LS376 questions?

Just picked up my LS376 and I am trying to get ready for my SL-C build. hopefully some experienced builders can help me out.
1. Is it best to use the GM performance starter, and do I use the flex plate on the motor or do I need to change.

2. what is the easiest way to get the motor ready for mid-engine set-up, is there an adapter for oil pressure and water pump or is it easier to have it fabricated?

3. In my build manual it says to block off heater inlets, my kit comes with A/C option, do I need to supply a heater core?

4. I understand I need a fuel pump capable of 45gph at 60psi, do I also need a fuel pump regulator or is it controlled by the ECM. If I do need one what kind of specs should I look for? Is there anything else related to the fuel system I should be researching?

Jay,

as I mentioned when you picked up the engine..If you dont want to remove/drill and tap your own valley cover call Katech , as they make a valley cover and an oil pressure mount...give Jason a call...they have them in stock.

Stock water pump with a modified neck...again as I mentioned you can have us modify it for you , or its DIY deal.

I recommend a Bosch 044 fuel pump as your main pump and a Walbro as a lift pump to your fuel surge/swirl pot...if you chose to run one...highly recommended.
The regulator I recommend is an Aeromotive # AEI-13109

You AC system has a heater core built in ..so you dont need to add another ...although I know its cold in Canada....and you dont need to block off your lines with the newer AC system

You cannot use the starter, flex plate or any other stock GM part ...you must have components matched to your transaxle..

Last edited:
Fran, thanks for your quick reply and constant support of your first time builders. probably one of the big reasons for RCR's success. cheers

4. I understand I need a fuel pump capable of 45gph at 60psi, do I also need a fuel pump regulator or is it controlled by the ECM. If I do need one what kind of specs should I look for? Is there anything else related to the fuel system I should be researching?

regulator isn't controlled by the ecm - there's a spring inside and by turning the screw on the outside of the unit it adjusts the pressure internally.

There are a lot of regulator choices - if you want the best I'd recommend buying stuff from Weldon Racing. Their a1100 pump is awesome (handles up to 1400hp, can be mounted vertically/horizontal/above/below the fuel tank) and fairly quiet. And cheap. Their supporting regulator is also great. I'm not much of a fan of Aeromotive stuff (other than their filters and AN o-ring fittings) since it seems everything I buy from them leaks or fails on me!

Basic fuel setup will go

tank -> 100micron pre-filter -> pump -> 10micron post filter -> fuel rails -> regulator -> return line back to tank.

I fed mine w/ -10 from the tank to the pump, then -8 to the fuel rails; -8 reutrn (try to match return and feed line sizes) ..... you could probably get away running -6, but i'd do -8.

The 044 is the same pump used by many OEM's and almost all Daytona prototypes and also my race car..I have also used the AER reg. on all my builds so far without issue...

The 044 is the same pump used by many OEM's and almost all Daytona prototypes and also my race car..I have also used the AER reg. on all my builds so far without issue...

I stopped liking Aeromotive after I went through 3 pumps that leaked about 3oz of fuel before stopping anytime temps were below 0*C and was told that that was a safety feature :O

Then there was my failed deadhead regulator....... just not a fan of Aeromotive. Weldon is generally seen as the best of the best for fuel delivery, so that's what I went with (plus it's pretty darn handy to be able to mount a fuel pump in any orientation - horizontal, vertical, above/below tank).....Magnaflow is also good for fuel delivery products as well.

Sorry Alex but I am pretty sure Bosch fuel pumps outweigh Weldon for quantity used and trouble free installation.....few million vs a few thousand..

Weldon are good but Bosch are available anywhere with out custom prices or oddball delivery issues...hows is that "custom" engine of yours coming by the way....(whistle!!!!)

hows is that "custom" engine of yours coming by the way....(whistle!!!!)

Let's just say it's a good thing I build reallllllllllllllly realllllllllllllllly slowly :lipsrsealed:

But it'll all be worth it when I can pull up to a big block and go 'Sooooooooooo, my small block has more cubes than your big block ... interesting :drunk: '

Basic fuel setup will go

tank -> 100micron pre-filter -> pump -> 10micron post filter -> fuel rails -> regulator -> return line back to tank.

I fed mine w/ -10 from the tank to the pump, then -8 to the fuel rails; -8 reutrn (try to match return and feed line sizes) ..... you could probably get away running -6, but i'd do -8.

Correctly stated:

tank -> pre filter -> pump -> post filter - > regulator -> fuel rails

The LS376 is a return-less system. The return line to tank is from the regulator. This isn't the custom monster motor Alex is building.

Correctly stated:

tank -> pre filter -> pump -> post filter - > regulator -> fuel rails

The LS376 is a return-less system. The return line to tank is from the regulator. This isn't the custom monster motor Alex is building.

I'm pretty sure the regulator goes after the fuel rails to return the fuel - otherwise you can run into pressure drop issues.

If you look at all the literature on various sites (Aeromotive, Weldon, etc...) they'd all agree with me as to the location of the regulator.......

Jay,
When you remove the fuel rails to flip you're intake, it will be quite obvious that they DO NOT return anywhere. BTW; you can also flip the fuel rails so the inlet from regulator is on drivers side.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'm pretty sure the regulator goes after the fuel rails to return the fuel - otherwise you can run into pressure drop issues.

If you look at all the literature on various sites (Aeromotive, Weldon, etc...) they'd all agree with me as to the location of the regulator.......

You are correct Alex in a "return style" fuel system. Wayne was describing how the fuel system is plummed in a "returnless" fuel system with the stock fuel rails on a LS376.

Your C5 Z06 Corvette fuel system is of this style (returnless). The regulator is housed in the fuel filter which is inline before the fuel rails. Late 2003, 2004 and newer C6 Corvettes took this one step farther and had the filter and separate regulator housed in the fuel pump module in the tank. They are not servicable individually and a new module must be installed.

Last edited:
so am I safe to assume this is how to layout the fuel system
fuel tank>filter>fuel pump>surge tank>high pressure pump>filter>motor
where is it recommended to vent from surge tank. Also does the thermostate outlet need to be modified?

Jay,
the surge tank overflow is routed back to the main fuel tank completing the loop....the vent/return should be of a smaller size tube to create a little back pressure in the surge tank to maintain its "full" status...

check out posts 305 -311 on Cam MacIssac's build log. I did a quick sketch of what we have been doing. I chose to put my swirl pot on a shelf for a while and chose to try a sump first. It holds 6/10 of a gallon with baffles,compared to the swirl pot holding 1.25gals. I think it will give me a good supply of fuel until I get real low. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 193
You are correct Alex in a "return style" fuel system. Wayne was describing how the fuel system is plummed in a "returnless" fuel system with the stock fuel rails on a LS376.

Your C5 Z06 Corvette fuel system is of this style (returnless). The regulator is housed in the fuel filter which is inline before the fuel rails. Late 2003, 2004 and newer C6 Corvettes took this one step farther and had the filter and separate regulator housed in the fuel pump module in the tank. They are not servicable individually and a new module must be installed.

Ah, I see my misunderstanding. Thanks for clearing that up - I kept forgetting about stock rails.

check out posts 305 -311 on Cam MacIssac's build log. I did a quick sketch of what we have been doing. I chose to put my swirl pot on a shelf for a while and chose to try a sump first. It holds 6/10 of a gallon with baffles,compared to the swirl pot holding 1.25gals. I think it will give me a good supply of fuel until I get real low. What do you guys think?

I think your idea of a sump is a terrific idea :D

Sumps unite :D

tank5.jpg

That swirl pot works like a champ. I've not hit a corner or hard brake starved for fuel. I think the bosch44 is a better fit for LS 3/7 engines than the aeromotive A1000. Unless you're planning on 1000hp, your recirculating/heating fuel for no reason.

Back