Ken's SLC build thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a picture of the modified C6 Corvette K&N filter assembly installed with the hood down. It does fit but just barely.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I plan to put the exhaust straight out the back but heres the first problem. Can I cut the weight off the Ricardo horizontal shift arm to gain clearance for the muffler? I assume it's just there to give a more solid/smooth shift feel.

UPDATE- the weight was relocated in board on the shaft to give clearance for the right side muffler.

Attachments

• 001_zps19423ad2.jpg
    001_zps19423ad2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 466
  • 004_zpsc38d6a15.jpg
    004_zpsc38d6a15.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 465
  • 004-2.jpg
    004-2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a mock up of the steering wheel, NRG quick connect and Pfadt hub.

The black and yellow wires are for the horn. This style of quick connect (NRG) has two pins that allow the horn button to function in the center of the wheel.

UPDATE-the Paft hubs are no longer available. Mine was removed later on and replaced with the new NRG hub that came out for the C6 Corvette/XLR columns.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ken,

how much longer, if any is this adapter/release than the stock bolt on wheel or the one that we provide.?

I have a few customers that are looking to use OEM style steering wheels with a horn.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The NRG quick release and Pfadt adapter combined is about 5" long (2 1/2" for the NRG and 2 1/2" for the Pfadt adapter). Your quick release is 4 1/8" (assuming you mount it in as far as it can be welded to the stub shaft). My Sparco wheel doesn't have much of a dish. Your Grant GT wheel has more of a dish. In the end they are even in total distance from wheel to steering column.

The NRG quick release is available in a shorter version as well.Thin Version | NRG Innovations

Mine is model 2.5

Ken Wow nice shop, fireplace, TV, carpeted floors :) reminds me of when I built my first custom Harley. A little tip just don't paint it in kitchen, I can still see the metalic flake in the curtains eight years later, LOL. I gave up trying to find a steering wheel that will meet my needs. I found a good used F1 steering wheel but the buy it now was $38000.00 I thought it was someone joking around until I found the new ones were $50000.00 I crapped my pants. So I decided to make my own. I am just waiting for the momentary push buttons. I have a question for you I am hoping you can answer, how many amps does it take to activate a 12V relay? everyone I've talk had no idea and I can't find anything on the net.
Thanks
Grant

Nice find, I would think everyone with a street build would want a horn button in the middle of the wheel option. Will it work with the RCR wheel spline or will I need to cut off the original welded on RCR quick release spline to make it work?

Thanks
Rob

PS Come to think of it I don't have the black housing (shown in your pictures) encasing the white "trip" ring as the outer most assembly on the steering shaft.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Mesa the outer most assembly (black plastic thing) on the steering shaft is known as the "clock spring". It is required for any electrical features used on the steering wheel.

The RCR supplied quick release does not have the ability to provide electrical connections. Hopefully if you do cut off the welded on portion of the RCR quick release the factory splines and nut threads are still intact. All the newer cars came without this RCR spline welded on.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Grant ....making your own steering wheel....wow!

A 12volt relay would only require milliamps to activate (less than 1 amp).

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ken...

we do not weld the QR spline on any cars any longer....but we do supply the threaded spigot and the quick release unit...

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Spotted that and made my own correction...as we "used to" weld the spigot...doh...coffee free environment...solved that one too...

I have to stop frequenting this site.... I now have a laundry list of additional stuff I'd like to get! :thumbsup:

The NRG quick release and Pfadt adapter combined is about 5" long (2 1/2" for the NRG and 2 1/2" for the Pfadt adapter).......

Thanks for the explanation Ken. I had always wondered when reading other people reference such things what relayed the electrical to the steering wheel. My car did not come with this black plastic ''clock ring". Had no idea something was missing until your post. Since I am already too far down the road to make this conversion I will have to figure some other way.

Nice bit of info for the rest of us, regardless :)

I'm a little in the dark here so forgive my uneducated question. . .

It most other car use cases, the NRG adapter connects directly to the spline, no? Why is that not the case on the column we get from RCR? Several of the GTM guys have used these adapters and although its probably from a C5, they're using a corvette column. I too would like the horn on the wheel.

If you guys want to use the horn on the wheel why not use the supplied steering wheel? The ones Fran sent me had that.

If you guys want to use the horn on the wheel why not use the supplied steering wheel? The ones Fran sent me had that.

Comes with the button, yes. But making that work with a QR is the issue, unless you want to disconnect/reconnect a wire every time you disconnect/connect the wheel. The NRG adapter takes care of that for you.

If the adapter setup gets expensive (around $300 as Ken has it) or too long maybe the coiled phone-type cord with a simple plug is an option. Kinda racy, or kinda dorky, depending on what mood I'm in :)

True Jack, but then in an emergency you have to remember where the hell you mounted it! By then it can be tooooo late, hence the wheel mounted horn button we all know and love .... uhhh .....can find.

BTW: SEMA - It seems the current rage for the "way-too-high-for-anyone-to-get-into" pick up truck crowd is......Ocean Container Ship sounding air horns, my god that was annoying! If I never hear another ship/truck blasting it's air/fog horn it will be just fine with me....

Last edited:
Back