Le Mans Classic 2008 11-12-13th July 2008

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
I reckon there will be a lot of stories to tell, so far 113 members and 40 cars attending!

Roy,

Will you be contacting everyone soon to confirm the bookings?

Also, will a list of everyone going's details (crossings/contact details etc) be produced again?

Cheers,

Max

Roy,
Finally got round to posting here !
Greatly looking forward to LMC08 - you should have all my info by now.
I'll be travelling from Poole to Cherbourg on 10th July so hopeful of meeting up on the drive down with other members en-route perhaps. The intention is to get to LeMans mid to late afternoon.
Hopefully the weather will be a bit kinder this year - last time it hammered down about half way which made life interesting :D
Keep up the good work.
John

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I'll be travelling from Poole to Cherbourg on 10th July so hopeful of meeting up on the drive

John,

I was planning to go on the 9th on the fast-cat, but could switch to 10th. Would you be going on the fast-cat (7am) crossing?

Cheers,

Max

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Roy,
my ferry crossing now booked, and I have posted my membership and classic le mans forms and remittance to you, so you should have them today or tommorrow.
Your PM box was full when I tried to PM you, but I appreciate that you will be receiving PM's faster than you can cope at the moment. Keep up the good work, we appreciate it.

I am going down on the Portsmouth - Caen crossing on the 10th with Ian Anderson, so 2 Dax40s in convoy. Anyone else using this ferry?

Oh, yes. I had a nightmare last night regarding getting out of my car once on the ferry. I drove on the ferry, there wasnt enough space to open the passenger door against the deck wall, and someone parked on the drivers side before I have a chance to get out!
It will be the first time for me so how does it work? Do they already know to make allowance for GT40 doors or what?

regards
Dave

Max,
Yes i'm on the fast-cat "Normandie Vitesse' so an early start from Birmingham for us to get the 7:30 crossing. LMC06 we got to Poole at between 5 and 6a.m apart from loads of other marques i didn't see another forty until arriving at Maison Blanche.
John

Hi John, Dave, have received your entries O.K.
Max, I have rather a lot of work with the organisation of the Club entries at the moment so won't have time to collate members travel and accommodation arrangements, not sure of the best way to acheive this either. If members wanted to post here with their arrangements then that might work, depends how much info they wish to disclose to the rest of the world!
regards
Roy

Max, I have rather a lot of work with the organisation of the Club entries at the moment so won't have time to collate members travel and accommodation arrangements, not sure of the best way to acheive this either. If members wanted to post here with their arrangements then that might work, depends how much info they wish to disclose to the rest of the world!
regards
Roy

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
regards
Roy

I would be very happy to oblige & collate this information & issue to others who are going (as well as yourself Roy).

So if anybody would like to be included on this list, please email me your information - either to my registered email address (via the forum), or to GT40Max-at-BTInternet.com (replacing the obvious), or even PM via forum.

Those who have been on the list/had the list before will know the format/info required, but for the others, ideal information includes:-
Name, club membership number, car registration, address (full or rough area), phone numbers(s) - home/mobile/numbers in France, email address(es), travel dates/times/route(s)/company, accommodation in France [If I have missed anything please let me know].

Anything else you wish to include such as forum name, anyone you are already planning to travel or stay with etc could also be useful. Only submit information you are willing to share with others, though the list will only be circulated to other club memmbers who are going.

Regards,

Max

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Max,
Yes i'm on the fast-cat "Normandie Vitesse' so an early start from Birmingham for us to get the 7:30 crossing. LMC06 we got to Poole at between 5 and 6a.m apart from loads of other marques i didn't see another forty until arriving at Maison Blanche.
John
John,

I'll consider revising my plans after discussing with my Brother (my passenger), and also seeing if anyone else is using this route.

LMC06 - I used the same route, but might have been the day before again as I also travelled out on the Wednesday last time. Similar experience, loads of other marques, but no 40's until Maison Blanche.

LMC04 - went same route but in 'convoy' with Roy, Ian & Dave Champ - all of whom have now sold their cars!

Cheers,

Max

As far as the route from Cherbourg to LeMans is concerned an earlier post suggested a deviation to Mayenne fisrst to pick up some more interesting roads - may consider that if its not hundreds of miles out of the way ?
As usual my trusty 'Jane' will be doing the navigating for us. The intention is to arrive at the ferry with half-full tanks (in case of parking on a ramp) and fill up soon after arrival in France - if my credit card is accepted this year that is ! Did anyone else have a similar problem ?
John
p.s. is there a noise limit for the parade laps ?

Hi John,
I have not been made aware of any noise limit on the parade laps but would advise to rn your road silencer system just to be sure
regards
Roy

Roy,

Oh, yes. I had a nightmare last night regarding getting out of my car once on the ferry. I drove on the ferry, there wasnt enough space to open the passenger door against the deck wall, and someone parked on the drivers side before I have a chance to get out!
It will be the first time for me so how does it work? Do they already know to make allowance for GT40 doors or what?

regards
Dave

Dave,
Ask to park on the lorry deck (the bottom one) so there are no sharp changes in ramp angle getting to it.
Then, when you are parking up, ask to go next to an artic trailer. You can get out between the wheels. Most ferry marshallers are car enthusiasts; they take great care to stop your nose from scraping and pay attention to door requirements.
Have fun! We are crossing from Dover to Boulogne at 1045 on 10 July and are planning to avoid Rouen by crossing the Seine on the Pont de Bretonne.
Tony

Just drive aboard with the door open! That will guarantee you the requisite clearance. :)

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Tony, thanks for the good info, we cross at 0845 to Caen so probably wont see you on the way down, have a good journey.

Mike, Brilliant in its simplicity, just have to watch I dont knock any marshallers over:D

regards
Dave

Also booked on the 0845 Portsmouth to Caen on the 10th. Just hope the car is ready by then! SVA is getting close but all the work necessary to prep the body sections for painting still to be done post SVA.

Chris

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
DaveC and Chris,
that makes 4 on the 0845 so far including myself and Ian Anderson.
Chris, good luck in getting the car thru SVA and ready in time, be pleased to meet you anyway.

regards
Dave

Back