Ken's SLC build thread

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Yos are you saying I can simply use a ipod for my music and a interface/preamp module and then to my outboard amp? Can you give me a link to such an interface? :idea:

I'm just using a graphic equalizer: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746-Graphic-Equalizer-Crossover/dp/B000EZV3T8[/ame]

Connect the graphic equalizer to the amp and plug your phone into the graphic equalizer. Or even better, use a Bluetooth dongle connected to the equalizer and connect the phone/ipod via Bluetooth: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJFGE3W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#]Amazon.com: iClever Himbox HB01 Bluetooth 4.0 Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with 3.5 mm Aux Input Jack (Convenient Siri / Voice Activation, Dual USB Car Charger and Magnetic Base Included) - Silver: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]#

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'm just using a graphic equalizer: http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746-Graphic-Equalizer-Crossover/dp/B000EZV3T8

Connect the graphic equalizer to the amp and plug your phone into the graphic equalizer. Or even better, use a Bluetooth dongle connected to the equalizer and connect the phone/ipod via Bluetooth: Amazon.com: iClever Himbox HB01 Bluetooth 4.0 Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with 3.5 mm Aux Input Jack (Convenient Siri / Voice Activation, Dual USB Car Charger and Magnetic Base Included) - Silver: Cell Phones & Accessories#

To connect my Ipod to the graphic equalizer I would be using the headphone jack on the Ipod? I would buy a head phone jack to dual RCA plug adapter?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Just noticed a fellow member on CorvetteForum is selling a Racelogic traction control system with digital adjuster for $1300.

PM me for the link if anybody is interested.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
This weekend I made a footrest for the passenger. It bolts to the floor from underneath.

Attachments

• 001_zpse8591de4.jpg
    001_zpse8591de4.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 013_zpse38a9077.jpg
    013_zpse38a9077.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 017_zps606b04fa.jpg
    017_zps606b04fa.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Race cars with radios in them? Next thing will probably be air conditioning.

No air or tunes in a F 1 car. I don't think I could make mine quiet enough to listen to music.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The goal in my build Garry was to reach the limit as to what would be acceptable (and legal) on the streets. So it's more of a street driven car with occasional track use. I also built the car with a future sale in mind. It's always easier to remove equipment then add it in later.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I have a muffler on my rotary, but I just dont think I could ever get mine quiet enough to hear anything, its great if the wifes in the car, cant hear her bitch, but talking to any friends who ride it there, you have to speak up. I plan on taking the body off this winter and insulate it better, and have interior made, so hopefully that will quite it down.

Your build looks great, there is a lot more in the LS motors then I imagined that goes into building one. Dont look like much room left in there around the motor area.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I have been playing around with different crimping and soldering techniques for the main power and ground cable lugs. I just wasn't happy with the soldering methods. I bit the bullet and bought a professional style crimper that swags the lug on. It takes a bit of practise to perfect the technique. I purchased a few extra lugs to practise with.

Attachments

• 001_zpsf50dc378.jpg
    001_zpsf50dc378.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 006_zpse22caa4e.jpg
    006_zpse22caa4e.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
In the third picture of the last post you can see how I ran the power and ground cables to the front. I used a 3/4" plastic electrical conduit with two 45 and one 90 degree elbows. I than covered the conduit in heat tape.

Attachments

• 008_zps390982a6.jpg
    008_zps390982a6.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 007_zps8ef825c9.jpg
    007_zps8ef825c9.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 002_zpsdfwbexjn.jpg
    002_zpsdfwbexjn.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The windshield washer tank mystery was finally solved after mocking up the passenger footrest. I decided to mount the tank/pump to the back of the footrest. The first picture shows me pointing to the fill tank. The second picture shows the hose path into the foot well. The third picture is the main tank bolted to the back of the footrest. In total it should hold at least 4 liters of fluid. Servicing/replacing the pump will be fairly easy. Just unbolt the footrest from underneath the car (fourth picture) and slide the assembly out.

Attachments

• 010_zps70adb804.jpg
    010_zps70adb804.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 014_zps03fed379.jpg
    014_zps03fed379.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 017_zps606b04fa.jpg
    017_zps606b04fa.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Hey Ken, what is the advantage to running ground cables rather than letting the chassis be common ground? Nice crimper by the way!

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Hey Ken, what is the advantage to running ground cables rather than letting the chassis be common ground? Nice crimper by the way!

I didn't want any galvanic corrosion interfering with the connections. It's more expensive. heavier and time consuming though.

I purchased the crimper used from ebay. Still cost almost $200....yikes

Back