Mid-engine vette?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Imagine this sound in the new FGT... Instead they built a rolling F150 pickup truck advert.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ku1kDX1Q3ss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but the Vulcan is hideous. It sounds pretty good.

I agree. The new GT should sound like a Gt40. But this is the new world we live in. Sad.

For those unfamiliar with the sound of straight cut gears, that Vulcan video above is a good example. Even with fairly loud exhaust, the gear whine is very noticeable. On a street car with reasonable exhaust, it could get quite annoying!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...On a street car with reasonable exhaust, it could get quite annoying!

I've installed the "noisy" (straight cut version) Jackson Gear Drive on a couple of my street machines. 'Sound is far preferable to some of the racket that's been passed off as "music" for the past decade or two! That stuff gets annoying! :D

I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but the Vulcan is hideous. It sounds pretty good.

I agree. The new GT should sound like a Gt40. But this is the new world we live in. Sad.

While I too prefer the sound of a V8 I find all the F150 eco boost handwringing pretty funny as the original 40 essentially used a truck motor variant as well. Time and technology march on

Keith

Must be something wrong with me as I thought the Aston looks great, and I like the sight & sound of the new Ford GT..

Is all hope now gone?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
While I too prefer the sound of a V8 I find all the F150 eco boost handwringing pretty funny as the original 40 essentially used a truck motor variant as well. Time and technology march on

Eco-boost peekum truck sound. Sounds like green apple splatters...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EGabsXD9lpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I want whatever peekum truck sounds like this

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TpmtKrUkjZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While I agree the classic GT's sound better, the new ones were built to do well in races per current rules, and they are! I saw them take their first class win at Laguna this year and they were much quicker than the older cars they compete against. Granted IMSA's BOP has a lot to do with who is competitive and who is not, but we also saw similar changes to the P class in US and International races in the past 20 years - from 333SP, R&S Mk III, Panoz LMP1, to Audi R8, R10, now the Hybrids, etc. The newer cars sounded like vacuum cleaners compared to the older ones, but they were so fast and efficient and if they win, then the lovely sounds don't really matter much.

Except to the fans who long for the old days, which I think will only be in historic and gentlemen's racing. I do not look forward to the day when there's an entire race of electric cars whooshing around!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Except to the fans who long for the old days...I do not look forward to the day when there's an entire race of electric cars whooshing around!

...very likely being 'driven' by remote control as well.

To many, the sound is just as important as the go...maybe just a smidgeon more so.

It's the same in unlimited hydro racing. All the modern boats are turbine powered as opposed to being Rolls or Allison piston engine powered.........dullsville. Relatively speaking, the turbos put you to sleep whereas the piston boats wake the dead.

Unlimiteds used to be referred to as "Thunder Boats". Now they're just called unlimited hydros...and for good reason.

What's the line from the Janice Joplin song again? "...you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..."?

'No truer words.

I want whatever peekum truck sounds like this

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TpmtKrUkjZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

By my calculations you are 0.310", three lengths of exh tubing, a lesson on how to bend exh tube with sandfill, an oxy/acet welding tutorial, a few basic tools and some sweat equity away from that sound...thats all..:)

Back