MR2 spyders. your take?

well just curious, mid engine and rwd and all. im selling me jeep in favor of something fun thats gets decent mileage. just thought id get some opinions here

also open to any suggest of other roadster type cars.

Mark, good call. Never thought of that.

MR2 has always received good reviews. Just remember it doesn't have the power of a V-8.

[ QUOTE ]

Just remember it doesn't have the power of a V-8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember the MR2 Turbo a few years ago.. it was a high 13 1/4 mile car... it was pretty fast for what is was. The newer MR2's are nice, if not a little cute. The last generation was my favorite. If you could find a low mileage turbo, that would be fun on the road and track.

-Shannon

[ QUOTE ]
Mark, good call. Never thought of that.

MR2 has always received good reviews. Just remember it doesn't have the power of a V-8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, the MR2 engine is going into the US spec Lotus Elise
(or was it the Celica?). The numbers are very very good
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian

I remember an article i read in a magazine that was trying to get something like 500 hp out of a turbo motor without opening it up to change internals. I seem to remember it was about 30 hp shy when the motor meltedon the dyno, turns out an auxilery fuel pump switch wasnt turned on and it was running a little lean. Pretty impressive though.

Ron Earp

Admin
Mark, good guess on the M40 kit!

I would just stick with a gutted Spyder though. Turbo that thing and get on with it, it'd be fast as snot and handle well.

Ron

I owned a 1991 model MR2 (that’s the mini Ferrari look) a few year ago and found it to be an incredible car. In fact it did things a little too well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif To really get a buzz out of it, it HAD to be driven hard.

The first generation of the mini-Ferraris apparently snapped away more easily at the rear under hard cornering. The second generation re-located the front suspension points to soften the effect, but the trade-off was that it lost some grip. The two models could most easily be distinguished by the earlier cars having 13" wheels and the later 14" wheels.

There was a motoring article that was published around the time of my ownership that compared handling between various cars. The MR2 was the only car tested (including a 911 Porsche) that could pull more than 1G laterally.

With regards to using the MR2 as a donor car...
Surely the MR2 is far too small to be a practicle GT40 donor??? Secondly, there was nothing miraculous about the MR2 mid-engine settup. It was basically a Corrola FWD engine transposed to back of the driver. There is a Porsche "James Dean" Spider replica (built in New Zealand I think) that uses this concept with the Subaru Impreza engine.

[ QUOTE ]
Nice car. My bet is that it will be the "single donor" behind the M40, if that kit ever makes it to market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, that would not be the 'single donor,' and neither is the Fiero.

Although, to be honest, there's a heck of a GT40 replica being made out of a Fiero that doesn't look at all bad.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/024195.html

Your pal,
Meat.

Back