Mid-engine vette?

c8top.jpg
mid-engine-corvette-prototype-spy-photos-11.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Talked with a Corvette owner this weekend at the track, and his take on all of this was he felt the pushrod motor is at it's emissions limits (perhaps something the larger variable overhead cam motors are better at addressing?), and that a larger motor to address that issue requires more room, added to the notion that the depiction of a true performace car is that of a mid-engine configuration, and you have GM preparing for future sales.

BTW, saw a lime green SL-C on the track there as well (Cresson, TX). Member?

Talked with a Corvette owner this weekend at the track, and his take on all of this was he felt the pushrod motor is at it's emissions limits (perhaps something the larger variable overhead cam motors are better at addressing?), and that a larger motor to address that issue requires more room, added to the notion that the depiction of a true performace car is that of a mid-engine configuration, and you have GM preparing for future sales.

BTW, saw a lime green SL-C on the track there as well (Cresson, TX). Member?

I would love to see GM offer a lightweight, compact DOHC V8, but the proof is in the pudding. The LSx pushrod setup gets better MPG than many V6's and even give some 4's a run for it's money.

The great thing about the pushrod setup is,, it can give you lots of power, low cost, variable displacement, lightweight, small engine footprint vs it's displacement.

I would like to see how the other high performance V8's stack up in terms of MPG, emissions and weight.

The next evolution would have to be quite radical. Maybe the hybrid route, with electric assist and smaller displacement engine (turbos?) ala P1

The profile reminds me of the Saleen S7.

Take the corvette LMP mid engine car. Squish it down a bit. Make it fatter for clientele. Sell for $125k.

The raptor is huge... Not even close to the new C8
I had the moulds at the shop for a while when we doing a chassis study for ASC ... The real owners of the S5

The raptor is huge... Not even close to the new C8
I had the moulds at the shop for a while when we doing a chassis study for ASC ... The real owners of the S5

Good to know,, I didn't realize the raptor was such a big vehicle. All the pics I seen didn't have anything next to it as a basis for comparison.

Keith

I would love to see GM offer a lightweight, compact DOHC V8, but the proof is in the pudding. The LSx pushrod setup gets better MPG than many V6's and even give some 4's a run for it's money.

The great thing about the pushrod setup is,, it can give you lots of power, low cost, variable displacement, lightweight, small engine footprint vs it's displacement.

I would like to see how the other high performance V8's stack up in terms of MPG, emissions and weight.

The next evolution would have to be quite radical. Maybe the hybrid route, with electric assist and smaller displacement engine (turbos?) ala P1

I think you meant the proof of the pudding is in the eating! Anyway, there is absolutely no doubt of the bang for buck you get from good old Detroit pushrods but I can't see that GM will persevere with that tech for much longer in mainstream production. But the aftermarket in USA and elsewhere is still huge for crate PR V8 motors so it will probably be available for many years yet. However, an OHC multi-valve smaller capacity probably 'blown' arrangement is clearly the way forward for many reasons, emissions being only one of the many advantages of this tech. Judging by the howls of protest that greeted the arrival of the new Ford GT, it's going to be a difficult transition for many, but it is the future none-the-less., even if they do sound like 'ricers' :laugh:

Personally I love all high performance engines and have also had a long lasting love affair with Detroits finest push rods, but I would have Ford's V6 turbo motor in a heartbeat. With 20% better fuel efficiency and lower emissions plus no real end stop on power, what's not to like?

GM would be nuts not to finally get on this 21st century performance ladder..

Now retiring into my slit trench with helmet on :)

I think you meant the proof of the pudding is in the eating! Anyway, there is absolutely no doubt of the bang for buck you get from good old Detroit pushrods but I can't see that GM will persevere with that tech for much longer in mainstream production. But the aftermarket in USA and elsewhere is still huge for crate PR V8 motors so it will probably be available for many years yet. However, an OHC multi-valve smaller capacity probably 'blown' arrangement is clearly the way forward for many reasons, emissions being only one of the many advantages of this tech. Judging by the howls of protest that greeted the arrival of the new Ford GT, it's going to be a difficult transition for many, but it is the future none-the-less., even if they do sound like 'ricers' :laugh:

Personally I love all high performance engines and have also had a long lasting love affair with Detroits finest push rods, but I would have Ford's V6 turbo motor in a heartbeat. With 20% better fuel efficiency and lower emissions plus no real end stop on power, what's not to like?

GM would be nuts not to finally get on this 21st century performance ladder..

Now retiring into my slit trench with helmet on :)

Your correction of the expression is noted.

Yes, I did mention the next evolution after the pushrod would be a small displacement/forced induction with a good chance of electric assisted motors.

I believe it was popular mechanics that did a road test with the C7 Corvette. They did exactly 55mph on a cruise in economy mode. The car did 37.5mpg. The engine only weighs less than 400lbs, and allows for a very low profile.

On another note, I almost think it would be a mistake to abandon the current layout and go with mid-engine. You are now pricing Corvette in the $100k range to start (which I'm all for, Mid-Engine cars need to be rear, so my SLC will still be a rear bird :thumbsup: )

I hope it's some special limited edition (like the Ford GT).

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, I did mention the next evolution after the pushrod would be a small displacement/forced induction with a good chance of electric assisted motors.

Electric assist is a great function, because with electric motors you get full torque from a dead stop...use the torque of the electric motor to get the car going in a hurry and switch to engine power once the RPM's are in the engine's power range.

It's the best of both worlds...if it weren't for the weight of the batteries :stunned:

Cheers!

Doug

Electric assist is a great function, because with electric motors you get full torque from a dead stop...use the torque of the electric motor to get the car going in a hurry and switch to engine power once the RPM's are in the engine's power range.

It's the best of both worlds...if it weren't for the weight of the batteries :stunned:

Cheers!

Doug

I actually had an idea that would make it possible to use smaller batteries, a smaller engine, and have stump pulling torque.

Use a small displacement V8,, say 3.5L or so,, then have an electric turbo setup that acts as both a turbo, and a generator. Heres how

1. At very low RPM, the electric spins up the turbo for instant boost. Figure if you are running 1 bar from idle,, you could technically have the power/torque of a 7L out of a 3.5L,, granted you lose some horse through loses in thermal efficiency

2. You no longer use a wastegate,, instead,, you now use the same electric motors to keep the turbine at a constant speed, while at the same time generating electricity. You'de be suprised how much power a turbo captures off wasted exhaust energy.

3. You would only need small batteries as they would be constantly charged by the both regenerative breaking and the turbo when on full throttle.

I believe F1 might be trying this in the near future. You would definitly need to go to a 48v system. As 12 volts would require WAAAY to many amps to spool up a turbocharger

I hope it's some special limited edition (like the Ford GT).

That was my hope too - make it the ZR1 and allow homologation for racing against the GT, Ferrari, etc. Leave the front engine for the Stingray and Z06.

I think it'd give them a halo car they don't currently have.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
but I would have Ford's V6 turbo motor in a heartbeat

Shut your eyes before you hit play and try and decide if you're listening to a Honda or a Toyota. I mean they look decent but that sound is pathetic...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uoHmfT-ZQBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They don't sound bad on the race track.

That's what I love about Le Mans style racing - all of the different sounds. Sadly these days there aren't many (or any) 10 and 12 cylinders. The Judd V-10 was an amazing (ear splitting) sound, as was the V-12 in the 333SP.

They don't sound bad on the race track.

That's what I love about Le Mans style racing - all of the different sounds. Sadly these days there aren't many (or any) 10 and 12 cylinders. The Judd V-10 was an amazing (ear splitting) sound, as was the V-12 in the 333SP.

I absolutely loved the sound the 333sp during the 24hr rolex.

Back