy...but forgot whether it was for the
the 930 or G50 trans. I hear the 930 can take a lot
of abuse, as can the G50.

MikeD

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Mike,

I seem to recall that also. If anyone was going to make one, it would be Kennedy!

I'd think LONG and HARD about using a Renault in front of an FE though Jim! Are you sure a heavier input shaft would do it? If you've done the home work and "pencil & paper" says it will work, then more power to you!

Lynn

I heard that Super Performance was tooling up to make there own transaxle for their MKII for high horsepower usage.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
40Bud,

That would be very cool! Especially if someone else was doing it. The ONLY thing I have against Superformance is summed up very well in their adverts "If you want a kit, buy a model!" They only have one product: a turn-key minus. Granted there are slight variations on that (as least I think there are), but their bottom line is: take what we sell you and be happy with it. In other words, the only way one of us would get our hands on one of those transaxles is if we buy a whole roller from them or find a car that someone has wrecked and cannibalize it. If I wanted a cookie cutter car, I'd buy a Corvette or a Porsche or, dare I say it, a GT (as if I had the $$).

Regards,
Lynn

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Stuart was thinking about the pre-ZF Colletti (?) transaxles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mark,
The Colotti was actualy an cleverly shaped box of novelty chocolates left by some Italian gentlemen as a present to Roy Lunn for all his `support` and well, you know how it is with any new venture, one man assumes another is in charge of `that bit` and before you know it an apprentice has fitted this box of chocolates to the prototype and the rest,as they say, is history /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Stuart,

Or, may as well have been, right? ;-)

Unfortunately, I posted pictures of one here that was for sale a year or so ago. So, the cats out of the bag here as most have seen the actual thing. But, then again, it could have been a cleverly disguised box of chocolates. After all, life is like a box of chocolates.

LOL,
Lynn

The FE motor I had in mind was actually a somewhat lower horsepower 390 bored .030 over for a clean up. I'm not looking to make 500+ hp. The car doesn't actually have to run like the originals. I just don't want to build a Mk II version with a small block in it. They say the Renault UN1's are good for around 400 hp. I know the Audi's have a really small input shaft and Hershel is running around 400 hp in his car. All seems to be holding up well for him. If I build a big block 390 to make around 400-425 hp and keep the torque curve a little light on the bottom with proper cam selection, then I think all should hold up well. It should at least look the part, and with 425 hp, I'm sure it will run plenty fast also.

Jim

Jim,
Putting an audi 016 box behind an FE block can probably be done, although I don't know who makes an adapter. Another issue may be the overall height of the motor/transaxle assembly. The FE is a very tall block and the Audi box requires a higher than stock engine location, as compared to an original GT40, because the axle output flages are located below the centerline of the input shaft of the transaxle. The Audi box is limited as to how low it can be mounted in the chassis so the resulting engine height may interfere with the body work. One last problem would be clutch size. The Audi box has limited space in the bell housing so you would be limited to about a 9" diameter clutch. It would require a racing style clutch with very heavy spring pressure on the pressure plate to survive the torque of a big block. A ZF box ran inverted "GT40" style with the output flanges located above the engine crank centerline would give you the lower mounting position for body work clearence but the ZF option runs about 10 grand. When the FE is lowered a dry sump lubrication system helps with ground clearence issues.

Howard Jones

Supporter
What was the gearbox that was used in the porche turbo? Wasn't it a 4 speed? Didn't that motor make more than 400hp?
It would be like the T44 with 4 gears kinda like the orginal MK2. This would be sorta like the real thing FE with a 4 speed.

I would be guessing but I bet that 4 speed box isn't any more expensive that the g50's we all like.

Anyway thats my 2cs

That Porsche Turbo tranny is the 930 4 speed. Stronger than the G50s. Used until 1988. Replaced by the G50/50 for 1989, and then by the G50/52 from 1990 til 93ish.

I think that somewhere our lines got crossed. I never inteded to use the Audi behind the 390. I was talking about the Renault UN1 with the upgraded input shaft. It's supposed to be good for over 400 hp. Surely a lightly build 390 won't hurt it. Just don't know about the height of the motor now. I'll start checking input shaft centerlines on my UN1 when it gets here and work it over to the 390 and then figure in engine height.

Jim

Howard Jones

Supporter
Please let me know if you come up with a sorce for upgrading R21 renaults here in USA. I would be interested in doing mine maybe even buying another grarbox complete.

Back