Luminition - any good???

I need to do some maintenance on my car and plan to change the leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs etc.

However, I was wondering if it would be advantageous to use this opertunity to upgrade the ignition system.

I don't have a massive budget as I have some other big jobs to do this year, but wondered if anybody had any suggestions as to simple / cost effective ways of improving the ignition system. Perhaps installing luminition or similar.

Any helpful suggestions would be gratefull received.

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren, For what its worth over the years I`ve used Luminition electronic ignition on all my cars, 4, 6 and 8 cylinders and have never had a problem. Its on my 40 now mainly because it was the cheapest option at the time and its never let me down, touch wood. Famous last words maybe. There are better systems out there I`m sure but its good enough for my needs. Cheers, Kev Farrington.

Pete - sorry for lack of info! It's a Ford 302. I assume it's a fairly standard dizzy.

Kev - what sort of Luminition have you used? Is is easy to set up?

Thanks very much for your responses! I'm not a mechanic, but I'm learning slowly!!!

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren,
My GTD 40 has a 302 engine and had been fitted with an Accel type 34 twin point distributer when I got it. I had problems with points pitting and the plastic heel on the points wearing causing gap to close up on points, so I decided like you to upgrade it without going over the top money wise being a Scot. I have used Alden (pertronix) electronic ign. on my much modified Healey 3000 for many years and also on my hillclimb 1380cc cooper S, so contacted Carl Dudash at Retrorockets(pertronix) in usa ([email protected]) Carl advised that I fit a Pertronix Ignitor 11 ign. kit part No. 9AC-181 along with their Flame thrower 11 45,000volt high performance coil No-4511. The ign. kit all fits inside the distributer cap and was very easy to fit, you do away with the ballast resister when using this kit. Obviously you will have to reset ignition timing after fitting the kit. The kits fitted to all three cars have never given any trouble and were not expensive. I ordered my kit from retrorockets in USA because the exchange rate was very much in my favour at that time - But the order is than despatched from Aldon engineering in England it came in three days. Alternativly you can deal directly with Aldon in England.
Alden are very helpful if you run into any problems.

Ron.

Thanks Ron.

As you said, it is way cheaper in the states! I'll have a good look at this system over the weekend.

Cheers

Darren

I've checked the car, and I have a Mallory dual point distributor.

Does anyone know the best kit suited to this particular dizzy?

Cheers

Darren

Back