Le Mans Classic 2008 11-12-13th July 2008

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
DaveC and Chris,
that makes 4 on the 0845 so far including myself and Ian Anderson.
Are you (4) guys happy for me to add your details to the list I am collating? I know Tony Hunt sent out an email, but I have not had many emails as a result of this yet. Maybe with the forum being as popular as it is nowadays, what I am doing is not really necessary anymore?

Note, this is separate to what Roy is doing - he is the one doing all the official organisation/bookings etc, I am just collating a list of people's travel dates/route etc as a piece of information for anyone going who might find it useful.

Cheers,

Max

Dave Collins

Supporter
Hi Max,

I will send you an email with all my details later on. I am in the same "boat" as Chris in that I am also dependant on car getting through SVA, Registration.

If that fails for some reason I will have to take the RX-8 and pretend there is a 787B to cheer on instead!!

Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Max,
yes please put me on the list, do you need more info?

On the subject of accomodation, which direction is best to come from to enter each day and get to our enclosure.
I am currently looking at B&B s as well as hotels, most hotels are fully booked but there are plenty B&B's to be had in the surrounding areas. Any other ideas?

regards
Dave

Hi Dave

I am having considerable trouble finding accommodation in the Le Mans area after my original hotel reservation that had been confirmed on-line fell through several days later. Which B and B's have accommodation available to your knowledge - I require 2 double rooms for 4 people? And off road parking for the GT40.

Any help from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Hi Max
We are going out via Plymouth/Roscoff on tuesday night crossing, the 40 is only just started its build, so am taking the cobra, hope to meet up with you all over there, we are camping at maison blanche, good luck with your list, Andy ;)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Roy,
I can't make it. It's just been confirmed - I will be in Zandvoort instead.
Such is life. Or at least mine is.:mad:
Dave

Question for you all: I know that a herd of GT40s circulates the track on the Saturday prior to the race, doing one or more exhibition laps.

The Pantera club has been offered the same opportunity, at a cost of some 110 Euros or so. My question is, is there value for money there? Are the drivers afforded the opportunity to give the cars a little bit of stick, or is it just a 40 mph drone?

If I coughed up 110 Euros for the chance to drive a Pantera around the circuit, would I feel that I got value for money afterwards, or would I want to find the bloke that took my money, and strangle him?

Thanks in advance for words of wisdom based upon personal experience (as opposed to conjecture--I've got plenty of that already!)

Brian Magee

Supporter
Mike
I have done this three times before. There are all sorts of cars on the circuit at once from MG TA's to Ferrari Enzo's. There is no pace car and you drive at your own speed hence there is a big speed differential out there. You have to respect the cars around you and it is difficult to go through the corners at racing speed and on the correct line. You will be going a lot more than 40 mph and it is the only opportunity to drive the full circuit without entering the race. As for value for money it is an expensive two laps but I guarantee you will come in with a grin from ear to ear. Go for it.

Brian

Dave,
sorry to hear you can't make it, 2010 and no excuses!-in the car also.

Mike
the 'parade' laps normally proceed at quite a healthy pace and are well worth participating in, although just the chance to drive such a famous circuit is not to be missed. and to see over 40 40's will be something else, still it is important to remember to drive sensibly as there will be a lot of other cars also.

Question for you all: I know that a herd of GT40s circulates the track on the Saturday prior to the race, doing one or more exhibition laps.

The Pantera club has been offered the same opportunity, at a cost of some 110 Euros or so. My question is, is there value for money there? Are the drivers afforded the opportunity to give the cars a little bit of stick, or is it just a 40 mph drone?

If I coughed up 110 Euros for the chance to drive a Pantera around the circuit, would I feel that I got value for money afterwards, or would I want to find the bloke that took my money, and strangle him?

If you consider it in purely track mileage terms, it definitely isn't value for money. If you consider it as an opportunity to drive round a legendary track which you would never otherwise have the opportunity to do it is definitely worth the money, especially if you are into the unique ethos which is Le Mans. I have driven down the Mulsanne straight, which is a public road, on the way to a family holiday in Spain many years ago, but I am looking forward to driving the full circuit in my own GT40, albeit not a real one (better in some ways than the original, ie more comfortable I hope, and more powerful than early Mk 1's but not up to the Gulf examples).

Hope to meet you there.

Chris

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
So far I have received 12 emails with travel/accommodation details, which I have now collated into a list & sent out to the people who emailed me.

I also took details for 2 people (Dave Bilyk & Andy Loveday) from your posts on the forum, but have no email adresses to send you the list - if you are interested then please let me know your email address.

I know there are plenty more people who are going, so if you want to be included on the list/distribution, or are going and would like to see who else is going/when etc, then please email me as well (I will only email it to club members who are going).

It is my plan to update the list fairly regularly as I receive more details/people to add etc.

Cheers,

Max

MWGT40

Supporter
Hi Mike

Here is video footage taken of the 2006 Le Mans Classic laps - this will give you a birds eye view of what to expect (it was taken from in my GTD40):

YouTube - GT40 at Le Mans Classic

As you will see, you can go fast if you want!

This other clip was of the laps we did behind the GT40s that won Le Mans in 1966. Only GT40s were on the circuit at the time, just before the main race started. It was to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the first GT40 win (the footage was again taken from inside my GT40)

YouTube - 2006 Le Mans Classic

Cheers, Martin

Martin,

Thank you for posting the video clips!!!!!!!

Being able to drive your GT40 in such an event must be just greater than sh*t. It would be way cool to be able to drive the LeMans Circuit. I wish I had a GT40, and was able to ship it there, hook up with other forum members, and be able to drive on the track. I got goose bumps watching the clip.

Great job, and thanks again!!!!:pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:Wow!!!rockonsmile

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nice videos Martin.

Especially like the bit in the first one where they are pulling our officious French friend in his Jag out of the gravel just before the Dunlop bridge! I was a few cars back behind you on both runs - actually basically bringing up the rear, still had a fantastic time though.

Cheers,

Max

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
It is my plan to update the list fairly regularly as I receive more details/people to add etc.

Actually updated & sent it out again last night.

Anyone going & still wanting to know what others are up to/share your info, get on & email me.

Cheers,

Max

Back