McCopy mk 5

Seasons Greetings to all and sundry, the big red fella is coming tomorrow so you had all better be good.
I got my present early in the shape of a 1UZ Toyota V8, after looking at all the wires sprouting from this motor, old school Rover / Buick`s look simple...seems I may be needing some help to wire this one up.

Enjoy and don`t eat too much.
Cheers
Russell

Hi there
Pretty well got most of the chassis completed now and are just waiting for some major bits to arrive from the States. Summit has been busy delivering all manner of small bits and bobs so its almost like Christmas again.
Have started to fit brake and clutch pedals, was going to use Willwood but made my own instead, a bit heavier but $250.00 cheaper. I am also running a fixed balance bar and will fit a adjustable balance valve for the rear. Next for construction is my fuel tank, am only going to run 1 tank of around 50 liters on the passenger side as the battery and me will be on the drivers side. It will be by necessity a long skinny tank around 250 sq in section and around 800mm so will need to be baffled and have a small drop sump for the fuel take off point, I have a Summit tank cap and will also fit a gauge this time. My tame sheet metal guy has had the cheek to go on holiday till the 13th so I will just have to wait.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF3679.jpg
    DSCF3679.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 517
  • DSCF3688.jpg
    DSCF3688.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 537
  • DSCF3690.jpg
    DSCF3690.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 564
All over bar a few brackets to hold some bits and pieces, Now its time to work out some suspension dimensions /wish bone lengths and all that sort of stuff.
Certainly weighs more than my tube frame so must put on the scales.
Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF3694.jpg
    DSCF3694.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 573
This one is for Jac,
I have a Toyota 1uz fe that is going into this new build, thinking ahead about exhaust headers, I realize that this will be a compromise situation as there will be very little length, what sort of diameter should I be thinking of for the primary 4 into 1 then out thru a 65 ? mm coby style muffler and running a balance tube. Pretty much the same as my other car crossing over the trani to get a bit more length.
Its street use only so not looking for zillions of HP. I looked at a couple of sites and I do not have the info required to fill in there check sheets.
Any help always appreciated.
Russell

This one is for Jac,
I have a Toyota 1uz fe that is going into this new build, thinking ahead about exhaust headers, I realize that this will be a compromise situation as there will be very little length, what sort of diameter should I be thinking of for the primary 4 into 1 then out thru a 65 ? mm coby style muffler and running a balance tube. Pretty much the same as my other car crossing over the trani to get a bit more length.
Its street use only so not looking for zillions of HP. I looked at a couple of sites and I do not have the info required to fill in there check sheets.
Any help always appreciated.
Russell

I got bored quickly looking for what I considered reliable Data myself for valve timing so took a guess!. Used 6k as RPM factor as these things seem to be capable of up to 8-9k in relatively light state of tune.
Primary pipe dia (OD) 1.625" x 36" ( Valve to end so subtract port length ). You will probably have to make a die to press/form some 1.625 dia tube to match port exit shape. You can step the primaries if you wish & have the space &/or go longer if going with lower RPM limit.
Secondary same length and 2.25" OD. If your Coby has the expansion section at entry the tube into that section is counted as part of the length.

Thanks Jac, just been away in the `snail` down to Whitianga where the Motor Home association has opened a new club site right by the waterways. Good to get away from the grind some times. This new motorhome litrally flies and the Coromandel hills are a great leveler, giving many cars the hurry up.
Cheers and thanks.
Russell

FIRE IN THE HOLE.

Finally stuck the Toyota V8 in its resting place, still nothing to stick behind it yet, still on the boat somewhere in the Pacific.
I added 40mm to the back section which has ensured that there is plenty of room in front of the motor.
I will be fitting a remote oil filter and was thinking about fitting an oil accumulator as the previous owner had started converting this motor to dry sump and had modified the sump to reduce its capacity.
I was thinking that the accumulator and remote oil filter would compensate for the reduced sump capacity. I would think that the sump capacity had been reduced by around 500ml at the most.
Carol started her 3rd round of chemo yesterday and so far so good with no reactions other than very tired, things will slow down a bit now for the next 5 months while we go thru the process. Fingers crossed.
The M8D is a new car to Newzealand owned by Mortimer Motorsport, they did a very public run thru the streets of Matakana 60k north of here with Amanda Mclaren at the wheel doing a photo shoot. She will also be `driving` the car at a special McLaren event at the Toupo race track which has been named after Bruce Mclaren. Good guys keen on promoting things Mclaren.
Cheers
Russell

Attachments

• DSCN1609.jpg
    DSCN1609.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 542
  • DSCN1606.jpg
    DSCN1606.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 540
  • DSCN1560.jpg
    DSCN1560.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 527
Hi Russell, Good to see more progress, is the engine sitting quite high or is it just the way the photo makes it look. What is the crank centre line to floor distance.
I was at the Hampton Downs meeting on Saturday drooling over that M8F when the guy standing on the right came over and said Hi Leon! I looked at him, and he said "Gary Roper" an old friend from my Rallying days that I hadn't seen in 20 yrs. Turns out he is now Mortimer Motorsports head chassis guy. It was great to get some real info on the M8F and other stuff they are doing. Classic racing is alive and kicking in NZ fantastic meeting as I'm sure you will agree. Hope your wife is doing well and look forward to good reports on her as she goes through her treatment, my thoughts are with you.
Cheers Leon.

Leon
Bit of an optical illusion as the chassis is only 300mm high, the crank centre line is 210mm from the underside of the chassis which puts the sump 10mm up for clearance. The trans axel would like it a little higher to reduce axel inclination.
We must have been around the car about the same time when they were unloading it in the morning. Those guys are really keen on keeping the scene going...as you can see, Amanda Mclaren`s name was on the car and no sign of MrsMc at all !!!. I had long chat with their man Tony Christy, very helpfull. They are running that car at Taupo next weekend with Amanda at the wheel and we were supposed to run both my cars as a demo, sadly i will not be there with mine.
Got home from work this afternoon and Carol was in the garden working away, can not keep her still at this stage.
Regards
Russell

I have an oil accumulator that I used on my Mk 2 Jag in 1 Targa. It is currently located in Glenfield. I have some pictures if you are interested.

Hi there, this is an exhausting question, looking for jobs to do whilst waiting for parts / wheels to arrive. With the motor sitting in the chassis, I can make a start on the headers so just wondered if there was any point in going 4 into 2 into 1 .
The firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 with the left bank front to rear being 1 3 5 7.
What cylinders should I pair off?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Regards

Back