LT1 crate engine

Wow, that tq…
So what'll happen to the LS series down the road? Gradual replacement/cease production or will they always be available as crate engines?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
As a side note it looks like the 2015 Chevrolet Performance catalog is available for download from the same link.

What would you say were the key advantages over the LS motor?

(if any)

The only ones I could think of is the LT1 has the corvette oil pan and can be wet or dry sump. The new LS3's have the Camaro oil pan which has to be changed.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
What would you say were the key advantages over the LS motor?

(if any)

Direct injection, active fuel management, higher compression ratio, among other things: 2014 Chevrolet LT1 V8 Engine - Hot Rod Magazine

Downside for a SLC is the intake does not appear to be easily reversible. The high pressure pump for the injectors mounts on the back of the engine right where the throttle body would be if the intake was reversed.

hrdp-1302-02_2014-chevrolet-lt1-v8-engine_pcv-system

For 11k, you can pick up a new LSA. Swap the pulley and you have 650 hp. I can't decide if the LT1's improvements justify the cost as compared to a proven FI setup

Keith

Whatever floats your boat but I don't see the LT as much of a a step up in the way the Coyote was over Ford's traditional pushrod inventory.

Whatever floats your boat but I don't see the LT as much of a a step up in the way the Coyote was over Ford's traditional pushrod inventory.
As I understand it, direct injection allows you to safely run the engine lean, so helps fuel economy and efficiency, particularly at part throttle (if you still need one).

It's a major advance in engine technology IMO, offering the same level of control over fueling (quantity and timing) as individual coils did for ignition. It'll take a while for it to be fully-exploited, but reducing the need for a throttle is a big improvement - they were always a symptom of a broken design IMO.

Somewhat relevant to this thread and maybe of interest to some, Mercury Racing is currently prototyping 4V DOHC heads for the LS3. Vaporwear? Only if they don't get enough interest or it's not a feasible business plan, I saw/touched the prototype heads on their stand at SEMA.

Thought was $8000 for the heads and the rest of the required components (front dress since it does away with the pushrods) but "don't quote me on that".

Back