Ken's SLC build thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I made a robust drain for both cars a/c systems. The passengers feet are in the same area so I felt the need to keep it tucked up tight. I have a foot rest and washer bottle mounted near by so it was important to mount the drain out of the way. I used some 1/2" aluminum tubing from McMaster Carr, oetiker clamps and epdm rubber hose. The tubing is held in the floor with a silicon grommet.

EPDM hose 9776T18
Aluminum tubing 9929T17
Silicone grommet 1061T39
Oetiker clamps 52545K73

IMG_2875.JPG
IMG_2877.JPG

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Final process of mounting the big 12" Spal fans. You can see that the fan shroud over laps both tanks in order to use 12" fans. The shroud was angled down so that a bigger shroud box could fit and still provide hood clearance. Next up is to fabricate the air deflector to help direct the air up instead of on the foot box. I'm using a rubber bulb weather stripping seal to keep the shroud away from the radiator and still provide a good seal. The goal is to mount the fan shroud independent of the rad like most OEM installs. The radiator will most definitely have a longer life this way.

IMG_2944.JPG

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ken, my standard radiator has less than a 100 hours on it, has no leaks or other damage, and I am willing to sell it as it excess to my needs. I did move the inlet from the bottom to the top of the drivers side in an attempt to improve efficiency (it worked marginally. Aprox 3-5 degrees F reduction). It would be easy to move it back if you wanted to. I'll get out to the garage and take some pictures for you.

As far a price goes, I am thinking about 1/2 of the cost of a new one or there about? Could you find out what a new one costs from RCR if you don't know already. You pay shipping and I will do shipping prep to your address. I will need address so I can get quote from UPS ground.

Howard Jones

Supporter
here are pics

Attachments

• HPIM2482.JPG
    HPIM2482.JPG
    921.5 KB · Views: 380
  • HPIM2483.JPG
    HPIM2483.JPG
    934.5 KB · Views: 374
  • HPIM2484.JPG
    HPIM2484.JPG
    885.5 KB · Views: 342
  • HPIM2485.JPG
    HPIM2485.JPG
    878 KB · Views: 345
  • HPIM2486.JPG
    HPIM2486.JPG
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 398

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I finished building the fan shroud assembly for the GT-R. It follows the same design goal as the SLC. The 15.2" Spal brushless fans couldn't have been a better fit.

These fans are also available in the same size with a brush motor. The Spal part number is #30102082. A great alternative if you want to maximize your cooling but not want the added complexity of a PWM controller.

59261547047__D0020294-160D-40D2-8FB7-389CE6184681.JPG

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
V12 LS engine going in the new front engine car from Factory Five at this years SEMA. (rumour has it that it might not make SEMA this year)

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
fbclid=IwAR3pTc2ScNlsOdJmAjWYdvd7iKrr0EgoBd7nQJeiueWeGebb2rDJNKwynek[/URL]

The 'turn key' 700+ h.p. V12 LS runs about $55,200.00 USD...the optional 1,000 h.p. unit adds another $5,000 to that.

A COMPLETE Chevy 572 (carb and all) runs about $16K and puts out approx 620(?) h.p. right out of the crate. Me thinks (in fact I KNOW) one could easily modify a 572 to equal or BETTER the 1,000 h.p. output of the optional V12 LS, and do it for faaaaaaaaaar less than the additional $44K needed to buy said V12. In addition, a 572 is physically smaller and weighs far less than the V12 LS...not to mention replacement parts of all kinds for a 572 will NOT cost an arm and a leg.

Choose one. ;-)

JMPO OMV

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'm using the stock Dakota tail lights so I thought I'd reinforce the two plastic horizontal mounting points on each light. I found that a .500"(od) by .035" wall aluminum tubing fit snugly over the stand off. I then further reinforced them by installing oetikar clamps. (13.3). Overkill I know but I already had a bunch of these clamps.

Attachments

• IMG_2978.JPG
    IMG_2978.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 472

Neil

Supporter
V12 LS engine going in the new front engine car from Factory Five at this years SEMA. (rumour has it that it might not make SEMA this year)

Ryan Falconer has been selling his "Chevy" V12 engine for many years. Chevrolet installed one in its C6 engineering prototype mule to test the chassis.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Raceseng has a 20% discount plus free shipping in the USA on their shift knobs currently if anyone is interested. I have one for my Ricardo shifter and one for the Grazianno shifter.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Decided to add a sight glass to my overflow/recovery tank.

The elbows

The tube

The weld bungs

IMG_3042.JPG

Last edited:
Back