Mitch Krause's RCR GT40 Build

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Al,

Ouch... That wouldn't be good... I have had the engine installed with the headers and I don't recall any contact with the clip, but that was a number of years ago so I can't be sure unless I put the engine and transaxle back in the car...
Did you get any pictures you could share? I will dig up some pics of my headers and maybe you can tell me if they were the same as those you have..
Thanks for the heads up!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Okay coming full circle on the potential contact issue...

After sifting through a few thousand pictures on three different computers, I have a few pics that show that I have at least three inches at the closest point from a tube on the left bank.

I will be using a heat barrier on the bottomside of the clip as well..

Al, the only thing I can think of is the configuration of the engine and transaxle. I recall that those cars using Audi trnasaxles have to have the engine mounted higher in the chassis to keep an acceptable angle on the axle shafts to the stub axles in the uprights..

Hmm... I have the exact same setup as you do, Randy; SBF 331, G50, same chassis, etc....except I have a QuickFuel 680 instead of your induction system. The carb clears the window even with a 1" spacer block on top of the high rise manifold and an air cleaner so it must be the headers themselves. I don't know if these are made in a jig or made up individually, only Fran would know.

Attachments

• RCR40 compl24.JPG
    RCR40 compl24.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 749
  • GT40, throttle cable and fuel supply lines for QF 680.jpg
    GT40, throttle cable and fuel supply lines for QF 680.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 770

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for posting the pics... I finally got these off my old Mac computer.
We have different headers. Also - I think my engine is moved further forward as my block plate is roughly 2-3/8" from the Horseshoe..

IMG_0483_zpswhjdmyuk.jpg

IMG_1087_zpsfwhu88hq.jpg

IMG_0510_zpsor1rwtqk.jpg

IMG_0511_zpspegw0rhv.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I wish I had an update --- the GT has been parked in the shop and basically untouched since we brought our fifth wheel camper home... I have been rebuilding / refurbishing / remodeling the camper ever since.
We will be wintering in Arizona in this camper so there's something to be said for having your "house in order"....
Also - new news...
I will be retiring from my 43 year long career in Information Technology on October 2nd.
Next spring when we return, work on the GT will begin in earnest....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 578
Holy Moly, now thats is a big camper, How long is that thing Randy and is that a Super Duty Dualie on the front because that camper makes it look like HiLux LOL.

My wife and I are looking to do the same (but smaller) when I retire in a few yrs and do the "Grey Nomad" thing for a few yrs around NZ and Aussie.

Cheers Leon

I will be retiring from my 43 year long career in Information Technology on October 2nd.
Next spring when we return, work on the GT will begin in earnest....

We will see that Randy:drunk: hehe. Retirees have less time on their hand, how they manage that -- I have no clue.

Congraz on retirement, make the best out of it - I'll watch for your posts in the spring!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Holy Moly, now thats is a big camper, How long is that thing Randy and is that a Super Duty Dualie on the front because that camper makes it look like HiLux LOL.

My wife and I are looking to do the same (but smaller) when I retire in a few yrs and do the "Grey Nomad" thing for a few yrs around NZ and Aussie.

Cheers Leon

Hi Leon..
The camper is 40' long, 13'6" Tall and 102" wide.. She comes in at roughly 18,000#...
The truck is a 2015 Ford F350 Super Duty crew-cab Dually with a diesel engine.
At 440 HP and 860 TQ, the truck does not even break a sweat dragging it down the road. :thumbsup:

We will see that Randy:drunk: hehe. Retirees have less time on their hand, how they manage that -- I have no clue.

Congraz on retirement, make the best out of it - I'll watch for your posts in the spring!

Pete - Thank you....
I am really looking forward to those days...
A good friend of mine calls retirement a week with six Saturdays and a Sunday. :)
He also says that when he gets up in the morning, he has absolutely nothing to do, and when he goes to bed he's got only half of it done...
My job has consumed me from 12 to 16+ hours a day and late last spring it robbed me of my health. I'm mostly recovered now and hope to not have those problems again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 517

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Good on you Randy.
I'm sure after a winter break, the continuation of the build will be 10 x more enjoyable, without the stresses of work.
I've endured ill health through work, so i know where you are coming from.
It's funny you know, if i look back, it wasn't the job that was the cause,
it always was the b*st**d manager..... Self employment cures that.
Hey, we expect photo updates during your stay in Arizona, no slacking please.
:thumbsup:

You enjoy that time in the Arizona sun and your retirement, you won't know yourself.

One doesn't want to wish the yrs away but I can't wait for the day I can get up in the morning and just think "What do WE want to do today" My job sought of gives me a clue what it will be like as I work a month away and have a month off and believe me that month is gone in a flash.

Cheers Leon

That's what I thought when I retired, just sit back and watch the world go by with a nice glass of red, but for some unknown reason i'm busier now than I ever was working. bugger.

kaspa

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Randy - Congratulations on your pending retirement! Even if you are busy once you retire, hopefully it will be due to things you CHOOSE to do rather than what work tends to force on a person. I envy you.

That looks like quite the winter home! I've visited AZ in the summer and wouldn't recommend it but I understand that winter is much more pleasant. The funny thing is I'm actually looking forward to winter - crazy, I know ;-)

Dave L

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys - very much appreciated...

It won't be long now!!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mitch's GT40 Build Log - Continued...

It's been a long time since my last post on this build log. This was not the post I ever thought I would be making. Work on the GT ground to a halt after illness forced my retirement late in 2015.
Although my love for the GT40 and cars of this era has never been stronger - Life has taken another direction and it became obvious that I would likely never finish the GT.
Enter Mitch.
Mitch lives not far from me in Minnesota and shares the same love for these cars that we all have.
We have agreed on a price and ownership of RCR40 #45 has transferred to Mitch.
This build thread will be appropriately labeled in the next couple of days to reflect Mitch's continuation of the build.
I'd like to take just a moment to congratulate Mitch on his new project and welcome him once again to the GT40s.com forums. :thumbsup:

---
Oh and in case you're wondering about me and my status around here - I don't see that changing. As I said earlier, my love for these cars is very strong and I love interacting with you all.. :heart:
---
Take it away Mitch! :thumbsup:

Dang Randy, really sorry to hear that. You put a lot of work into that project and I've enjoyed watching your progress. Please do keep hanging around though. :)

Hey Randy,
Sorry to hear that. It's a long road to complete an RCR 40, but so much fun once you get there. If you end up passing through CO or if I end up doing that 24 hour stint in mine, which would take me towards AZ, you can take a ride in mine!

Back