LED headlamps

The headlamps I am using take a P45T bulb, and I have a pair of hi-power halogen bulbs, but I was wondering if anyone on the forum has tried LED replacements, and what their impression/experience was.
I have a couple of Stinger flashlights with the LED conversion and they are seriously bright with really good battery life so the next obvious idea was to search for a replacement for the headlamps on my car.
They are available, not too pricey, but it seems they are not as powerful as I imagined even using the "Equivalent" charts.
The wattage on the LED bulbs seems to run about 20% of a tungsten lamp, and the measure I am seeing used for brightness mostly is lumens, but one or two vendors used temperature in Kelvin but I suspect this is the color of the light emitted.
The most powerful lamp I can find Fits a BMW, and it seems that the limiting factor is not bulb heat, but heat behind the lamp caused by the junction....some even talked of a fan to cool the base.
Any experience on this out there?
Cheers
Phil

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Good question, Phil. I've never been impressed with the headlamps in my SPF car. It's something I'd like to find an upgrade option for.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
some in the UK have had good success with HID bulbs

Not legal as afterfit in some countries so check first

Ian

Including the UK without a self levelling system I believe...

and possibly head lamp washers too ?

Best check the small print !

I recall that headlamp washers (using Mazda jets) were added to the 101 Ford GT's for Europe & the UK. (the UK not being in Europe of course!)

Regards Steve

I don't think I will have much of an issue here in the states with legality of the lamps, my concern was with the suitability and performance, and having a poorly focused high intensity lamp is not my goal.
I am totally not interested in those "Halo" style lamps such as Audi has, but a direct bulb changeout from tungsten.
I found a few on EBAY and the base will definitely fit my lamps, I might even be tempted to make the plunge, test them out and report back.
I have used some very bright (130 watt) H4 lamps on a few cars and the good bulbs have a little focusing reflector inside the bulb that gives an intense light at ground level and a few feet up without blinding others...high beam is all out and I needed a relay for those because of the current draw. Never had a problem blinding oncoming traffic.
The reason I posted was that upon examination of the direct replacements there didn't look to be any provision for a good focus, and the lamp seemed to be studded with LED's to get the wattage without concern for aiming.

Ian..I looked at the HID and that might be an option..I believe they require a ballast..lots of guys using them here on motorcycles.

Dave: Do you know whats inside your lamps? I realize it is a bit of a hassle to get to the bulb.
Cheers
Phil

I have an early set of Chinese HIDs on my GTD, bought through this forum.
The only challenge was finding suitable places to mount the chokes inside the headlamp bay. The bulbs were a direct replacement for my H1 bulbs, requiring an adapter to fit the H4 headlamps. The loom was simplicity itself, going just in front of the nostril, in the raised lip just ahead of it. The system required unfused, unswitched 12V+ (from the rad fan relay), a hard earth and connected to one of the plugs that had been on the back of the headlamp. The system contained its own relays (essential as very high initial voltage and current surges are necessary to strike the arcs), so the old wiring was used only for switching relay currents.
The lights are nothing short of fantastic. The high beam is pretty general, lighting well on both sides, but the dipped beam is well-focused and only rarely causes oncoming vehicles to flash me (about the same amount as I flash over-bright modern lights!).
On the legality side, an amendment to Annex II to VOSA Directive 2009/40/EC, aimed at harmonising EU vehicle testing states:“It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps, that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension, do not require a self-leveling system. Where headlamp leveling or cleaning devices are missing, and there is doubt as to whether they are required, the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued.”
This could have been written with GT40s in mind!

would like to agree with tony got mine from hid4u on internet and really simple fit plugging into old head lamp connector and ballast resistor mounting in light well. they are in old vauxhall viva head lamps and the difference from the original bulb to halogen was good but the hid is phenomenal

Tony and Huw thanks for the input, I may just go the HID route now after researching and input from you gents.
Tony when you say Chokes do you mean an electrical choke such as a coil to block AC current?
Cheers
Phil

Tony and Huw thanks for the input, I may just go the HID route now after researching and input from you gents.
Tony when you say Chokes do you mean an electrical choke such as a coil to block AC current?
Cheers
Phil

Have had HID from HID City in UK for a few years now.
Huge improvement in visibility, huge improvement with lighting switch not getting hot( but that's another issue! :))
Easy to fit.
Have great MOT guy but even he , at recent MOT, made noises about washers :-(
Did not fail it this time but it may yet become an issue in future....

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Phil - I don't know what bulb I have. It's whatever was installed by Superformance when they built the car.

Phil - I don't know what bulb I have. It's whatever was installed by Superformance when they built the car.
Dave the original SPF bulbs are H4 45/40. Pretty anemic. I replaced them with H4 60/55. Also refocused pattern. Previously I couldn't even use brights because of misfocus.

Keith

Hmm, well I driven both types - Mercedes and my own 'ordinary' headlights. I always find the cold 'blue' white less illuminating somehow. Oh, they're bright enough but I also find a top drawer halogen with a slightly yellower and therefore 'warmer' aspect better for me at night. May be it's a personal thing re: eyes.

I did like the 'instant strike' of the HID's though

Back