LSA SLC Build Log

Cross member coated and installed. Bolted right in so if at any time in the future (hope not) the pan can drop out with no issues.
*Proper length bolts to follow*:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 619
Bob,
I know that you probably know this, but with the engine crossmember bolts mounted the way they are, if the nut comes off the bolt will fall out. If there is room to reverse the bolts, I would do so.

My 2 cents.

Great job!

Ok... So how long have you been a pro builder? Your build really showcases some very nice skills. There are a few guys here on this forum that never cease to impress me with their out of the box thinking and their ability to execute those ides.

Your build is really very neat and professional. There is an exceptional SLC coming from this build. I personally love the the exhaust fabrication and can't wait to hear this thing running.

Excellent job! I am really enjoying following this thread.

Mike

Well I'm blushing :shy: .... Thanks for the compliments ...
I've been building cars for 20+ years, and have the full list of toys to help, milling machine, lathe, press, tig welders and such. But I must be honest, the SLC has been a challenge for me. Some times too much creative freedom ISN'T a good thing ! LOL

So the main reason I had to remove the oil pan was the oil lines that come from the side of the pan. Using a fabricated oil pan, you have to run lines to the filter and oil cooler. I SHOULD have noticed this on the engine stand, not months later in the car .... that's on me .. but there was no way to get the lines away from the exhaust without using multiple fittings, and I still had 1/16 of space. The solution was removing the pan. TIG welding the hole shut for the return side. Machined the pan rail flat, and returning the filtered/cooled oil to the service port on the side of the block. As you can see, much cleaner look and plenty of air space between the manifold and the cooler hoses.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 521
Yes. That is the highest temp Fire Sleeve I could get at Summit Racing.
I am also using the Nomex type cloth hose for all my lines. It also has a high temp rating. I am still considering a secondary heat shield between the lines and the bend in the exhaust tube. I may forward a couple pix to Fran for his opinion.

Not sure if I will just cut a small slot for clearance, or have a plastic shop heat it and make a bubble shape to clear the back corners. I have a while to figure it out. LoL

Hi Bob,

It's been a while. How's the build coming along?

Looking forward to seeing your car, and the innovations that you seem to seamlessly integrate into your build.

Take care Buddy.

Mike

Well I'm blushing :shy: .... Thanks for the compliments ...
I've been building cars for 20+ years, and have the full list of toys to help, milling machine, lathe, press, tig welders and such. But I must be honest, the SLC has been a challenge for me. Some times too much creative freedom ISN'T a good thing ! LOL

Bob:

Excellent build indeed. Glad to see even a seasoned builder is challenged with the SL-C. I agree on the too much freedom comment 100%. No "average Bob" here.

Aaron

Bob, I have been admiring / drooling over your build so far and wish you continued success / enjoyment as you continue on.

I am curious about the exact model and source of your Porsche / Getrag transaxle. From what I can dig up on the web it looks like a G97-50 but I am not sure. Is it a conventional H shifter or sequential, 5 or 6 speed, and where did you snag it?

Lots of nosey questions I know, but I think its a really good looking trans in your SLC.

Thx

Pete

Hello every one ! After getting a little burned out working on the car, and seeing my car fund go dry, it was time to take a break. The plan was to just take a month or two off to re-group. Well ....... That was nearly 9 months ago. But now the shop is clean again and the SL-C will be back home from storage soon. Stay tuned for the next season of "Crazy days at Bob's Garage" LOL !

Attachments

• 3-15-15.jpg
    3-15-15.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 542
Well Hello Bob ... Glad to see you back in business again. Your shop looks like it's ready for some action, nice shop! Good deal keep us all posted.
Enjoy have fun !!!

Fantastic shop Bob! I agree, its definitely ready for action. I can only hope I can have mine looking a tenth that good by summer time. :thumbsup:

Back