Name That Plane

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I always thought this was one of the nicest looking aircraft of all time.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Molleur,

Yes, you are right, fairly easy, but I just could not resist sharing this thing of beauty with the non-aircraft buffs.

At least with that windshield the pilots could see clearly just exactly who it was that shot them right out of the sky :sad:

Indeed nice looking...I sense some Eye-talian influence in the front glass area :)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Hay Rob,

Yes, the Rainbow had the misfortune to come out just as jets were changing everything.

I wanted to let you know that they have fenced off our Santana Row area, they are building a multi-story garage. So we have moved to the back parking lot, to the left of the old place.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Here is another, way too easy for you aircraft guys, but beautiful none the less.

de-havilland-hornet.jpg
Send

The plane is full size solid wood. 12 feet high and 5 meter long. It can be seen from State Highway # 16 north from Helensville, about 2.4 miles north from Kaukapakapa village.

Its I.D. plate is attached.

Z.C.

Attachments

• plane 1.JPG
    plane 1.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 461
I saw this unusual plane the other day at Motat Auckland.

A few questions that is non political.

Have you ever seen one? Do you know the name of it etc,etc, etc?

Z.C.

Attachments

• guess 1.jpg
    guess 1.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 432
AirTruk IIRC- not sure on spelling, was one on display at Ashburton air museum. Found a photo.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
As I understand the Airtruck is a specially designed high end crop duster. Quite an interesting plane.

Speaking of aircraft, I'm going to be driving the plastic Ford down to Chino for the May 4-5th Planes of Fame Airshow. This is a wonderful "warbird" gathering at the Chino Airport. This year the featured aircraft is the Lockeed P-38.

They hope to have 3 to 5 flying P-38s, that should be something to see!

Some of the other aircraft flying are:

P-51 Mustangs
P-40 Warhawks
F4F Wildcats
F6F Hellcats
F7F Tigercats
F8F Bearcats
F4U Corsairs
SBD Dauntless
AD Skyraiders
P-47 thunderbolts
TBM Avengers
B-25 Mitchells
J2f Ducks
A6m Zero with original motor
F-86s
Mig-15s
F-16s
B-17s
B-24s
Seafury
Northrop N9M Flying Wing prototype

Plus many more, as well as their huge collection of non-flyers, most early jets, race planes.......

If you are in the So Cal area, this is a show not to be missed!

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
John,

Yes, the "Jack" is one of my favorites too, big beautiful, sturdy looking aircraft, I'm glad they missed your dad.

It would really be something to see it fly, but as far as I know, this the last of its kind and will be kept on the ground.

Plus if you look close, the fit and finish is fairly poor, built towards the end of rhe war. Probably best to keep this one on the ground.

Looking back thru this thread it seems as if Molleur has super powers. He was able to give answers without having a pic to look at!!!!

I just wonder where have some of the previous pics gone?

Z.C.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Not a popular air force but....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 318
Back