MDA Mk1 with Gulf Arches - Martin P

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Martin

You might want to plan to fit stone guards to the extra fibre glass panelling you put behind the rear wheels, it will get shot blasted by road grit!

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I was thinking along the lines of protective transparent film. Do you think that will be effective enough in that area ?
Cheers,
Martin

Malcolm

Supporter
That would need regular replacement. My panelling is seriously shot blasted, have a look when we next meet up. Can't you fix an ali panel over the top? Of course you could try the transparent film first and then cover with something else later.

Hi Martin

Where are you going to put your front indicators - for SVA purposes? This has been a bit of a pain on my build as you can't get the range of vision if they are mounted in the lower light housing.

Chris

FYI - 3M transparent film comes in many thicknesses, the stuff now being promoted for front gross protection of bumpers and hoods looks relatively nice if applied professionally. But is not up to the task in areas you are concerned about. For that you would need a "stone guard" film which is much thicker (commonly seen in clear on the front side of some 911 flares and 944 fear flares). This film can take much more abuse although in the end it might start looking shoddy after many years and miles.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Fabulous job you're doing there, Martin. Love the work you did with the sill panels!

I wonder if, instead of using transparent film behind the wheels to slow down the wear from road grit, there might be a good color match for the bed liner material which some of the other builders are using under the chassis. We've all seen the grey, black and a few other colors but being able to come up with something in the right shade of Scuderia Filipinetti might be an appealing option.

Best,

T.

Thanks for the helpfull advise guys.
Chris - I was thinking of mounting my indicators within the headlamp recess towards the front. I've seen a few cars with them mounted there and they look O.K. For SVA there will be no covers fitted but finally, when the covers are fitted, I think it will disguise them enough not to be an eye sore. I really wanted the Gulf Spots below, so it was never an option for me to mount them there.

I wonder if, instead of using transparent film behind the wheels to slow down the wear from road grit, there might be a good color match for the bed liner material which some of the other builders are using under the chassis. We've all seen the grey, black and a few other colors but being able to come up with something in the right shade of Scuderia Filipinetti might be an appealing option.

Here's a DIY tintable bed liner. I bought some for my Pantera engine compartment but haven't used it yet. Click on "Products" then "Speciality Coatings".

United Kingdom - Products and Info

After much admustment, sanding, filling, grinding, shaping and more sanding, i'm finally happy with the fit of the rear body and i've gapped the passenger side from front to back. The drivers side is still to do but it shouldn't take me as long as it's quite close already. I've also dropped the car on the springs to see what it will look like when the weight is on. It still has about 1.5cm left to drop before it's right, but it's close enough for now. Hope you enjoy the pics,
Cheers,
Martin

Attachments

• Fit and Gaps 1[640x480].JPG
    Fit and Gaps 1[640x480].JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,404
  • Gaps on Near Side[640x480].JPG
    Gaps on Near Side[640x480].JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,432
  • Side Profile[640x480].JPG
    Side Profile[640x480].JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,366
  • Front Profile[640x480].JPG
    Front Profile[640x480].JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,344
Martin, you might also want to consider flairing out the sills to get the lower profile right, Frank

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,421
The sills don't seem to flare so much on 1075. (the transition between the siil and arch is not a smooth curve, and it seems that martin has replicated this) But then again we don't know what Martin is replicating (or if he's replicating anything at all...) so i could be talking rubbish. Are you replicating an original Martin? or is it going to be your own design?

Joe

Attachments

• gt40 arch.jpg
    gt40 arch.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,463
Yes, I think Joe is correct, there is no "right" in any of these cars, they were all individual and different, just an alternative then. Frank

Thanks Frank,
Funnily enough, my eye was drawn to this area as well, as not being quite as flowing as other areas of the car. As Joe pointed out 1075 wasn't flowing in that area either. hmmmm. I'll sleep on it.:coolgleam:
Cheers guys,
Martin

Good weather in the U.K this weekend so i decided to fit my light covers. They are Repsol perspex and don't like being manipulated in cold conditions. Even with my attention to spacing and using a heat gun to make sure they were plyable, I still managed to crack the passenger side headlight cover.. Bugger ! It was a bad fit to start with so I'll try again with a new one soon I hope.
The other covers fitted a treat and I found trimming and drilling them quite easy. It was only the top bend that posed some questions.

The bodywork on the drivers side is coming on nicely. You can just see it in the backround. Gaps look good, just a bit of finishing work.
I've been looking at photos of 1075 and I'm pretty happy with the sill to rear arch lines. I like Franks' car very much, it looks very aggressive, but for now I'm going to stick with what I've got as I see it's a pretty close replication of the original.
Martin

Attachments

• Light Covers [640x480].JPG
    Light Covers [640x480].JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,061
Pressing on, Drivers side passenger window fitted with Matt Black inner door recess.

Attachments

• Side Window [640x480].JPG
    Side Window [640x480].JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,128
Blacked out NACA ducts also. Will probably open them up post SVA test.

Attachments

• Blacked out NACA Ducts[640x480].JPG
    Blacked out NACA Ducts[640x480].JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,042
Faster than expected I've now completed the drivers side in terms of gapping the body.

Attachments

• Offside Gaps [640x480].JPG
    Offside Gaps [640x480].JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Offside Gaps1 [640x480].JPG
    Offside Gaps1 [640x480].JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 985
  • Side View Offside1 [640x480].JPG
    Side View Offside1 [640x480].JPG
    79 KB · Views: 996
Back