Gearlever1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 891
  • Gearlever2.jpg
    Gearlever2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 944
  • Gearlever3.jpg
    Gearlever3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 915
Not much work on the chassis recently...BUT in the meantime the injection system has arrived.
A BBC Kinsler/Lucas injection with Cosworth mechanical fuel pump. All I´m still needing to complete the injection set up is the Lucas unit setting the system under presssure for starting.

Hope the engine - once complete -will kick me the real deal one day...

Attachments

• Kinsler_Lucas_injection1.jpg
    Kinsler_Lucas_injection1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Kinsler_Lucas_injection2.jpg
    Kinsler_Lucas_injection2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 912
An Update:
Now with all the chassis panels being fabricated, it´s time to get to a really "hot" issue:
Panel bending.
Before bending the bigger panels (inner sidepods and doublers) with their correct bending sequence and the right direction (90 deg. to direction of rolling) we fabricated some 2024 T3 probes, 1,5 millimeters thick, for testing beforehand. What a pain in the a..

By using a hydraulic sheet metal bending machine we made several attempts using a torch, sheet inlays, bending speeds and angles in order to find the right approach towards bending that stuff. So some time and an impressive number of cracked probes later we think we found a passable way for avoiding cracks along the bend line:
Given that you have to bend the above panels to an angle of 90 deg. and the bending radius can be at least 3 times that of the panel´s thickness, a good way of avoiding stress on the material is to bend in two steps of 45 deg. each along slightly displaced bend lines. For example if you have to bend 90 deg. we had very good results by bending 1mm to the one side of the bend line to 45 deg. and bending another 45 deg. 1 mm to the other side of the bend line which totals to 90 deg. By adopting that, we didn´t even have to heat up the panels along the bend line which is very difficult doing it evenly, anyway. Sounds very simple and is perhaps an old trick, but at least it seems to work fine.

Any other opinions, ideas?

Best,
Marcus

Thanks Scott, interesting read.

Here are some more pics of the finished chassis panels, some of which are waiting to get bent:

Attachments

• sidepods_finished.jpg
    sidepods_finished.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 865
  • various_panels_finished.jpg
    various_panels_finished.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 894
Along the way with the chassis build I´m trying to get all the parts which are not that easy to find. So it seems a good idea to seize the opportunity whenever something comes up. Latest is the Chevy-Hewland LG cast adaptor:

Attachments

• adaptor_1.jpg
    adaptor_1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 569
  • adaptor_2.jpg
    adaptor_2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 593
  • adaptor_3.jpg
    adaptor_3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 527
  • adaptor_4.jpg
    adaptor_4.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 586
  • adaptor_5.jpg
    adaptor_5.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 577
Assembly is now hopefully due shortly. Already at this stage it becomes clear that some panels need reworking to make them all fit together smoothly...oh dear:

Attachments

• Mock_Up1.jpg
    Mock_Up1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,189
  • Mock_Up2.jpg
    Mock_Up2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,166
Last edited:
Thank you Tom. You´ve got sharp eyes.
You´re witnessing the traces of the rivalry between me and my wife for storage space.
Soon I´ll move to proper workshop premises.

Best,
Marcus

Very slow progress over the last couple of months due do work commitments and the build of a new workshop.

However, got a set of clutch and brake pedals fabricated to original spec by Hugh Absolom, Wokingham UK, of Diamond Racing fame who also organised whatever else was needed such as plating and then sending the finished pedals to Germany. They came out beautifully. You can get Hugh under +44 1189737973 or [email protected]

Needless to say they also passed my neighbour´s quality control check (see above post #79) with ease...

Attachments

• pedals_1.jpg
    pedals_1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 713
  • pedals_2.jpg
    pedals_2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 697
  • pedals_3.jpg
    pedals_3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 739
  • pedals_4.jpg
    pedals_4.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 750
  • Werkstatt_2.jpg
    Werkstatt_2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:
That is amazing! I love the cad plate what detail. I find your work on this whole project to be tremendous and inspirational. I have dreamed of building a T-70 for years. I have always dismissed it due to money and material constraints. Your scratch build seems to have got a spark burning again. My concerns have always been the chassis and tracking down the body panels. I wanted to base mine on a ford power plant, having more experience and parts. I don't want to hijack the thread, but share my sense of awe at what you have done so far. Please, keep it up!

Walt, many thanks for your kind words.

Due to immense work at my job (60-70 hrs/week, call it hard work or ambition...I tend to call it self-exploitation) there´s only very slow progress.

However, my build table is not only finished but before setting up the jig (at last) minor riveting work on smaller panels is resuming.

Attachments

• Workshop_1.jpg
    Workshop_1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 772
  • Workshop_2.jpg
    Workshop_2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 871
  • Sidepanel_1.jpg
    Sidepanel_1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 816
Last edited:
BTW...believe it or not, but it´s been my wife Susanne having done the riveting work on the side panel. Took some shots of her while she finished the final rivet:

Attachments

• Susanne_1.jpg
    Susanne_1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,014
  • Susanne_2.jpg
    Susanne_2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 950
  • Susanne_3.jpg
    Susanne_3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,047
  • Susanne_4.jpg
    Susanne_4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,267

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice work Marcus and Susanne!!!

Wow - Lucky man! Pretty wife that likes to work with him in the shop! :thumbsup:

Back