Ken's SLC build thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I put a slot in the fiberglass next to the wiper motor for a tow hook. It will bolt to the top of the tub. I used DOM tubing to brace the nose area to help eliminate excessive movement. The floor at the nose was upgraded with 3/16" thick aluminum.

The carbon fiber tubes were cut down to their final height (5") for the side mirrors.

Attachments

• 012_zps087a6142.jpg
    012_zps087a6142.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The SLC was mentioned in the Winnipeg Sun yesterday as one of the feature cars at the "World of Wheels" car show. They will be wrapping it live over the three days in early April. I chose pearl white with two grey stripes.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_zps976617c1.jpg
    IMG_0001_zps976617c1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
The SLC was mentioned in the Winnipeg Sun yesterday as one of the feature cars at the "World of Wheels" car show. They will be wrapping it live over the three days in early April. I chose pearl white with two grey stripes.

Wow...pretty frickin' cool Ken! :thumbsup:

Car is looking great too!

Looks great Ken. A lot of great features.

Is the window you added actually useful for driving in reverse or is it mainly to look at your engine in your rear view mirror?

Ken Roberts

Supporter

Is the window you added actually useful for driving in reverse or is it mainly to look at your engine in your rear view mirror?

As soon as I get the car back on the ground and the rear hood back on I'll update my build with how useful the window actually is. Should be in about 1 week.

Hmmmm... Maybe you should consider installing a "Jewelbox" window also, since you have one of the sweetest and most badass looking engine compartments in an SLC so far. If it were me, I'd sure want to take a look at it from time to time. Just sayin'. :)

I wonder how much engine noise you let into the cockpit with that window though?

Beautiful build Ken. Great work!

Given the firewall has a 1/4'' gap around it to prevent body fitment interference, I'm thinking that's a moot point :laugh:

Hmmmm.... Wow. Is there not a bulb-seal or anything to close the gap between the interior and the engine compartment? If not, then you're absoluteley right! There's no real sense in getting all worked up over sound deadeners or heat barriers.

Hmmmm.... Wow. Is there not a bulb-seal or anything to close the gap between the interior and the engine compartment? If not, then you're absoluteley right! There's no real sense in getting all worked up over sound deadeners or heat barriers.

Anyone planning to seal the car would use bulb seal, or a similar approach.

Or, just use the available fiberglass pieces from Superlite that have been available for some time....

Anyone planning to seal the car would use bulb seal, or a similar approach.

Or, just use the available fiberglass pieces from Superlite that have been available for some time....

That makes more sense. I was having a hard time imagining that a car that is so well designed and engineered would have let that one thing fall through the cracks...

Thanks.

Michael

Hmmmm... Maybe you should consider installing a "Jewelbox" window also, since you have one of the sweetest and most badass looking engine compartments in an SLC so far. If it were me, I'd sure want to take a look at it from time to time. Just sayin'. :)

I wonder how much engine noise you let into the cockpit with that window though?

Beautiful build Ken. Great work!

Thanks MB. I have a ton of stuff mounted where that window would be though. Besides, my aim is for silence. I'll have double MLV & foam on my firewall.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here are a couple of pictures from the car show. The car wasn't wrapped after all but painted Cadillac pearl white. It won the "Master Builder "award.

Attachments

• 001-5_zps9a87f184.jpg
    001-5_zps9a87f184.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 279
  • 003-4_zps76517c58.jpg
    003-4_zps76517c58.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 007-3_zps49f30a20.jpg
    007-3_zps49f30a20.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
For unknown reasons the outfit that was gonna wrap it changed their mind as the sheets are only 60 inches wide and the kind of stripes I wanted wouldn't have been able to hide the seam/joint.

I wanted Lamborghini "balloon white" as the fall back paint choice but the cost of the paint was out of my league so the Cadillac pearl white was the next choice. The pictures really don't do it justice.

We were then going to add silver stripes but everyone said "don't you dare" as it looked soooo good as is.

Back